Canuck Fans Riot

sportsfan0518

You know what is really stupid? (I mean besides for idiots rioting over a sport. I love sports, but come on!) A ton of police officers who has to use some force to restrain drunk or overly rowdy idiots who were ruining the city will end up getting sued.

It happened here in Toronto after all that G8 rioting bull and officers got suspended and even fired. I won't go on and on how how stupid it is (because I could) but that's how these things continue to happen, if the police were allowed to do their job there would be some respect and these bull :censored: riots wouldn't happen be it over a sport or politics.

Lock all the rioters up, that's what I say.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From another board I post on (Something Awful, for those of you who MUST know):

I got caught in the riot area right from the get-go. Awful sights seen with stories to tell. Got out OK though but hot damn are some people crap. For example, I was not far from the first car that got set on fire...that was already afire when some :censored: threw an open 20 litre can of gas on it. Cops got him instantly but it was still one hell of a "POP!"

Among other things. Make no mistake: this was NOT (entirely) about hockey/loss/intoxication. The rioters knew the cops were preoccupied and couldn't get close, and went anarchistic. And yes, it's not media sensationalism: those Black Bloc :censored:ers were there too, masks and logos and all.

On the other hand I and two Israeli embassy staffers helped save someone's life (told you there were stories!) and most people weren't rioting or looting, just watching and filming or taking photos so maybe they were trying to capture evidence? Dunno. Though a LOT of :censored:s were rioting and looting (and even more encouraging them, egging on just like in grade school when the bad kid acted out for attention and your classmates cheered on), the fact is, even more than that were like me: we were stuck in a literal "Rock and hard place" situation and couldn't do anything but stand back, not do anything wrong, and watch/run/duck as best we could when things got too hairy. We were all wondering where the VPD were a lot of the time; I imagine someone's going to resign over this. It had to have been worse than '94 though one cop who didn't mind small talk said he was there for that one too and didn't want to comment until full details on this incident were released.

I said to more than a few people also caught/trapped in the chaos that I've long wondered what's going to happen if/when the big earthquake hits, and how people will behave. And I hate cynicism but I've long suspected that this just might be the answer. Of course, who knows...but really, if you were there seeing and hearing what those :censored:s were doing it's hard to imagine civility when everyone knows the cops aren't there to arrest them, and more than an acceptable number take advantage of that. Makes me wonder what true-anti-blue police haters (like x if the topic ever came up) would have to say about it all.

Sorry, long rant after one hell of a night. Going to bed at 5 AM, wheee!

Welcome to DrunjFlix

You're the expert, -Dan.

Without your smug answers can you explain that how after the last two Canuck Stanley Cup losses that there were large riots in the city by people that are not Canuck fans?

Riot3.jpg

Riot1.jpg

Riot2.jpg

Yep, its unfair to say this was a Canuck fan riot.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

esq-vancouver-riots-2011-061611-xlg.jpg

I'll give this 3 months before it's an album cover.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

To the Canuck fans distancing themselves from this - it's rather more than just the violent criminal element that simple mathematics deems must be present at a gathering of this size. Like it or not, these people are a part of the fan base. And fair or unfair, these people are going to be our public face for a long time. If you think it's unfair, think about how Flyers fans and Yankee fans and Red Sox fans and countless others have to deal with the public faces of their fanbases. At least those guys own it. You don't hear Flyers fans on here whining about how a couple douchebags ruin their public image. Of course, their douchebags didn't do anything like this after they lost to the Blackhawks.

A legacy that's just as bad is all the people who stayed around to video everything on their phones. The best thing you can do in a situation like that is to disperse. A crowd mentality like this needs a large crowd. And the last thing a violent idiot needs is the illusion of a world stage. I would hope that the lack of videos of actual violence means that some of these idiots actually put their phones down to step in and try and stop some of this from happening, but I have a feeling that there was very little of this going on.

Secondly, to those of you excusing fans for getting angry about a decisive loss, the conclusion of the game was set by the middle of the second period. That means we had thirty minutes of ice time to adjust to the idea that it was going to be Boston hoisting the cup. It would have taken a miracle to get three past Thomas, and you don't go around expecting miracles. I was actually relieved at that time, and I remember thinking - at least it won't be like 94, because that game wasn't decided until towards the end. But goddammit if we didn't fall apart anyway.

I am ashamed. Maybe it's because I'm older and don't live in Vancouver, but I was fully set for an hour or so of sadness, then to take my ration of crap from the people you usually take crap from when your team loses, and go on with life (an evening of watching reruns of Modern Family and reading comic books to my kid at bedtime). Now I have to take this from those people too, and I will, without getting defensive or parsing these people out as not being the "real" fans.

We're only as classy as our basest elements. The sooner we accept that, the sooner we stop trying to delude ourselves to the point that we're convinced they weren't there to watch the game and cheer on our team, the sooner we can start regaining some of that class.

And the only reason I'm saying any of this is because we're going to be having this same goddamned discussion after these same fans trash the city next time. The Canucks are capable of bouncing back and making another run next year. Are we?

nhl94vansigpng.png

interesting....

CANADA

esq-vancouver-riots-2011-061611-xlg.jpg

UNITED STATES

250px-Legendary_kiss_V%E2%80%93J_day_in_Times_Square_Alfred_Eisenstaedt.jpg

country comparison in a nutshell hahahaha

I like Canada's picture better. The sailor is a few inches away from rape. The Canadian picture is at least consensual.

PvO6ZWJ.png

PEOPLE WEARING SHIRTS DOES NOT EQUAL PEOPLE BEING FANS.

You own five hundred :censored:ing jerseys, are you a fan of every team?

In no way am I saying there weren't fans involved, but the people responsible for starting this were going to start something regardless. Lumping all fans into this, which is what you seem to be doing, is asinine.

There were 100,000+ people in downtown Vancouver last night. :censored: was started by around 100 of them. As soon as the drunks and the douchebags got around to realizing the VPD was busy elsewhere, anarchy kicked in. Mob rules. Alcohol is a hell of a drug.

It's a shame and an embarrassment to the entire city. Thank (insert appropriate deity) I'm a Jets fan.

Holy :censored:, I'm getting way too worked up over this.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

62403039.jpg

62403041.jpg

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

You own five hundred :censored:ing jerseys, are you a fan of every team?

In no way am I saying there weren't fans involved, but the people responsible for starting this were going to start something regardless. Lumping all fans into this, which is what you seem to be doing, is asinine.

There were 100,000+ people in downtown Vancouver last night. :censored: was started by around 100 of them. As soon as the drunks and the douchebags got around to realizing the VPD was busy elsewhere, anarchy kicked in. Mob rules. Alcohol is a hell of a drug.

It's a shame and an embarrassment to the entire city. Thank (insert appropriate deity) I'm a Jets fan.

Come on Lee. I know the rioters do not represent all Canuck fans, but as it has been mentioned in this thread:

Facts Lee doesn't like

These people do not represent all Canuck fans but clearly there were enough Canuck fans involved to say that the rioters are Canuck fans.

I clearly never said the rioters represent all fans.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Whatever. I'm getting too worked up. I'm going back to jokes and whatever else.

That's the Lee we know and love.

twitter

And the only reason I'm saying any of this is because we're going to be having this same goddamned discussion after these same fans trash the city next time. The Canucks are capable of bouncing back and making another run next year. Are we?

If and when Vancouver gets back to this position, there'll be no tolerance. No large viewing parties, a curfew maybe. It makes me sick but it's clearly aware that this city cannot congregate in a peaceful matter.

So taking Lee's lead, my facial hair, trash can, sink, car door, and my rubber band ball were all victims of my personal rioting, and THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE CAN DO ABOUT IT B).

soundersbanner.png

Archived