Winnipeg Falcons

sparkychewbarky

I know...we're all overloaded with Winnipeg Jets/Falcons stuff:

But I had to finish what I had started.

And what I had set out to do was create a simple, classic Winnipeg Falcon identity.

I wanted to keep an 'aviation' feel to the unis by using what 'hockey week' calls the northwestern stripes.

The 3 stripes were also referred to as 'invasion stripes' by the allies in WW2, and were a popular motif

on planes from several nations. I'll call them the nor'western invasion stripes.

I used Falcon colours of grey/blue, black, white and yellow/gold. I wanted a colour scheme unique to Winnipeg.

The concept got a little too busy, IMO, so I went back to the drawing tablet and started again.

So, (I still need to develop a new wordmark),

here's the logos.

falconlogos.jpg

4 sets of unis...

Home & Away

falconhome.jpgfalconaway.jpg

3rd Black & Olympic Gold Commemorative

falcon3rd.jpgfalconcommemorative.jpg

Well...Thar she be...

Oh, by the way, Winnipeg has acquired Johan Franzen.

He was photographed in Sweden yesterday.

franzen.jpg

Sorry, Fraser.

i really love these colors. the alternate mark is a very nice concept but still needs work. its just completely flat, while the primary has some shading to it. i think the "W" needs a bit more style too. a slab serif font would work well here i think.

the photo mock up looks good, but watch your edges. i can see the masking

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

oh, i guess you're right, Northwestern stripes are what you see on the Steelers jersey, with a thick stripe flanked by thinner stripes, while looking at your first postings, I thought it was more of that. that's my bad. "Invasion stripes" it is (I like the name anyways).

I'm missing the black in the stripes (they really did pop) and the hemline piping, but the improvements to the logo make this one badass bird. I'm really impressed. Little things like the notches in the W have gone a long way.

The second alternate is also a really nice touch. Great job, you've used suggestions well (even though there were a lot of them and this concept has really become something to write home about. Nice work.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

They look good--and the colours are okay--but again, like other concepts, I'd like to see this in the Winnipeg Blue Bomber colours--I think those would just look great.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Not bad, the updated color scheme really works well here, and normally I'm more partial to darker shades of blue compared to the lighter shades when it comes to sports concepts. I love the commemorative jerseys, and the only design flaw I see, and that's a personal pet peeve of mine when it comes to hockey jerseys, and that's the pit-stains.

O.K....

-Took out the "pit stains". They were unnecessary.

-Put the black back in the striping on the home uni.

Didn't look as good on the away sweaters hockey week, so I left them the same.

Probably not as much contrast on the blue/grey striping.

-Put a hem stripe on the all black

-Toned back the yellow on the commemorative

falcon3rd2.jpgfalconcommemorative2.jpg

Then I sent a revised uni back out to Johan.

franzen2.jpg

Won't get to the logo changes, but Brandn's right...They need work.

Thanks to all for input.

Sparky out.

Have to say I like the logo a lot, and it's really improved with each set of changes, but the one real issue I still have is that you alter the primary logo ot use it on the home uni. To me that makes no sense, the home uni is in essense the primary uni, so it should use the primary logo unchanged. Infact to be honest IMO a logo should never change regardless of which uni it's on. As far as I'm concern a good identity should be set in stone.

I can understand in a way why you chose to make the W white on the purple jersey, but you have a strong enough keyline around it to stop it getting lost so I'd prefer to see it remain purple in all uses.

Cant comment much with regards uni design I dont really follow hockey so have no real clue what's considered good or not, but I do like the logo a great deal. Good job!

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

I'd say you're right, 9ers, but these guys did it so well...

000305589.jpghawer01.jpg

A color-changing logo would actually be a detail that works well with the Winnipeg traditions.

Nice changes. I actually kinda liked the armpit stains, they were big enough that they'd never be mistaken for an actual pitstain, and added some detail to the body of the jersey. In fact, I'd go so far as to say with the pitstains, it was better without the black, but without them, it needs the black. Idk if that makes sense, but looking between your two photo-mockups, that's the impression I get.

I'd love to see the rest of the jerseys on players, it really makes the whole thing come to life.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Have to say I like the logo a lot, and it's really improved with each set of changes, but the one real issue I still have is that you alter the primary logo ot use it on the home uni. To me that makes no sense, the home uni is in essense the primary uni, so it should use the primary logo unchanged. Infact to be honest IMO a logo should never change regardless of which uni it's on. As far as I'm concern a good identity should be set in stone.

I can understand in a way why you chose to make the W white on the purple jersey, but you have a strong enough keyline around it to stop it getting lost so I'd prefer to see it remain purple in all uses.

Cant comment much with regards uni design I dont really follow hockey so have no real clue what's considered good or not, but I do like the logo a great deal. Good job!

9erssteve

Thanks Steve. Interesting comments.The colour-changing logos probably happen more in hockey than the other sports,

because the logo is front and centre on the changing sweater. In football the logo's on the non-changing helmet. In basketball,

the logo's secondary to the wordmark- the wordmark changes colour.

In baseball, the Yanks will use a white NY on their black spring unis.

In hockey, the Maple Leafs, the Canucks, the new Lightning all alternate.

I will try the constant approach. Thanks.

Without the pit-stains the jersey looks a lot cleaner on Johan. The toned down yellow on the commemorative jerseys actually looks a little better than the previous version, while that shade of blue you used has grown on me, and overall this concept has really improved so I can't say there's anything about the entire kit now that I don't like.

9erssteve

Thanks Steve. Interesting comments.The colour-changing logos probably happen more in hockey than the other sports,

because the logo is front and centre on the changing sweater. In football the logo's on the non-changing helmet. In basketball,

the logo's secondary to the wordmark- the wordmark changes colour.

In baseball, the Yanks will use a white NY on their black spring unis.

In hockey, the Maple Leafs, the Canucks, the new Lightning all alternate.

I will try the constant approach. Thanks.

Like I said I dont follow hockey much at all, so if there is a precident for having logo's alter depending on which jersey they appear then it makes much more sense, with that said though, personally I'd always make the primary logo which would appear on stationary, ads, and standard merchandise the one that appears on the home uni. So if you go with the white W on the home uni I think that should be the overall primary and change it up for the alt.

But again that's just the opinion of a football junkie and might not be as important or relevant in the hockey world. Again good job on the logo!

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Archived