No rings to rule them all?

Viper

A little surprised this story hasn't been discussed more in these parts:

After the Mavericks clinched the franchise's first championship with Sunday night's win over the Miami Heat, Cuban said he might reward his team with something other than "old school" rings.

"Rings are done," Cuban told NBA TV. "It's time to take it to the next level."

But the consensus opinion among the Mavericks, who conducted exit interviews Tuesday, is that now is not the time to break from tradition.

Seems to me Cuban is treading on the edge of a slippery slope here. He seems to think rings aren't "good enough" to commemorate a championship anymore. But if other teams (in the NBA and elsewhere) buy into this idea as Cuban seems to be hoping, it won't be long before team owners start trying to one-up each other with more and more unconventional and/or expensive baubles every time one of them wins a championship. That would be silly under any circumstances, but in this economy with so many people hurting financially, starting this kind of trend could backfire PR-wise on Cuban in a big way.

CCSLC signature.png

I imagine Cuban saying all that breathlessly, "Rings are played out. We have to take it to the next level. A braclet! It's like a RING for your wrist! Or a necklace. It'd be like a RING for your neck! Or a belt...no, belts are played out... I know, suspenders! It'd be like double RINGS for your torso! Cuban, you genius, you!"

Mark%20Cuban.jpg

I've never heard anyone really complain about rings before. Its a nice momento to say that you've won a title.

If they want to switch though I don't care. Its your title, can do whatever you want as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather a ring though. I'll take a braclet if I win a poker tournament.

Put my vote towards issuing championship belts.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Probably bracelets and rings. Hell, the man is paying for the entire parade, so I bet he can afford both. But yeah, I saw the PTI interview too and Dirk seemed like he definitely wanted to go the old school route with this championship.

I am thinking the same thing. Give the actual team members a belt and the rest of the staff a ring. That could be the best use of the current WWE title belt format too.

Title belts (in addition to rings) would be cool. But since its a Texas team what about (in addition to rings) a rodeo style belt buckle?

They already got leaked. The one star stands for the one championship :wink2:

http://bit.ly/m50l6t

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

They need something to wear around when they go to events, partys and auto signings. I don't think you would want to do that wearing a big belt, a ring is just so much easier.

t5ty54wyetw_zpsubqd9h5t.jpg

St. Paul Pioneers(GHA) Minnesota Skeeters(CL) Minnesota Lake Monsters(UFL)

Archived