St. Louis Eagles (NHL) Crests

ddub53

Does anyone know the story behind the crests on the St. Louis Eagles sweater? While most recognize one of them, the Eagles actually had a different looking crest on the front of their sweater at the start of the 1934-35 season. I can't seem to find a story about why the switch in eagle even though the rest of the uniform remained the same. Below are two logos along with team photos with both sweaters.

stleagles.jpg

!B,UKdvQBWk~$(KGrHgoH-CwEjlLl)G!HBKq+bG6k+g~~_12.JPG!BuLTekgEGk~$(KGrHqMOKj8Ev(u4g6ITBL+QqIB9g!~~_3.JPG

mizzoufb.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm currently doing research on the Pittsburgh Pirates NHL team, and uniform details, or even photos, are so freaking hard to come by. in 1927-28, they've mentioned "the blue and gold skaters" at least 5 times, so we could be way off on what we think we know about their unis, and I'm pretty sure I've found one that we didn't know about.

My point is, that there really weren't uni-watchers back then, and if there were, their passions for details was cut off by photographers, or a lack thereof (I've yet to find a photo of the Pirates in action, not in a newspaper anyways). Combine that with a team that died off rather quickly, and chances are those details are lost to history.

Sorry, I hope someone knows, but short of finding their equipment manager (chances are it's too late for that), I wouldn't get my hopes up on finding an answer.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Among other reasons, manufacturing techniques weren't as precise as they are now and branding was less important. As hockey week says, people just didn't care then.

What surprises me is that when the O6 teams have forgotten their own history. With the Eagles and Pirates it's understandable that we don't have a firm grasp on exactly what was happening, as the records would have mostly disappeared with the teams. In my research into the Detroit Cougars, I've found two or three different versions of the Old English D the team wore, and the one that the Red Wings are currently using on "vintage" merchandise is the one that the Cougars wore least. Yet it's the one the team recognizes now, whether or not it's correct.

Hmm, considering they only played one season they either switched mid season, or after the pre-season and/or training camp...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

The Google News Archives has a fair number of articles about the Senators leaving Ottawa and eventually winding up in St. Louis including:

There is a specific mention of the St. Louis Eagles uniform in the November 18, 1934 issue of the Daily Boston Globe: "The Eagles produced attractive new uniforms of white jerseys with red Eagle on front and red numerals on back blue pants and white stockings with red ..." However, paid access is required to view the full article. The quote I've included is visible on the Google search page.

Based on the era, the financial state of the team, and the possible late confirmation that the franchise would play during the 1934-'35 season my guess is that at least one version is a second hand set acquired from another team. The most likely candidate being the minor league New Haven Eagles. There is another Daily Boston Globe article from December '34 that mentions their new uniforms having a red background and there are pictures of later seasons showing an eagle crest (very different looking though) or New York Americans style sweaters. It seems the colours and name / logo could be a match, but without any photos to back this up it's purely speculation on my part.

Archived