2011-12 European football thread

Viper

Ramsey was to be pitied too fool with the own goal, but to be honest Liverpool didnt look great either till Arsenal was down a man. I hear alot about them really contending for the title this year but so far I dont see it.

They're not there yet because the new signings need to gel and Suarez and Lucas need to overcome their lack of an offseason. I don't think the team will kick into gear until October or so by which time title contention will probably be out of the picture.

That would be a shame, they seem to have gathered quite the collection of players. Unlike alot of other fans I really like Suarez, Charlie Adam really impressed me last year with Blackpool. They could do big things.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy :censored:, Carlos Tevez is currently on the pitch in a City shirt. Gonna be honest, I didn't think I'd see that again.

Speaking of City, great game going on at the Reebok today. End to end action, "BORING BORING CITY" looks to be a thing of the past, & Bolton looks like they're completely up to the challenge. Currently 3-2 City, hopefully that result holds up.

The Canaries of Norwich City had Stoke on the ropes until a very unfortunate stoppage time goal. They were down a man from a very very questionable (absolute bull :censored:) red card in the 60th min or so. Luckily their keeper saved the penalty because it shouldnt have even been a penalty as the foul was clearly outside the box but the Stoke player stumbled into the penalty area. Shame Norwich only took a point from their first home match back in the Premiership.

Let me just say I am a huge Barcelona supporter, but the EPL has a very fun style to watch, especially when watching as a neutral observer.

"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

So Eto'o will move from Inter to a middle of the pack Russian team and will get paid $500K/week. The owner is worth $8B.

And supposedly theyre going to offer Barcelona 35M Euros for Dani Alves. Damn Russian oil.

Netherlands lead the FIFA Rankings for the first time ever.

Lets go win a damn trophy now! They may only have Euro 2012 and WC 2014 with this group of players, before RVP, Robben, Snijder and others retire from International Comp.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

What a match for the Gunners. Haven't seen the squad perform this well in ages, and it came in the biggest match of the season (I know it's early, but this was one of the most crucial matches for the entire campaign). Totally outperformed Udinese tonight. Gervinho finally was able to turn those great half-chances into something. He's a typical Gunner, making moves and getting right into the opponents 18, but never shooting it. Was surprised to see him shoot it actually. Walcott is never gonna miss that, clinical finisher and wow that speed.

Szcz was HUGE in goal with that save, man what an epic save.

Defense looked strong too, Djourou and Vermaelen did a great job for the most part of holding off Di Nitale & Co (aside from the goal).

Certainly lacking a bit of creativity in the midfield though, with Cesc and now Sami gone. Couldn't really notice it that much tonight because Arsenal were just better than Udinese. Can't wait til Jack gets back, pairing with Ramsey. Frimpong has been class though, definitely a physical take no prisoners attitude this side needs.

Now a huge match against ManU, this will really show how the club measure up this year.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Champions League draw was today, and holy :censored:, there were some NASTY draws.

Group A

FC Bayern München (GER)

Villarreal CF (ESP)

Manchester City FC (ENG)

SSC Napoli (ITA)

Group B

FC Internazionale Milano (ITA)

PFC CSKA Moskva (RUS)

LOSC Lille Métropole (FRA)

Trabzonspor AŞ (TUR)

Group C

Manchester United FC (ENG)

SL Benfica (POR)

FC Basel 1893 (SUI)

FC Oţelul Galaţi (ROU)

Group D

Real Madrid CF (ESP)

Olympique Lyonnais (FRA)

AFC Ajax (NED)

GNK Dinamo Zagreb (CRO)

Group E

Chelsea FC (ENG)

Valencia CF (ESP)

Bayer 04 Leverkusen (GER)

KRC Genk (BEL)

Group F

Arsenal FC (ENG)

Olympique de Marseille (FRA)

Olympiacos FC (GRE)

Borussia Dortmund (GER)

Group G

FC Porto (POR)

FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR)

FC Zenit St Petersburg (RUS)

APOEL FC (CYP)

Group H

FC Barcelona (ESP)

AC Milan (ITA)

FC BATE Borisov (BLR)

FC Viktoria Plzeň (CZE)

Group A, D, F, & G are absolutely disgusting. Gonna take a huge effort just to make it out of the group stages for the teams in those groups. F is probably the toughest of them all. Yikes. Should definitely be entertaining.

The competition is getting better and better. Maybe someone will end up ending Barca, ManU and Chelsea's reign of terror.

Uh, I wouldn't group Chelsea in with Barca and United until they actually manage to win a Champions League.

I'll bite with predictions...

Group A - Bayern München, Villareal - City bounced in a tough group.

Group B - Internazionale, Trabzonspor - The club that sneaks in due to the Fenerbahçe scandal advances.

Group C - Manchester United, FC Porto - Probably the easiest group presumably to predict.

Group D - Real Madrid, Olympique Lyonnais - Can't see Ajax getting through out of this one.

Group E - Bayer 04 Leverkusen, Chelsea FC - German and English sides send Valencia packing.

Group F - Borussia Dortmund, Olympique de Marsielle - The Gunners go down in the group stage thanks to finishing 4th in the EPL.

Group G - Shaktar Donetsk, APOEL FC - Cyprus side sneaks through in a surprise ahead of Porto and Zenit.

Group H - FC Barcelona, AC Milan - Can you really go any other way here?

Also, Scottish football's proving why they only get 1 UCL spot now... all 3 clubs bounced from the Europa League today.

6fQjS3M.png

What a match for the Gunners. Haven't seen the squad perform this well in ages, and it came in the biggest match of the season (I know it's early, but this was one of the most crucial matches for the entire campaign). Totally outperformed Udinese tonight. Gervinho finally was able to turn those great half-chances into something. He's a typical Gunner, making moves and getting right into the opponents 18, but never shooting it. Was surprised to see him shoot it actually. Walcott is never gonna miss that, clinical finisher and wow that speed.

Defense looked strong too, Djourou and Vermaelen did a great job for the most part of holding off Di Nitale & Co (aside from the goal).

Certainly lacking a bit of creativity in the midfield though, with Cesc and now Sami gone. Couldn't really notice it that much tonight because Arsenal were just better than Udinese. Can't wait til Jack gets back, pairing with Ramsey. Frimpong has been class though, definitely a physical take no prisoners attitude this side needs.

Now a huge match against ManU, this will really show how the club measure up this year.

Yup, and with De Gea looking better but still a bit shaky in ManU's net Monday, the Gunners might actually stand a fighting chance.

They also got a bit of a break in the Champions' League draw. Advancing won't be easy but at least they managed to avoid all the giants from La Liga and Serie A.

Is Arsenal finally rounding the corner?

CCSLC signature.png

Because the French runners-up and German champions are that much worse than teams not named Internazionale, AC Milan, Real Madrid, or Barcelona? That's not as good of a draw as you'd think...

I'd rather have Barça and then, BATE Borisov and Viktoria Pizen if you see what I'm getting at? Dortmund and Marsielle are both really good sides capable of marking the Gunners out.

6fQjS3M.png

Predictions.

Group A: Manchester City, Bayern Munich, Villareal, Napoli

Group B: Inter, CSKA, Lille, Trabzonspor

Group C: Manchester United, Benfica, Basel, Oţelul Galaţi

Group D: Real Madrid, Ajax, Lyon, Dinamo Zagreb

Group E: Valencia, Chelsea, Bayer Leverkusen, Genk

Group F: Arsenal, Borussia Dortmund, Marseille, Olympiacos

Group G: Zenit St. Petersburg, Shakhtar Donetsk. Porto, APOEL

Group H: Barcelona, AC Milan, Viktoria Plzeň, BATE Borisov

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Yup, and with De Gea looking better but still a bit shaky in ManU's net Monday, the Gunners might actually stand a fighting chance.

They also got a bit of a break in the Champions' League draw. Advancing won't be easy but at least they managed to avoid all the giants from La Liga and Serie A.

Is Arsenal finally rounding the corner?

I don't buy that they were in as much trouble as people made out, but I don't buy that they are as set as you make out, either. Schesny is still a concern between the sticks, one save doesn't change that. They still need some of the same pieces they did at the start of the summer, Frimpong does seem a decent holding midfield player, but there still is a featherweight defence, a lack of a real goal threat, and now less goal providers. Personally I can see the gunners finishing as low as 6th this season.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

The big story of Prem Round 3 is bound to be Didier Drogba's horrifying injury. He appeared to have been knocked out cold in a midair collision with Norwich's keeper. He then fell like a rag doll, face-first to the pitch and had to be immobilized by the EMTs before being carried off.

Needless to say, thoughts and/or prayers for Drogba are in order.

Update: A whopping eleven minutes of stoppage time added to the second half, due mainly to Drogba's injury. Chelsea up 2-1 on a penalty-kick goal (unrelated to the Drogba injury) that also resulted in a straight red for Norwich's keeper.

Update #2: Chelsea adds a late goal to win 3-1. Here's the video footage of the Drogba collision.

CCSLC signature.png

Archived