No rings to rule them all?

Viper

A little surprised this story hasn't been discussed more in these parts:

After the Mavericks clinched the franchise's first championship with Sunday night's win over the Miami Heat, Cuban said he might reward his team with something other than "old school" rings.

"Rings are done," Cuban told NBA TV. "It's time to take it to the next level."

But the consensus opinion among the Mavericks, who conducted exit interviews Tuesday, is that now is not the time to break from tradition.

Seems to me Cuban is treading on the edge of a slippery slope here. He seems to think rings aren't "good enough" to commemorate a championship anymore. But if other teams (in the NBA and elsewhere) buy into this idea as Cuban seems to be hoping, it won't be long before team owners start trying to one-up each other with more and more unconventional and/or expensive baubles every time one of them wins a championship. That would be silly under any circumstances, but in this economy with so many people hurting financially, starting this kind of trend could backfire PR-wise on Cuban in a big way.

I imagine Cuban saying all that breathlessly, "Rings are played out. We have to take it to the next level. A braclet! It's like a RING for your wrist! Or a necklace. It'd be like a RING for your neck! Or a belt...no, belts are played out... I know, suspenders! It'd be like double RINGS for your torso! Cuban, you genius, you!"

Mark%20Cuban.jpg

I've never heard anyone really complain about rings before. Its a nice momento to say that you've won a title.

If they want to switch though I don't care. Its your title, can do whatever you want as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather a ring though. I'll take a braclet if I win a poker tournament.

Dirk was on PTI and said all the players told Cuban that they'd rather have rings. He said Cuban had suggested something like a bracelet. I think he'll end up doing rings.

Probably bracelets and rings. Hell, the man is paying for the entire parade, so I bet he can afford both. But yeah, I saw the PTI interview too and Dirk seemed like he definitely wanted to go the old school route with this championship.

I am thinking the same thing. Give the actual team members a belt and the rest of the staff a ring. That could be the best use of the current WWE title belt format too.

Archived