2011-12 European football thread

Viper

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't watched the EPL in years, however, I am currently watching the Tottenham - Manchester City match on Fox Soccer Channel and am impressed with Manchester City's striker, Edin Dzeko.

Edit: Dzeko completes the hat-trick!

Lovin' me those new Gunners clash kits!

Update: The moment De Gea, of all people, saved that penalty kick I knew it won't be Arsenal's night. Sure enough, Ashley Young then made it 2-0. Oh well, taking points from Old Trafford is a tall order even under the best of circumstances, so this game does have a certain "gambling with house money" quality to it.

Update #2: 3-0 now.

Update #3: Walcott finally gives Arsenal their first goal of the Prem campaign, just before halftime. Right through De Gea's five-hole, so to speak. Both Prem goal's he's given up so far have been down low.

CCSLC signature.png

Chelsea is saying Drogba only sustained a mild concussion in his collision. They've not said how long he'll be out but that's a huge relief.

6-1 at Old Trafford now, and a hit post away from being 7-1.

CCSLC signature.png

Another week, another red card for a Gunner (Jenkinson).

Update: And Rooney gets his hat trick on a penalty. 7-2 now.

Update #2: 8-2 is your final after a stoppage-time brace by Young.

CCSLC signature.png

And the Old Trafford support's singing, "You're getting sacked in the morning!". Maybe not the morning, but is it possible that Wenger's seat is getting a bit toasty?

EDIT: Young makes it 8-2. Je-SUS.

Well, as I mentioned a couple of pages ago, Wenger already has had one foot out the door before the season even started.

CNN's Piers Morgan, a Gooner like myself, just did a guest turn on Fox Soccer's Premier League weekly wrap show, and ripped Wenger a new orifice or two. Can't say I blame him.

CCSLC signature.png

I didn't know Arsenal was planning to move to Los Angeles.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Problem with Wenger is that he is incredibly stubborn. Despite the fact his youth, youth, youth strategy hasn't worked, won't work. But Wenger will stick to it for as long as possible. Wenger has taken the Gunners as far as he can.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Leon Best is hopefully finally coming into his own. Pardew finally put him in the Starting XI, I'd take him over Ba any day. Now if Nile Ranger can come into his own, the Toon will have quite the young English duo at Forward.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Manchester 13

North London 3

That's gotta hurt

The result might make people want to riot or something...

Heyooo...

---

Yeah, nice try Gooners. Something really needs to be done over there. I see their season very much in the same vein as Liverpool's last year.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Problem with Wenger is that he is incredibly stubborn. Despite the fact his youth, youth, youth strategy hasn't worked, won't work. But Wenger will stick to it for as long as possible. Wenger has taken the Gunners as far as he can.

The thing is, Wenger's way is still perfectly sound from a fiscal-responsibility standpoint. Until recently it also worked reasonably well from a competitive standpoint. The trouble now is that it can't keep up with the new reality of club football, now dominated by obscenely wealthy oil barons who are willing to throw insane amounts of their own money (not their clubs') at top players to get them to switch sides. Emphasizing youth does your club little good when the Sheikh Mansours of the world are always ready to snatch them away once they've developed.

Fox Soccer even touched on this point in their postgame show (as did Grantland's Chris Ryan in the second half of his Week 2 "Reducer" column) when it posed the question of whether Gooners would be willing to see Arsenal take on ManU- or Liverpool-size debt to be a major trophy contender again.

CCSLC signature.png

Arsenal spent I think 12 million pounds on Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, an entirely untried teenage prospect whose only first team experience came in league 1. They haven't been building a team on the cheap. They have had plenty of investment from Kroenke and Usmanov. Finance is no excuse for the state they find themselves in.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Arsenal spent I think 12 million pounds on Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, an entirely untried teenage prospect whose only first team experience came in league 1. They haven't been building a team on the cheap. They have had plenty of investment from Kroenke and Usmanov. Finance is no excuse for the state they find themselves in.

Bingo. They have plenty of money, there's no reason why they shouldn't after all these years of Top 4 & Champions League football that they've played. It's just the fact that spending on, like you said, unknown hot prospects has finally caught up with Wenger. It's one thing to build for the future, but you have to spend that money on established talent as well. That being said, I don't think he's gonna get "sacked in the morning." I think if they go one more season w/o a trophy, Wenger is donezo at Highbury.

Seems like City-Spurs & Utd-Gunners was more of a "wrong place, wrong time" situation in both of those games for the losers. Arsenal's troubles have already been examined, Spurs haven't exactly started off their season on the right foot, while the Manchester clubs have come screaming like a banshee out of the gate. Crazy day.

Archived