Giving the Big Ten the Attention She Deserves.

drdougfresh

Are the white parts on the black uniform pieces mesh or some sort of pattern?

Mesh. I'm using harrington's template, that's how the mesh renders. I played around with some new patterns, but it doesn't bother me too much honestly haha.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next up is Penn State. They already have epic uniforms. They're classics, and I admittedly (though I hate the team) love their unis. I wanted to keep the same general premise of them with a modern flair. I added a single shoulder stripe, and a blue set of pants. Also added the logo to their helmet. With a lot of these schools, there's a certain element of history that needs to be preserved, so you won't see a lot of radical changes for the most part, and Penn State is a perfect example. I promise, the rivalry series will be much more 'outlandish'. Here's the product:

PSUUPDATE.png

Illinois is next in line.

I think you shouldve kept the traditional PSU helmet, and remove the nameplate, I feel as tough theyre untouchable and somewhat sacred, but thats coming from a PSU student so that might just be my biased view...

aside from that i think that the only changes id make are to switch the socks around and make the shoes black (a paterno thing)...maybe keep one white pair for a head to toe whit-out game uni though

overall good job. I think these designs are doing a great job of modernizing very classic, tradition rich sets

zPfTNXq_sm_zpsu3fsswbz.jpg 8DRvuUI_sm_zpsthbhbnio.jpg

Maurer_icons-02_zps7dcbd790.png Maurer_icons-01_zpsfee43a9b.png

Thanks guys, glad you (somewhat) approve haha. Some schools are harder because they have 'untouchable' traditions, and some are even tougher because they have none. The biggest thing with PSU is that I wanted to keep their unis iconic, but add just a few touches of modernization. Another thing I didn't mention is that I designed this to be interchangeable, blue on white, white on blue, blue on blue, white on white. I did that with a few other schools as well, but that helps hang on to the white on white away unis that PSU currently wears, should they decide to use that look for a game or two.

Agree with Brave Bird, the facemask on the PSU helmet needs to be blue and the stripe needs to be on there as well. Other than that my only suggestion would be to make the belt blue on the white pants set.

Regarding the Big Ten logo. I agree with others that the "2" needs to look more like an "N". That's really pulling the logo down IMO. Really like the divisional stuff though.

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

There is a difference between completely changing an "untouchable" uniform and subtle changes to "untouchable" uniforms. Bringing the helmet stripe into the pants and shirt is a nice move. Adds some color and style. As for the helmet... I think you should have kept the stripe on it. But the logo... it just fits a helmet too well to NOT be on the helmet when doing a concept. People talk about logos made for certain sports or certain pieces of the uniform... that Lion logo is made for a football helmet.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

When you do black, make your 'black' a dark grey (but light enough so that you can still see the darker black lines. You should also set your mesh patterns to 'multiply' so they properly overlay your fabric colors, rather than always showing up as a light grey color.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Yeah I'll do that. I have my black at 97% right now, but I'll fool around with it. Thanks for the tips!

Yeah, the lines and stuff that's the dark black should be RGB 0/0/0 (you can achieve it with CMYK 45/45/45/100 or thereabouts) and your black fabric should be about RGB 30/30/30 or maybe 35, 35, 35 if you want to be able to discern the details a little bit better (you can probably use anything between CMYK 0/0/0/93 and 0/0/0/100 to achieve a color like this).

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Are you using the same number font for every team like they do in soccer leagues, or is it just these first two using the same font??? It looks good on both though.

Nope, there are varying number styles. So far, they've been two NFL team fonts. There's some NHL's in there too, actually. Haha.

I absolutely love it, mind if I ask what font that is, I think I have fallen in love with it.

I just remembered. The Iowa font is the Falcons' uni font (as I stated previously), and PSU's is the Sabres' uni font.

I absolutely love it, mind if I ask what font that is, I think I have fallen in love with it.

I just remembered. The Iowa font is the Falcons' uni font (as I stated previously), and PSU's is the Sabres' uni font.

Apologies, I was asking about the font used in the Big Ten logo, I think that is one of the sleekest fonts I've seen.

Apologies, I was asking about the font used in the Big Ten logo, I think that is one of the sleekest fonts I've seen.

OHHH yeah, that's one of my faves too, if you couldn't tell with the WCAF post :P . It's called New Athletic M54.

Iowa and PSU have been updated. Alright, time for Illinois. Tough school, I like their colors, but they don't really have a mentionable 'classic' uniform. I gave them a classic feel with a more modern look in the font and colors. I also got rid of their lame wordmark on the helmet and went with the bolder I emblem. Here she is:

IllinoisUPDATE.png

Nebraska is next.

I like Iowa, yet it has a Missouri feel to it, not sure why though. When I looked at Penn State, it immediately brought memories of BYU. I think it has to do with the oval logo on the helmet. Did you try a blye helmet? As much as some people will hate it, I'd like to see something unique for Penn State. Illinois, I absolutely love!

Not sure why you think Mizzou. But to each their own!

I think the BYU similarities come in with the blue pants and white top. I purposely made them so they could be interchanged, though. Could be the logo on the helmet, but it's not a big Y. I'm not concerned about it too much, BYU is nowhere close to PSU on the field haha.

Yeah, not feeling Illinois'. It's a little... boring. I donno, maybe I'm too connected to it. But I would not like it if they wore this.

Nothing seems justified. One stripe, everywhere. Why no stripe on the blue helmet? It seems most like our 2000's uniforms (which weren't very good).

It doesn't go back to our roots (which we have classic uniforms, see the Illini vs. Eastern Illinois throwback Game in 2008). It also doesn't move us into the future with uniform stylings? It's kinda lame.

"Classic" does not mean it gets a free pass for being bad design.

6624288275_95c33d4680_z.jpg

Archived