American Association: Project Completed!

CAB

Teams:

Amarillo Dusters // logos // uniforms

El Paso Diablos // logos // uniforms

Fargo-Moorhead Redhawks // logos // uniforms

Fort Worth Panthers // logos // uniforms

Gary RailCats // logos // uniforms

Grand Prairie AirHogs // logos // uniforms

Kansas City Stallions // logos // uniforms

Lincoln Saltdogs // logos // uniforms

Shreveport SwampDragons // logos // uniforms

Sioux City Explorers // logos // uniforms

Sioux Falls Canaries // logos // uniforms

St Paul Saints // logos // uniforms

Wichita Wings // logos // uniforms

Winnipeg Goldeyes // logos // uniforms

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm assuming many of you don't know who this team is, so a brief background is necessary. The Sioux City Explorers are an indpendent minor league baseball team, not affiliated with any MLB clubs. They were established in 1996 in Sioux City, Iowa. It's basically my hometown team, even though I very rarely go to games. And neither do a whole lot of other people. I guess they drew really big crowds in the 90's when they were new, but it's much different now. The only time the park is packed is on silly promotional nights. They're trying to do more to draw fans in this year I think, so I figured what better to help with that than some new logos! They could use something different, and it would espcially help with merchandise and all that jazz. Their current logo is pretty outdated (never changed their whole existence). It's kinda stuck in the 90's, I just wanted to update it and bring it into the 21st century. It's pretty much the same other than I added a compass rose to tie in more with the 'explorer' theme. Here's the old version compared to my new one.

5833987486_ff41c72707_b.jpg

They were named for Lewis and Clark, so the alternate logo is an explorer looking through a telescope of sorts. Here's that logo included with the rest in the logo sheet.

5833988230_0e258da634_b.jpg

And the uniforms. Vests with black undershirts, explorer logo on the sleeve. They don't have much of a uniform history, so I felt like I could go in any direction with these. The road uniforms are the goldish color, along with a black alternate (if they could afford one).

5833432911_cb687af147_b.jpg

Alright, tell me what you think! C&C is appreciated.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not too thrilled about the primary logo with the wordmark, it doesn't exactly have a nice flow to it. However, everything else looks fantastic.

I don't know what to suggest for the primary, it just doesn't feel like it has a great flow to it. I don't know what it is, just feels kind of crowded and disorganized.

The uni's look pretty good, the road ones pop out a lot and just strike me as the best of the bunch. Very nice work.

I like the alternate, but I think it should be flipped to look West.

The stacked logo needs more room between Sioux City and Explorers...the overlapping hides too much of the bottom word.

I don't like the white outline only used on the red...maybe you should add a white outline around everything so it's uniform across all color applications.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I really like the alternate logo.

I think the primary looks a bit cluttered. The action lines may not be needed, and I feel like more could be done to spice up the big "X". Perhaps changing the perspective? Or encase the whole thing in a circle to make it more compass like? That way the wordmarks can wrap around and not compete for real estate.

moralvirus-- It does look pretty busy, I'll see what I can do to un-clutter it.

slapshot-- That's a brilliant idea to flip it the opposite direction, can't believe I didn't think of that!

funkatron-- A circle might be a good idea too, I'll try it out.

Any other comments? Anything at all?

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

I like the jerseys and the hats. I looove the logo with the explorer man! I really do. It remind me of LaSalle's logo (I think it's LaSalle) but yours is better. It would look nice on an alternative hat.

As far as the primary and hat logo, it's ok but not a huge improvement. I'd even say I like the way the real current logo has some motion better. The S is kind of crunched under the compass too. The ball might would look better if the streaks were attached to the ball just slightly rather than separated by the black outline.

Those are just a few things, but what you have in the primary is pretty good, just not great in my opinion. The one with the explorer is top-notch.

I like the logos, but the word mark I think could use some fine tuning, maybe same font, but thinner or with a thinner outline. Also I think in this case the font for "Sioux City" and "Explorers" should be the same. You could maybe alter the colors of the city name and team name.

speaking of colors you said there's not much history with the uniforms, is the any reason/history behind their colors of red, vegas gold and black? It just doesn't seem like Iowa Colors too me - I've not lived in Iowa, but my dad's from there and I have family still living in Iowa, but not Sioux City. When I go to or think of Iowa, I tend to get a feeling of Green/gold or Navy/Midnight Purple (for the night sky) and a gold.

Not trying to steal your thunder, but I'm thinking, more this color scheme: Baby/sky blue, Green and Wheat/light gold. Here's an example:

screenshot20110615at927.png

Like others have said, I don't know if the primary is as good as the logo they use now. It's kinda static in comparison. That alternate logo with the explorer is MONEY. Maybe you could base your rebrand on that and incorporate a wordmark.

Great work!

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

@jaha32-- I've seen that logo before and at first when I was making it I was making it I was afraid they'd be too similar. But now I checked and they're very different so it's all good. Glad you like mine better! The streak thing with the ball was something I thought about, but I decided against it. I'll try it out and see how that looks.

@DaRadniz29-- Don't worry you're not stealing my thunder, I'm glad you gave a suggestion. There's not a huge history behind their colors, but I like them well enough to keep it the same. And I think most people around here do too. All I really changed was incorporating the gold into the uniforms. While those would be good colors for an Iowa-based team, I don't feel that it fits the name 'Explorers' too well. I also think it fits the time period of Lewis & Clark. If you notice I made up a random name for the gold as "parchment gold", because that's what I think of when I see that color; like Lewis & Clark's journal or something. I'm also gonna have to agree with jaha that that color scheme looks a little too 90's.

@undead-- Thanks man, I might try to go in that direction with this. Idk, I'll see how it looks as a primary logo.

I will get around to updating this in the future, but I'm leaving on vacation tomorrow for about 10 days and won't be able to work on it. Feel free to give more C&C though!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I think I'm going to base this rebrand off of the explorer logo (which everybody seems to like better). Here is what I think will be my primary logo. By sheer luck the explorer logo fits perfectly in with the wordmark. I will post an entire logo sheet once I have everything how I like. I'm thinking an interlocking SC for the cap logo. If anyone has some more C&C on this or the "X's" logo, then please comment.

5892002000_787b398ab3_z.jpg

Only comment there is that the explorer is facing "backwards" which may not convey the right image. Otherwise I like how you executed it.

liverpool-1.png

Only comment there is that the explorer is facing "backwards" which may not convey the right image. Otherwise I like how you executed it.

Not that everyone should be expected to read everything, but this has already been discussed above. He's facing west.

I like the updates. Maybe throwing some element of baseball into it my work (bat, ball, diamond) but maybe not. It could just clutter it up. I like what you did here.

I think it looks great, though the Explorer's wordmark looks a little drab and is undermined by how small it is in comparison to the city name. Maybe enlarge it some ala the Washington Nationals previous logo so that it's more prominent - or maybe switch it up to where the Sioux City is a basic type and the Explorer's wordmark is the elegant script you're using and have the Explorer sit in between the "Sioux" and "City" wordmark.

Either way, it's a great improvement upon the original and your first attempts to re-work this team. Excellent work thus far.

I like the explorer poking out of the C. That's really cool.

Also, I would like to state publicly how much I hate that Sioux Falls changed their name from Canaries to Fighting Pheasants. Hate hate HAAAAAAAAAAAATE. (For those who don't know...or care...both Sioux Falls and Sioux City play in the same league.)

That actually reminds me. I realized just as I was finishing up with the logos and everything for the update, I realized just how similar it was to Sioux Falls. Just the fact that I had a cursive interlocking SC hat logo; while Sioux Falls has nearly the same thing, only an SF. With that in mind I may do a rebrand of Sioux Falls, switching back to the Canaries. I think that was such an awesome name, and could make for a neat logo.

Well you may or may not have been following this closely before, but I'm going to start working on some more teams from the same league as the Explorers. Some will be complete rebrands, some not, but I hope to create something new and different for all these minor league teams. The next team I have completed is Sioux Falls. Like I mentioned in the above post, I changed the name back to Canaries. Which is a really good name for a minor league club IMO. The primary logo is an updated version of the old cartoon canary they used. I thought it was the perfect logo to put in a Cubs-esque C shape. The colors are a light blue/cyan color, navy, and yellow. I thought this kind of identity needed a type of rounded, bubbly wordmark. The one I chose is similar to the Memphis Grizzlies, with the line through all the letters (I actually did use their number font). Uniforms are pretty self explanatory, blue for the home, gray road unis, and a navy alternate. Not really much else to say here, the logos and uniforms are posted below. C&C is welcome and please comment!

5915910519_8f96cc3046_b.jpg

5916470424_0f25eebe1f_b.jpg

I'm currently working on Fargo-Moorhead so you can expect to see that next week perhaps. Oh and the updated Explorers logos/uniforms are linked to in the first post. Thanks for viewing.

I like the Canaries logo. The only thing I see is the cubs like "C" clashing with the Blue Jays type "C" from "Canaries" and I really like the cubs "C" better all around for jersey script, etc. Other than that good logo - colors are great.

The updates of the Sioux City logos and uniforms look great. The only issue would be making sure the University of Southern California does try and claim the interlocking "S.C." - talk to University of South Carolina about that one :) - just another reason I don't like the University Southern California.

As for the green and gold - No worries, yeah my shades for green/blue and gold were not working. I'd probably go for a darker shade if I was to create a team for Iowa - I did a tweak of the Minnesota Timberwovles using a Navy Blue and green and I liked it.

Archived