Toronto ranked 'worst sports city' by ESPN

Magnus

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I, for one, cannot believe that Joe Maddon is the 20th best coach in North American sports while Joel Quenneville is merely the 21st. I remember the last time I argued that Joel Quenneville was better than Joe Maddon while still inferior to 19 other coaches; I'm sad to say the discussion generated more heat than light.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Shouldn't Atlanta take massive penalty points for the whole "THE GODDAMN HOCKEY TEAM MOVED TO WINNIPEG" thing?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

"Will the Leafs get better anytime soon?"

"As long as a spreadsheet is running the team...no."

Shouldn't Atlanta take massive penalty points for the whole "THE GODDAMN HOCKEY TEAM MOVED TO WINNIPEG" thing?

Things are going swimmingly for the Braves & Falcons (they rounded out the top 20 @ 19 & 20), but the Hawks & the Artists Formerly Known as the Thrashers were down in the cellar. For the 8 billionth time, as long as ASG is in charge, whatever they run is a Mickey Mouse organization.

Seems like a good time to post this that I made.

ESPN.png

All the photo sites make it small, but fun facts... The Spurs are the best, the Knicks are the worst, and they forgot the New York Giants in 2004.

Do you have a bigger version of this?

2ry0jsl.jpg

Fast. Hard. Finish.

they will next year, too soon to count in this

They counted it.

THRASHERS (115)

Last Year’s Rank: 109

Title Track: 120

Ownership: 122

Coaching: 103

Players: 110

Fan Relations: 107

Affordability: 99

Stadium Experience: 102

Bang for the Buck: 65

The rumors finally proved true for the Thrashers, but not until fans had watched the dismal 2010-11 season draw to a close. New faces in both the GM’s and president’s offices didn’t bring enough positive change to keep the franchise in the ATL for another year. Nor did a major multiplayer trade last June. Instead, the changes led to the worst Ownership ranking out of all 122 major pro teams. So while the Atlanta Hawks — also operated by the Atlanta Spirit Group — were making headlines by reaching the 2011 NBA playoffs, their oft-ignored sibling began packing for Winnipeg. The ASG, which announced in January that it had lost $130 million over the past six years, had been trying to dump the team since 2005, doing business on the cheap. As a result, the Thrashers made just one playoff appearance in 11 seasons. Perhaps the writing was on the wall in February 2010 when the team traded Ilya Kovalchuk, its franchise player and one of the league’s top scorers. Atlanta still averaged 13,469 fans per game for the swan song, boasting a roster that featured a record five African-American players. Otherwise, there’s not much praise to go with the blame. Usually we’d tell a fan base, “There’s always next season.” But, for Atlanta fans, there won’t be one.

Toronto can't be that bad of a sports city. ESPN forgot (or just didn't know) about the NLL's Toronto Rock winning the 2011 NLL championship.

They only counted NHL, MLB, NBA, and NFL. Other leagues included, the Rock would bring it up, the Argos would raise it, but TFC would send it back down to base level ^_^ .

soundersbanner.png

I have a huge problem with the Caps being 1 ranking above the freaking Phoenix Coyotes. I call bull :censored: upon thee!

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Pretty stoked to see the Angels still up at the top, as always. The Angels have never been out of the Top 10 and have been in the Top 5 the majority of the time (5 out of 9 years they've done it).

Also just as stoked to see that since the NHL was put back into the ratings after the lockout, the Ducks have not been out of the Top 25.

And yeah I'm with you on the Coyotes, Don. Not only one spot below the Caps, they're one spot above the NBA Champion Mavericks, 4 above the World Series Champion Giants, 15 above the Canucks, 16 above the Heat, and 44 above the Stanley Cup Champion Bruins. That is really really strange to me.

There are some weird instances throughout it, but some weird ones from up top: Tampa Bay Lightning jump up 68 spots to #2 overall? Grizzlies #9? Sabres #11? Magic at #16? Predators at #18? I mean I could go on with some of these. And I know there are more factors than just a winning team, but still.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Pretty stoked to see the Angels still up at the top, as always. The Angels have never been out of the Top 10 and have been in the Top 5 the majority of the time (5 out of 9 years they've done it).

Also just as stoked to see that since the NHL was put back into the ratings after the lockout, the Ducks have not been out of the Top 25.

And yeah I'm with you on the Coyotes, Don. Not only one spot below the Caps, they're one spot above the NBA Champion Mavericks, 4 above the World Series Champion Giants, 15 above the Canucks, 16 above the Heat, and 44 above the Stanley Cup Champion Bruins. That is really really strange to me.

There are some weird instances throughout it, but some weird ones from up top: Tampa Bay Lightning jump up 68 spots to #2 overall? Grizzlies #9? Sabres #11? Magic at #16? Predators at #18? I mean I could go on with some of these. And I know there are more factors than just a winning team, but still.

The Angels were second when I did the teams near the top teams. But as far as the lightning, they improved on fan relations, ownership, affordability, and extra stuff like that.

Stevie Y is good, but not that damn good.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I have a huge problem with the Caps being 1 ranking above the freaking Phoenix Coyotes. I call bull :censored: upon thee!

Welp, you can't say Coyotes games ain't cheap. You could probably get into a Coyotes game using your black card (seriously, a literal ace of spades would get you into select Coyotes games. :P), their crazy (yet futile) deals to get people in the arena are pretty good (Remember the Buck Bash?) and they have been in the playoffs on a somewhat regular basis despite the absolute lack of fan support. They may have nonexistent ownership & atrocious attendance, but it's a good product...just in a terrible place for hockey. :lol:

The Grizzlies at #9 was a huge head-scratcher to me, too.

Glad I didn't see the franchise rankings in 2003

Reds - 93rd

Bengals - 118th

Blue Jackets - 119th

Also, the Bengals were as high as 19th as recently as 2006. Now they're dead last. I hate this team so much.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived