Sign in to follow this  
therocheapproach

Winnipeg Black Bears

MichaelRocheStLouisMo.jpg

I picked the name to honor the Winnipeg Bear. It seemed like a natural fit for a city mascot. I like the bear appearing stoic and noble as opposed to ferocious. I also incorporated a stylized "W" with the bear. As for the jerseys - I used black for obvious reasons. The Northern Blue and Canadian Gold is taken from the Atlanta color scheme. The tan is used instead of white to add more warmth when combined with black (like a pint of Guinness).

While I like the idea of forming the bottom of the head into a "W" I can not look at this without thinking about Yogi Bear.

MichaelRocheStLouisMo.jpg

I picked the name to honor the Winnipeg Bear. It seemed like a natural fit for a city mascot. I like the bear appearing stoic and noble as opposed to ferocious. I also incorporated a stylized "W" with the bear. As for the jerseys - I used black for obvious reasons. The Northern Blue and Canadian Gold is taken from the Atlanta color scheme. The tan is used instead of white to add more warmth when combined with black (like a pint of Guinness).

BBFBBS?

Just kidding...I like the look. The logo is unique, though someone is going to make the eventual connection to "Winnie the Pooh"...and how feared will that team be? The blue and gold is a nice tip of the toque to the Atlanta past, and I'm always up for a black and tan!

Very nice work here...

He's right. There's something about the execution that makes it look more cartoonish than serious.

I didn't Yogi Bear when I first saw the head. I thought of this:

super+sugar+crisp+cereal+box.jpg

The black looks navy I think?

My original comment was going to be "so the Black Bears are navy?"

As far as the logo, I actually like it and think it has a ton of potential. It's simple enough for a professional league, but conveys enough as well. The main part needing work is the mouth/chin area. Just doesn't look right.

with as many bear cartoon characters that have been drawn over the last 90 years or so, no matter what you do you will resemble one of them. especially with the simplicity of this design. thats not a problem for me though i think its well executed and i love your whole thought process behind it.

thats the important thing. be valuable. anyone can learn to draw or use Ai or PS. putting some thought into concepts like you've done here is whats valuable. well done

I like it for the most part. It is different than any bear logos I can think of in recent memory. I like the incorporation of the W too, but I think the snout takes up too much of the overall logo. Right now it's like 80% snout and 20% eyes/forehead/ears. Maybe try making the forehead area just slightly bigger, not too much though. Also consider slanting the eyes down and inward to be more intimidating, unless your going for friendly, because now he's friendly and it's because of the position of the eyes. But overall, it's nice and clean and somewhat unique.

I don't see Yogi Bear at all.

I think the two biggest things that will help this are 1) make the snout smaller and eye/forehead larger like jaha suggested and 2) make the jaw/chin more curved. It doesn't have to be completely straight to still get the idea across. I like the colors, however they are too similar to the Memphis Grizzlies for my liking. Both bear logos, same color scheme. I think a black/powder blue/silver color scheme would work well here. Keep the same uniform template though, that looks very good.

He's right. There's something about the execution that makes it look more cartoonish than serious.

I didn't Yogi Bear when I first saw the head. I thought of this:

super+sugar+crisp+cereal+box.jpg

I don't know, I definitely got a pick-a-nick basket vibe when I first saw it. It's not bad, but the jaw needs some work.

There has been a recent influx of some pretty decent concepts here lately and this one,for sure, needs to be included in that list. I really like this. It's well thought out and nicely executed. You can tell that you spent some time on this. The colors work well together and I like the nod to Atlanta. What if instead of the "W" looking exactly like a "W", make the "W" rounded to follow the natural round shape of a bear's head? It would still be a hidden "W" but not so angular and forced.

There has been a recent influx of some pretty decent concepts here lately and this one,for sure, needs to be included in that list. I really like this. It's well thought out and nicely executed. You can tell that you spent some time on this. The colors work well together and I like the nod to Atlanta. What if instead of the "W" looking exactly like a "W", make the "W" rounded to follow the natural round shape of a bear's head? It would still be a hidden "W" but not so angular and forced.

This. Exactly how I felt when I first saw this, but wasn't sure how to word it.

I actually like the name. Not digging the rest.

I bet the 2011 Cup Champions would have a bone to pick about similarities to their identity if something like this were unveiled.

I dont see Yogi Bear at all but the Bear does look kind of cartoony and dopey (Like he doesnt give a crap)..

I know you don't want any ferocity but maybe try making it a little meaner. Maybe with some teeth. Round it out and the bottom a bit...

Its really tough because cartoony logos are usually a hard sell to fans...

I'm thinking the W-Bear you made would make a AWESOME secondary (shoulder Patch) but not a primary logo. Though, It looks really familiar to me for some reason...

But it is well done.

I really like the colors too...

It is kinda cartoony but I like it... maybe just tilting the eyes will give it a more mean look like the post above but I don't like the addition of the fang teeth if you could find a different way of showing the teeth it might look better though

Ya, you know what.... its not my place to mess with someones design... Ill take'em down

Bit of a memphis grizzlies vibe here I think. The gold is a little too thin I think, if it's going to be there, it ought to stand out a little more.