Toronto ranked 'worst sports city' by ESPN

Magnus

Sounds like a great new spin-off topic though... "When did you lose your last ounce of respect for The Worldwide Leader?".

When they went from covering sports stories to trying to make them. It was a gradual thing for me. I can't point to any one instance where I pretty said ok that's it, ESPN sucks now.

I think what happened was that ESPN fell into the same trap as the 24 news networks. They don't report on facts anymore. They just talk about opinion. You watch a Sportscenter from the late 90's you'll see two anchors at a desk reporting on the highlights. If there's a story that needs more coverage they'll cut to a reporter on site. Above all else though just make sure every major game in the country gets a highlight package.

Now they don't report anymore. They just bring in analysts to give thier opinion on what they think might be happening, to the point where they need their own shows outside of Sportscenter, so now a third of ESPN's programming is just talking heads. Its boring as hell to because there's some stories that can only be spun so many ways. Is LeBron James clutch or not? You could probably break it down for about half an hour, but after that you gotta say give it a rest already and lets move on. ESPN has been talking about that for years now though. You also now that at the end of the day when he finally does win a title the answer is going to be yes and all ESPN will do is talk about how stupid it was to have the debate in the first place.

Just BS like that. Really heavy on opinion, not so much on whats happening at the moment.

Thank god the X-Games got in when it did, because there would is no way ESPN would ever take a chance on covering an up and coming sport like that these days. My bet is that they would give it the UFC treatment. Meaning that they would never talk about it at all until it got to the point where it became so popular they would have no choice but to cover it.

I really think the people at ESPN believe that they have become an essential part of the sporting landscape and that without them people wouldn't know what to do with themselves when it came to watching and or reading about sports.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't forget the lockout.

Actually I thought they would talk about that nonstop but its only been little chat everyday.

t5ty54wyetw_zpsubqd9h5t.jpg

St. Paul Pioneers(GHA) Minnesota Skeeters(CL) Minnesota Lake Monsters(UFL)

Actually I thought they would talk about that nonstop but its only been little chat everyday.

I thought so as well. To be fair it is important and should be reported on but they don't need to constantly be talking about the NFL when to be honest very little is actually going on.

They did more coverage on this year's draft then in any previous year by far. It was the lead on Mike and Mike for like a month, just because they were that desperate to talk about football and had nothing else to talk about in relation to the NFL. Very little gets out about what actually goes on behind those closed doors, so you can only talk about negotiations so much and its not something people really like hearing about either.

God forbid they talk about the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Sounds like a great new spin-off topic though... "When did you lose your last ounce of respect for The Worldwide Leader?".

When they went from covering sports stories to trying to make them. It was a gradual thing for me. I can't point to any one instance where I pretty said ok that's it, ESPN sucks now.

I think what happened was that ESPN fell into the same trap as the 24 news networks. They don't report on facts anymore. They just talk about opinion. You watch a Sportscenter from the late 90's you'll see two anchors at a desk reporting on the highlights. If there's a story that needs more coverage they'll cut to a reporter on site. Above all else though just make sure every major game in the country gets a highlight package.

Now they don't report anymore. They just bring in analysts to give thier opinion on what they think might be happening, to the point where they need their own shows outside of Sportscenter, so now a third of ESPN's programming is just talking heads. Its boring as hell to because there's some stories that can only be spun so many ways. Is LeBron James clutch or not? You could probably break it down for about half an hour, but after that you gotta say give it a rest already and lets move on. ESPN has been talking about that for years now though. You also now that at the end of the day when he finally does win a title the answer is going to be yes and all ESPN will do is talk about how stupid it was to have the debate in the first place.

Just BS like that. Really heavy on opinion, not so much on whats happening at the moment.

Thank god the X-Games got in when it did, because there would is no way ESPN would ever take a chance on covering an up and coming sport like that these days. My bet is that they would give it the UFC treatment. Meaning that they would never talk about it at all until it got to the point where it became so popular they would have no choice but to cover it.

I really think the people at ESPN believe that they have become an essential part of the sporting landscape and that without them people wouldn't know what to do with themselves when it came to watching and or reading about sports.

That was Cujo's quote, not mine.

Toronto can't be that bad of a sports city. ESPN forgot (or just didn't know) about the NLL's Toronto Rock winning the 2011 NLL championship.

They also forgot that Toronto won for having 'The Best Sport's Bar in North America" contest last fall. If only that counted for something.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

I've slowly grown to loathe ESPN's biased, limited excuse for coverage, but the last straw was the introduction of the LA bureau/studio. They promised to cover west-coast teams more then, but the same rotation of Boston/New York/Pittsburgh/Lakers and the same three stories they're obsessed with at any given time has not only continued, it seems to have gotten worse.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I've slowly grown to loathe ESPN's biased, limited excuse for coverage, but the last straw was the introduction of the LA bureau/studio. They promised to cover west-coast teams more then, but the same rotation of Boston/New York/Pittsburgh/Lakers and the same three stories they're obsessed with at any given time has not only continued, it seems to have gotten worse.

Yes it has, it seems like its the Lebron/lockout/whatever offseason it is show.

Detroit Falcons (NABL) | Detroit Gears (UFL)

Archived