Rate That Uni: CCSLC Edition

thespleenenator

So I stumbled upon a site called The Upset Blog the other day and came across a series that they called rate that uni (example here http://www.theupsetblog.com/2011/06/rate-that-uni-utah-state.html). I was thinking "How about if CCSLC does something like that?". So here it is, the Official Rate That Uni Thread of this forum. It works like this: Every 3 days I will post a uniform to rate (Alphabetically by each conference). Post your ratings below in this format:

Helmet: (Grade A+-F)

Uniform 1: (Grade)

Uniform 2:

Uniform 3:

etc.

You can give a reason why you rated them that way or not, but you don't have to. I will gather upon the information and get an average pulse (or average rating) of how the CCSLC feels about that schools uniforms. After those 3 days, your votes will not be counted in order to avoid mass chaos when there are more uniforms on this thread. Also, try not to flame, and if someone goes and says "I think New Mexico State has the best uniforms in teh word!", don't chastise them. In the long run their loner vote probably won't make to much of a difference anyway.

The First Uniform is Boston College.

Home (Gold Pants)

Weber+State+v+Boston+College+dYnULqfcwNAl.jpg

Home (White Pants)

gyi0061802630.jpg

Away

BC_Montel_Harris_t607.jpg

Really this is just a fun project that I hope works out. if nobody votes, then I'll probably stop.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

I really really like the idea of this thread. some teams have great uniforms and terrible helmets...and the other way around.

Boston College helmet: C+ ...no real reason to rate a plain helmet higher than this. It's good, especially as a stand alone, but it's obviously not an eye catcher like some other classic helmets are.

Jerseys: C ...I actually really like unique number fonts, but the previous style BC used was way better. the gold on red looks really bad with white pants, and gold for that matter.

The use of black in the pants stripe is terrible. it's not in any other element of the uniform except the logos. the pants stripe is a little "klunky"

Helmet: F ...They have modern looking jerseys and an old looking plain gold helmet with a maroon stripe. The helmet could definitely use a logo on it.

Jersey 1: A-

Jersey 2: B

Jersey 3: B+

Woah! You think I'm Cody? My name is Carl Scott Simone and we just happen to share a birthday. BIG DEAL.

the way i look at a uniform is with everything together. i dont really like to pick things apart and judge them. so ill vote on everything as a whole

BC home, white pants - B

choosing this over gold pants just to give them some separation from Florida St. its a timeless look, even with the modern numbers which keeps them looking youthful and fresh. the number font works in place of a logo for them (nevermind the eagle on the shoulder). the uniform is instantly recognizable by the colors and font alone

BC, road - A

i love white and white with a different colored helmet. dosnt matter what colors are in the palette, its always a great system.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Beautiful color scheme...those colors just work together. And I've always loved those numbers. And why are so many people hating on that helmet? That's one of the all-time college classics right there.

Oh wait--we supposed to be talkin' bout Boston College ain't we? :D (My bad...I was talkin bout that other school in that picture up there.)

Okay, back to BC...I personally have never had an issue with their uniform set--except for pairing the white pants with their dark tops--doesnt go with the gold lids at all. You see those numbers, you instantly know who you're looking at--and while some folks despise italicized jersey numbers, when done right they can look pretty daggone awesome, as is the case here. All that said, the blank helmet does leave a sense of something to be desired...if a logo had to go there, I'd just stick their "BC" monogram up there & call it a day.

Overall...I'll give them an 8 out of 10.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

^ And yet YOU were the first to mention the "O" word. So remember that when the flamewar starts up, aiight? :P

Now, let's ALL do our part to stay ON TOPIC, can we do that? Some of us actually enjoy troll-free civil discussion around here.

So, back to Boston College...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Helmet: **1/2*

Mainly for not having a logo on it. It seems a bit old time high schoolish to sport a helmet with no logo on it. I barely give the Browns a pass on this. But i like metallic gold helmets so it gets a few points for that. throw a logo on it and it gets close to 4* if not 5*.

Uniform 1: ****1/4*

I took points off for mainly the numbers. you have a traditional set yet you have this modern alph-numeric set. If they are going to go traditional then the alpha-numerics kinda need to reflect that. Otherwise, i love the red and metallic gold set.

Uniform 2: ***3/4*

i'm not a fan of white pants in general i find it kind of makes uniforms seem a bit plain and sterile. I tend to prefer metallic colors like gold, silver for pant colors. I do understand why they would use white pants which would seperate them from Florida State. But for me I prefer the gold pants over the white ones.

Uniform 3: ***3/4*

Same situation for the other uniform sets. The only situation where i like the white on white is in the case of say Kansas City Chiefs and the New York Jets. Even then i do find it abit sterile and i like when they break out the colored pants to break the monotony. Personally i prefer the white on gold. It's a combo i like seeing the Saints, Rams and 49ers in.

Overall: ***1/2*

I think overall they have a nice traditional look and they are quite pleasing to the eyes. I love the color scheme, there's no crazy oregon jersey nonsense. just a good visually pleasing set. It's a set i don't think you need to go crazy with the piping or anything like that; just some minor changes and you have a nice 4 to 5 star set.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I know everybody has there own way of voting, but for the sake of consistent data, it would be much easier if everybody voted the A B C D way. Thank you.

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Hell, might as well chime in. No one else is voting.

Helmet: B. I actually disagree with the notion that all blank helmets should be rated equally. Some work well with the color scheme. Some don't, this does. But it still is a blank helmet.

Home (Red,Gold): B+. Great design by UA (for once). Not a fan of the font or the TV numbers though.

Home (Red,White): B-. Boston College wearing white pants just doesn't look as good to me. It just seems empty to me.

Road:B-. Really, the only reason I don't like this is because the TV number s REALLY stand out in this uniform. Plus, They look much better when they wear white with red.

Overall: B. Nothing bad, nothing good. An eagle logo on the helmet would make this uniform much better.

I'm going to try something a little different in my ratings:

Helmets: D. Yes, there are some schools that are OK using no logo. But they are few and far between, and BC doesn't fit in on this. The helmets are blah.

Number font: C. I realize the numbers are copying the logo, but Italics are still tough to read.

Use of color: B. Nice mix. Would be an A if there was something on the helmets.

Use of tradition: B-. I don't associate tradition with BC, so it's probably good to average. The italic numbers hurt.

I know everybody has there own way of voting, but for the sake of consistent data, it would be much easier if everybody voted the A B C D way. Thank you.

no i rather be the dallas cowboys and just be different by using multiple shades of blue, black, silver, jersey styles and using multiple wordmarks.

or we use the commonly used method: :puke::notworthy:

since this is a scientific study where you need letters heres my votes

heres my revised rating according to the mandate of this thread:

Helmet: D+

UNI 1: A-

UNI 2: B-

UNI 3: B-

Overall: B

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

As a BC grad, I love the look. When Reebok first introduced this set, I wasn't a big fan but they have really grown on me.

Helmet: B+. I get that most people don't like the plain helmet but BC has been using it forever. The addition of the maroon stripe in '91 was a nice touch to differentiate from that other Catholic school. Adding a logo would be tough because nothing that BC uses now would work well on the side of a helmet.

Home 1: A. These are almost perfect. The italics are not as messy as they used to be now that they simply have a white outline. I also agree with those who have said that the numbers make them instantly recognizable. They're modern without being gaudy. The only thing that I would change is ditching the crappy eagle head on the shoulders in favor of the full eagle.

Home 2: C-. The white pants should not be worn at home.

Away: A. The monochrome look works here. Only improvement again would be the shoulder logo.

BCBannersSig.png

bump for more voters. Last chance to vote for Boston College.

Color scheme: A

Those colors always look good together.

Helmet: C

For a "blank: helmet it's OK. They may be one of the few teams with a blank helmet where I think trying out a logo wouldn't be the worst idea.

Home uniform w/gold pants: C

Florida State clone with a bad number font and blank helmet.

Home uniform w/white pants: B-

The white pants are less "FSU-ish" so they get points for making the less obvious choice; only to lose points again for that number font.

Away uniform: B-

Again, the number font hurts them. But they get points for going white on white when they easily could have gone the common route and went with the gold pants.

Overall; Not awful. Nothing special.

BB52Big.jpg

Alright, well, i decided to not close Boston College because right now I only have 11 votes to count. I'm not asking for 100 or something, but at least 20 would suffice. Next up Clemson.

Helmet:

Clemson+Helmet.jpg

Home (Purple, Orange):

5871639.jpeg

Home (Orange, Orange):

6004685.jpeg

Home (Orange, White):

clemson-ellington2_display_image.jpg

Home (Orange, Purple):

5705914.jpeg

Away (White, White):

5735816.jpeg

Away (White,Orange):

5957333.jpeg

Away (White, Purple):

CU_WF_4th251_t607.jpg

I don't mean to be, well, mean here, but if you do not vote the way I instructed in the first post, your vote will not be counted, because then people make up new categories instead of the ones I'm actually trying to gauge and by the end of the day we have really confusing data. Thank you.

Archived