American Association: Project Completed!

CAB

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I absolutely can't stand Sioux City using the X's logo. Calling them the X's is awful. I like any logo that refers to them as the Explorers.

I mean, do you think Lewis and Clark called their band a bunch of X's?

Well I appreciate the kind words from everyone, I'm glad this is getting a little interest at least. Now it's time for the third team, the Fargo-Moorhead Redhawks. The primary logo is my own take on their current logo, which IMO is just about as awful as you can get in terms of composition and everything. The placement of the letter is just plain bad and the bird itself isn't much better. I did however like the position of the bird only because it provided the perfect opportunity to fit both an F and an M into the wings. Which are the same general shape, but the hawk's head is all new. The hawk head also serves as an alternate logo and the full body of the bird is a sleeve patch. The cap logo is just a simple FM. When I started out with this concept the colors were red, black, and yellow. But as I got to thinking about it, I decided that a maroon a la Iowa State would look even better and also be fairly unique. The uniforms pretty much speak for themselves. As you can tell I'm a pretty big fan of vests in baseball, so that might be a trend in this series. I also added a maroon brim to the hats for some contrast. Logos and uniforms are below. Do comment.

5927928625_3fc4a58b74_b.jpg

5927928289_423ddf5578_b.jpg

Next up-- The St Paul Saints. Working on just the logo right now.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

I'm not a fan of this because it's a big change to their fundamental look.

The colors are a major departure from what they've had their entire existence. The Redhawks are a red and black team. Yellow is only exists on the beak for the logo, it is nowhere to be found on their uniforms or anywhere else. I think their current color scheme is sharper and better than what you've chosen for this identity.

I like that you've kept the general feeling of the bird and snuck and F and an M in the wing feathers. The F-feather is a little hard to see as an F, but I can see the effort is there. However, the pose looks more awkward now because he's just "hugging air". I think if you put "Redhawks" where "Fargo" is and then put "Fargo-Moorhead" above the F-wing or below the wordmark, that would be an improvement.

The uniforms need the pinstripes. I don't know if you've seen their home uniforms But you need to draw inspiration from that.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

I like the logos, but the word mark I think could use some fine tuning, maybe same font, but thinner or with a thinner outline. Also I think in this case the font for "Sioux City" and "Explorers" should be the same. You could maybe alter the colors of the city name and team name.

speaking of colors you said there's not much history with the uniforms, is the any reason/history behind their colors of red, vegas gold and black? It just doesn't seem like Iowa Colors too me - I've not lived in Iowa, but my dad's from there and I have family still living in Iowa, but not Sioux City. When I go to or think of Iowa, I tend to get a feeling of Green/gold or Navy/Midnight Purple (for the night sky) and a gold.

Not trying to steal your thunder, but I'm thinking, more this color scheme: Baby/sky blue, Green and Wheat/light gold. Here's an example:

screenshot20110615at927.png

This isnt horrible but i like the original colors better. It just seems like the bright green and blue kinda clash and make it a little hard on the eyes. Maybe you use a forest green and navy blue, but i like the brick gold and black better b/c it gives you tht western field. By the way not trying to be a prick or anythin but theres a couple black spots randomly behind your "X" in Sioux and "'S". I also think that a baseball logo should have the real stitching on (prefer red but any color would look cool to mix things up) because the purple solid lines remind me of a tennis ball, just sayin.

Well I think I'm going to base this rebrand off of the explorer logo (which everybody seems to like better). Here is what I think will be my primary logo. By sheer luck the explorer logo fits perfectly in with the wordmark. I will post an entire logo sheet once I have everything how I like. I'm thinking an interlocking SC for the cap logo. If anyone has some more C&C on this or the "X's" logo, then please comment.

5892002000_787b398ab3_z.jpg

Wow that does looks better, excellent job man. I think it would do really well as your independent teams logo. Honestly if I was a fan ansd saw that on a shirt or jersey id buy it B)

I'm not a fan of this because it's a big change to their fundamental look.

The colors are a major departure from what they've had their entire existence. The Redhawks are a red and black team. Yellow is only exists on the beak for the logo, it is nowhere to be found on their uniforms or anywhere else. I think their current color scheme is sharper and better than what you've chosen for this identity.

I like that you've kept the general feeling of the bird and snuck and F and an M in the wing feathers. The F-feather is a little hard to see as an F, but I can see the effort is there. However, the pose looks more awkward now because he's just "hugging air". I think if you put "Redhawks" where "Fargo" is and then put "Fargo-Moorhead" above the F-wing or below the wordmark, that would be an improvement.

The uniforms need the pinstripes. I don't know if you've seen their home uniforms But you need to draw inspiration from that.

Thank you for giving me some input, I appreciate it. Especially since I admittedly don't follow the league at all (go to maybe 1 or 2 Explorers' games a year), so I don't know how a lot of teams look or anything. Now that you say it, I think that's a much better idea with the primary logo. I also might post a uniform with pinstripes to see how that looks. I actually used pinstripes for St Paul, but it's no big deal.

I take it you're from the Fargo area? Or at least have seen them play?

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

Alright, I tried it out with red and black and I have to admit, it looks pretty good. The red and maroon kinda bled together now that I look at it, and I think this provides more contrast. I also tried positioning the text differently on the primary and I think that helped.

5937419538_4d3bcc8f9e_b.jpg

5936861939_935e19b5b6_b.jpg

I'll let this sit for a while and maybe post St Paul later tonight.

Everything looks awesome so far! I love that new Sioux City logo, and I can't wait to see the rest of the set. I really like the Sioux Falls logo as well, and the color scheme really pops. However, I don't like that logo on the hat. I would put it on the chest of the home or alternate jersey, then use the SF logo from the bird's hat on the actual hats. The Redhawks are definitely my favorite. The font and wordmarks are great, and I really like the pinstripe vests. I'm digging the white alternate hat as well.

Great work man, can't wait to see more teams!

The one thing I wanted to do with the Saints was something that it seems no Saints teams do. A logo of, y'know, an actual saint. I also wanted to have the saint looking upward, as if to the heavens or something along those lines. Turns out the shape of the logo I made fit perfectly in a shield, so that's what I went with. I added baseball stripes so you know it's a baseball club and not some religious thing. St Paul has the best wordmark and cap logo in the league as far as I'm concerned, so those went unchanged. The only thing I added besides the primary was an alternate logo featuring the cap logo inside a fleur-de-lis. Uniforms are pretty basic with some sleeve stripes. The fleur-de-lis is featured on the alternate cap.

5938812076_f59c189f0d_b.jpg

5938258519_78cf7b954b_b.jpg

I'm not sure what team I'll do next, but I'm thinking it'll be an update to Grand Prairie. They have a pretty good logo as well so I don't think I'll change much.

This is probably your best yet, very well rendering of the saint. I do think you need to cut down on your outlining, though. That StP monogram is beautiful, so simple that I think it could work without any outlines, same goes for the wordmarks. I also think that the white stroke around the pope could go, black on blue works just fine. This script seemsmto fit well on the shield, but it might look better if it wasn't integrated into the shield itself.

That fleur-de-lis is also pretty snazzy, but the whole package is missing that "baseball theme" (despite the stitches in the shield logo). I'd try and to a Zephyr-esque ball and bat logo, where the ball makes the main shaft of the fleur and the ball the inner circular part. That on a cap would look pretty nice.

I love what you did with the Saints, but there's one thing with the Redhawks that sticks in my craw: the red sleeves.

That look, until very recently, was used by one of their most bitter rivals, the Winnipeg Goldeyes. Things would get heated if Redhawks fans saw those.

The logos, however, are top-notch. Keep up the good work!

Archived