Fox's MLB Series

Fox

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've made a lot of progress in this series recently, and am now only a Rockies and Diamondbacks concept away from having concepts completed for every team. Through the end, the series will follow the order given on the first pose. However this post is for two reasons- 1. To showcase a new concept and 2. To explain a change in how I will operate this series until the end of it.

While up until now, for the first 4 divisions, I have submitted all of the teams in the division's concepts then updated every concept in the division, then moved on, I will not be doing that for these last two divisions. I am so close to the finish that I'm going to submit the originals and then go back, in the order I began with, and make an update to every team.

Sorry to say, that means that there will be a long wait until an updated Miami Marlins concept is submitted.

But as I said, I've been able to make a lot of progress recently, and I'm so anxious to submit these concepts that I've decided to post another one right now. Get ready for the Chicago Cubs concept.

The Cubs have an overall solid look. The pinstriped homes are classic, but after that, I would describe the current set as "decent at best." This concept doesn't feature many major changes, mostly tweaks. I experimented with other color schemes- brown and powder blue, red and brown, brown and royal blue, in attempt to eliminate another RWB team, but I decided that I don't have a problem with the Cubs RWN if they remain mostly a blue team with red accents. Here are the changes:

-No sleeve patches on jerseys

-Pinstriped home jersey unchanged. Brought back red-brimmed hat (former road cap) and put it on the regular homes. Before you jump the gun and decide that you hate it because the Cubs home jerseys are sacred, there was always something missing to me about the Cubs home jerseys. I tried adding a uniform number on the front, and that wasn't it. I tried the red brim on the cap, and IMO it looks much, much better than the solid blue.

-For all other jerseys, classic solid blue cap.

-Carlos Zambrano blue alternate jersey. I am so tired of seeing that ugly jersey and especially that ugly logo of the bear crawling into the C. Brought back a classic cub logo and recoloed it to red and white. Paired with a white uniform number, this is the home alt.

-Road jerseys: Got rid of white outline on road script. Added blue sleeve piping

-Road alt: blue version of road jersey, no sleeve piping

-No more Cubs logo on road pants, doesn't look professional IMO

Cubssubmit.png

C&C Please! Reds concept will be next- stay tuned!

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

Brewers: Love the BIG in current colors, the gold jersey, and the Milwaukee script on the roads.

Elimination of the 3d drop shadowing is ok, BUT those scripts at least need a single outline. Gold outline on the primaries, white outline on the alts.

Cubs home alt: Swap red & white on the cub head, and you have a winner. (Other Cubs unis, great job as usual)

Time for my next concept, the Cincinnati Reds. Since it's late, I'll keep the description short and sweet:

-While I like the Reds current look, I wanted to dump the black and emphasize red. (With the exception of trim on Mr. Red, no black.) Also I standardized the scripts and cleaned up the road wordmark, etc.

RedsSubmit.png

Houston Astros concept up next! Stay tuned!

C&C please

On to my next concept, maybe my personal favorite, the Houston Astros.

The Astros look is the worst in the MLB. They are a team that desperately needs an overhaul. The scripts, the colors... everything. While many see the 'stros going back to traditional navy and orange, I wanted to try something new- Black and Gold.

Yes, the script is very simple, but the Astros current look is so busy, that simplification is what they need.

AstrosSubmit.png

This is probably my favorite concept that I have made so far, I hope you guys like it!

Next I will move onto the NL West concepts- C&C Please!

I'm split on it. Half of me really likes it, while the other half thinks that it really needs a third colour, because gold is used too much, and black is more of a base colour.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Reds: I love the set overall. I have a few minor nitpicks though. Mr. Red does have black on it like you mentioned. If the rest of the uniform set is going to have just red/white, I really don't think Mr. Red should have black. You did a great of making such a classic uniform set look traditional again. 10/10

Astros: Colors are nice. It wouldn't work today with the Pirates in the same division. If they switches to the AL East, they wouldn't look bad. The like the logo on the hat. I don't see a problem with the colors, but I'm not a fan of the font. It's too blocky and has no lasting effect for me. I still give it a 9/10. I really like it, but it needs black socks for all and if you're gonna have a black script on the gold uniform, you should have black star outlined in white on the gold hat.

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

After a long delay, here is my SF Giants concept. Last year's World Champs have a solid look, but it needs to be cleaned up a bit. Here are the major changes:

-For the most part, kept all of the current jerseys with few tweaks

-No outline on Giants and San Francisco scripts. Gold shouldn't be included in the Giants scheme.

-New black road alternate jersey. The last time the Giants tried to have a black alt in the early 2000's, they looked horrible. Putting the classic interlocking SF on the chest would give the Giants a clasy-looking black road alternate that is also a nod to the past: their former road uniforms.

-Orange billed caps will be worn with alternates, not regular home and roads. While I love the Giants orange-billed caps, (I have one myself) they look out of place with regular home and roads, which have very little orange on them. Looks better with alternates IMO.

-Got rid of all sleeve patches. IMO none of the Giants sleeve patches look very good and they are a team that could function very well without any.

GiantsSubmit.png

C&C Please! Padres concept coming next!

Always have missed the red-billed Cubs caps... Even have a 59fifty Authentic from when I was up in Chicago in '05, I believe the last year they used it. Glad to see it brought back, as it would look better on the home uniform anyway!

bannernigga3-1.jpeg

Click the Banner - Join the Movement!

Bannertop.jpeg

Before I post my next concept, the San Diego Padres, I have a few other things.

Firstly, I'd like to ask if there's anyone on these boards who knows of good wordmarks that I can use for both the Astros and Rockies, that would be great. (You've seen the 'stros concept, but not Colorado- prepare to be underimpressed by the wordmark...) Between the two I would say that the Rockies is more urgant but either team would be greatly appreciated.

And, before I post my Padres concept, here is my old Padres concept. It was the first baseball concept that I made on these boards. After I did it, (and I thought it turned out pretty well) I decided I was ready for a full MLB series.

Here is my new Padres concept, which is similar to my old one, but I made some big tweaks. Since this is a full overhaul, I don't feel the need to list the changes.

-However, the reason I put Padres on the road as opposed to San Diego is that:

1. There is no San Diego script to match that Padres script

2. San Diego is a long city name and is tough to put on a jersey. After so many bad San Diego script attempts, I feel that the Padres (like the Phillies) should get an exception and can put the team name on the road jerseys.

Here is the concept:

PadresSubmit.png

C&C Please!

A white outline on yellow does not look good. Two light/bright colours bordering each other isn't a good idea. I would suggest a road alt based on your original Padres road alt. The others are god, though, but I think that piping would go a long way on the home and road primaries because it would do a great job of contrasting the pale/dull grey and white.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Sorry I missed this.

1) I love the the colors and the execution. I actually love the home alterate. The brown jersey does have the trouble with clashing colors. I would do what BigBubba suggested.

2) I'm not a fan of the script arching like that. Good idea, but the letters are small enough to work straight across the chest instead.

3) Not really sure how I feel about the cap. It looks good on every jersey except the road. I can't help but see it like this:

Home cap should be brown with white lettering, and the road cap should be brown with gold lettering. The reason is to eliminate the fact that it wouldn't look out of place with the road uniform(having a white 'D' and not having white on the jersey), and it would be good incentive to get rid of the white outline on the road alternate and just go brown and gold.

That's the only real problem. The color scheme and execution is otherwise great.

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

Archived