NashVille Predators New Logos

BLUELANDbeliever

For the most part, I agree with epper.

As I said on the other thread, the guitar pick is too gimmicky. Yes, I realize Nashville is the Music City, but it seems incongruous within a brand identity for a team called the "Predators."

This is just an attempt to shoehorn something regional into an identity where it doesn't fit.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coming from a fan's point of view here, I'm pretty shocked first off. I saw the goalie mask with the "NP" logo, but I didn't see it leading to a complete update. The obvious opinion here is that this is a 1000% upgrade. While it clearly is, this fanbase that has grown to love the crazy, over-detailed logo is (judging by the facebook comments) not really liking this. After all, the franchise has been around since 1998, and finally had its most successful season this year (with a fanbase that has ever been stronger)- with that logo. I personally am having a hard time with the lack of detail on the tooth, and lack of silver from the color scheme altogether, but it'll grow on me.

A bad design is a bad design. The overly detailed chromed look was awful. This new design keeps the spirit of the identity that's existed since 1998 intact while removing the elements that held the identity down.

Overall, I'm impressed and am very glad that the Preds are no longer in the basement of pro sports logos, and look forward to seeing the new jerseys Friday- personally hoping one of them isn't gold.

You don't want a gold sweater? I'm all for it as long as it isn't that awful mustard colour the pre-Edge alternates used.

If there is a gold sweater though, I hope it's used on the road. Yellow, as a substitute for white, is a severely under-realized concept in pro sports.

The guitar pick mark is also very spiffy. I feel as though they should have incorporated some scratches or bitemarks on it though, as right now it has nothing to do with the Predators name.

Its to reflect the music heritage and tradition of being the 'music city'.

Nah, really?

I said it has nothing to do with Predators, not Nashville.

That's fine though. It's the shoulder alternate mark. It's supposed to emphasize a part of the identity that the primary isn't. The primary represents the "Predators" half of the name, the guitar pick alternates represents the "Nashville" half.

Coming from a fan's point of view here, I'm pretty shocked first off. I saw the goalie mask with the "NP" logo, but I didn't see it leading to a complete update. The obvious opinion here is that this is a 1000% upgrade. While it clearly is, this fanbase that has grown to love the crazy, over-detailed logo is (judging by the facebook comments) not really liking this. After all, the franchise has been around since 1998, and finally had its most successful season this year (with a fanbase that has ever been stronger)- with that logo. I personally am having a hard time with the lack of detail on the tooth, and lack of silver from the color scheme altogether, but it'll grow on me.

A bad design is a bad design. The overly detailed chromed look was awful. This new design keeps the spirit of the identity that's existed since 1998 intact while removing the elements that held the identity down.

Overall, I'm impressed and am very glad that the Preds are no longer in the basement of pro sports logos, and look forward to seeing the new jerseys Friday- personally hoping one of them isn't gold.

You don't want a gold sweater? I'm all for it as long as it isn't that awful mustard colour the pre-Edge alternates used.

If there is a gold sweater though, I hope it's used on the road. Yellow, as a substitute for white, is a severely under-realized concept in pro sports.

That's very true but does the NHL have rules against that? The Lakers were grandfathered in but I assume that the NBA has rules against that too. As much as I'd love to see it I feel like the NHL probably has some rule that says white must be worn on the road, ever since they changed white to the road color in the early 2000s.

That's very true but does the NHL have rules against that? The Lakers were grandfathered in but I assume that the NBA has rules against that too. As much as I'd love to see it I feel like the NHL probably has some rule that says white must be worn on the road, ever since they changed white to the road color in the early 2000s.

Helmets. Two teams can't both wear dark helmets. That might mean that we see the return of the yellow helmet to the NHL ala the Kings and Penguins of the 80's or it means that they wear the new yellow jerseys at home with their navy blue helmets and then wear white helmets with white jerseys on the road.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Helmets. Two teams can't both wear dark helmets. That might mean that we see the return of the yellow helmet to the NHL ala the Kings and Penguins of the 80's or it means that they wear the new yellow jerseys at home with their navy blue helmets and then wear white helmets with white jerseys on the road.

Does that apply to non-gold/yellow jerseys as well? Like, for instance, could Montreal wear their red jerseys against the Leafs, who'd wear their blue jerseys, as long as one team has white helmets (I assume the Stars/Pens' couldn't both wear black, regardless of helmets). I ask because it wouldn't be too terrible of an idea (in my opinion). The Norwegian national team wears red jerseys with white helmets and it looks rather nice - likewise, the Americans wear navy jerseys with white helmets.

The guitar pick mark is also very spiffy. I feel as though they should have incorporated some scratches or bitemarks on it though, as right now it has nothing to do with the Predators name.

Nah, really?

That's fine though. It's the shoulder alternate mark. It's supposed to emphasize a part of the identity that the primary isn't. The primary represents the "Predators" half of the name, the guitar pick alternates represents the "Nashville" half.

I'm in complete agreement. What you said is exactly right, I was mainly justifying why fans are displeased right now. It's a separation from all that fans have ever known. Will they stay upset? Absolutely not. This will grow on people fast.

Regarding a gold jersey, I wouldn't mind it as a 3rd jersey, but not for something full time. While it would be unique to pro sports (if allowed), I personally just like seeing the Preds in a white jersey more, and don't want the one team that's different to be my team. That's just me. If it were to happen, I would prefer it be the home jersey, though I'm not so sure about games being a gold/yellow jersey vs. a white jersey.

Also, the guitar pick logo (which appears to be loved by all), while indeed being completely out of the Predator theme, is effectively representative of Nashville and Tennessee just like the awesome N-tower logo was. As a lifelong Tennessean, I'm very excited and proud to have the 3 stars from the flag on the jerseys.

...It also means the death of that wretched skull logo, which no one was proud of. To me, that's the best part of this update. :P

dzh6fs12jk4gddgfd123hlxft.gif

As I said on the other thread, the guitar pick is too gimmicky. Yes, I realize Nashville is the Music City, but it seems incongruous within a brand identity for a team called the "Predators."

This is just an attempt to shoehorn something regional into an identity where it doesn't fit.

I don't mind the pick...quite a few shoulder patches in the NHL have been based on city/region. Ottawa's old Peace Tower logo, Florida's sun/palm, Phoenix's state outline, etc etc etc. Regional shoulder patches can work. The Flames patches don't work because they are just flags.

This is a huge upgrade for Nashville. The primary got better, the pick is great, and the NP logo is solid as well.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Nah, really?

...It also means the death of that wretched skull logo, which no one was proud of. To me, that's the best part of this update. :P

I liked the skull logo, for what it was. It reminded that the name wasn't just a generic, macho sports name but a name that was relevant to the history of the city in which it played. From the team's website:

In May of 1971, excavation began at the downtown Nashville site of what today is the 28-story First American Center. Construction workers drilled through 20 feet of solid rock before coming to a soft muddy area. Further digging revealed a cave containing the nine-inch fang and a foreleg bone of a saber-toothed tiger, extinct for at least 10,000 years.

Radiocarbon tests on the specimen revealed that it could have possibly been one of the last of its breed to exist. Scientists believe that some time during the last glacial period (15,000-80,000 years ago) part of the cave was the den of the saber-toothed tiger.

The discovery, made in August 1971, marks only the fifth of its kind in North America. The cave, located beneath the building, is preserved under concrete for historic and educational purposes.

I think that's pretty cool.

Nah, really?

I liked the skull logo, for what it was. It reminded that the name wasn't just a generic, macho sports name but a name that was relevant to the history of the city in which it played. From the team's website:

In May of 1971, excavation began at the downtown Nashville site of what today is the 28-story First American Center. Construction workers drilled through 20 feet of solid rock before coming to a soft muddy area. Further digging revealed a cave containing the nine-inch fang and a foreleg bone of a saber-toothed tiger, extinct for at least 10,000 years.

Radiocarbon tests on the specimen revealed that it could have possibly been one of the last of its breed to exist. Scientists believe that some time during the last glacial period (15,000-80,000 years ago) part of the cave was the den of the saber-toothed tiger.

The discovery, made in August 1971, marks only the fifth of its kind in North America. The cave, located beneath the building, is preserved under concrete for historic and educational purposes.

As cool as the story behind it is, I always that the logo was rather overdetailed and ugly. Not gonna miss it.

Edit: Never mind...

Sure, the historical connection is great, but as a replacement for the N-tower logo on the home and away jerseys, it was downgrade. One sabre-tooth tiger design on a jersey is enough.

dzh6fs12jk4gddgfd123hlxft.gif

I don't mind the pick...quite a few shoulder patches in the NHL have been based on city/region. Ottawa's old Peace Tower logo, Florida's sun/palm, Phoenix's state outline, etc etc etc. Regional shoulder patches can work. The Flames patches don't work because they are just flags.

This is a huge upgrade for Nashville. The primary got better, the pick is great, and the NP logo is solid as well.

Nashville had that... then they got rid of it.

ulzqc7eqn03te56yy76rek6gw.gif

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I'm in complete agreement. What you said is exactly right, I was mainly justifying why fans are displeased right now. It's a separation from all that fans have ever known. Will they stay upset? Absolutely not. This will grow on people fast.

Especially if they continue to improve. It seems like management knows what it's doing down in Nashville. Truly a remarkable turn-around from a few years ago when people were discussing relocation to Hamilton. Hats off the people running the team and the community for the turnaround.

If they continue to win then people will accept this new look and the chromed, detailed look will be seen as a relic of the days when the team was a basement dweller and losing in the first round of playoffs.

Regarding a gold jersey, I wouldn't mind it as a 3rd jersey, but not for something full time. While it would be unique to pro sports (if allowed), I personally just like seeing the Preds in a white jersey more, and don't want the one team that's different to be my team. That's just me. If it were to happen, I would prefer it be the home jersey, though I'm not so sure about games being a gold/yellow jersey vs. a white jersey.

The lack of contrast is part of the reason I want to see a gold sweater used on the road. Gold vs dark seems preferable to gold vs white. Athletic gold is, in my opinion, light enough to work in place of white. If they adopted a yellow sweater as the road sweater it would give the team a unique look.

Also, the guitar pick logo (which appears to be loved by all), while indeed being completely out of the Predator theme, is effectively representative of Nashville and Tennessee just like the awesome N-tower logo was. As a lifelong Tennessean, I'm very excited and proud to have the 3 stars from the flag on the jerseys.

The three stars on the Tennessee state flag are a great design element. The more Tennessee-based teams that use it the better, in my opinion.

Here's a side-by-side

Preds.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Interesting historocity concerning the Predators name.

As for the logo, it's a definite upgrade. I think that they could've went with a new sabre-toothed tiger logo, but this logo keeps the original logo intact, while improving on it. The guitar pick logo is also a good addition to the Nashville Predators identity.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Nashville had that... then they got rid of it.

ulzqc7eqn03te56yy76rek6gw.gif

Yep. And now that you posted it...I never noticed the large N in the logo. I just thought the gold "cuts" in the N were part of the tower or were supposed to be light. I honestly thought it was just a big navy rectangle with the tower.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Nah, really?

It's a great story, but the skull logo always looked like the primary logo died to me.

Well, I just remembered it will still be around on the 3rds (assuming there's no drastic change to those).

iifcghs8fidnoazz5f7c22el3.gif

Sure, the historical connection is great, but as a replacement for the N-tower logo on the home and away jerseys, it was downgrade. One sabre-tooth tiger design on a jersey is enough.

The third is gone, per the OP and the blog linked earlier in the thread.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Looks fantastic! Can't wait to see these on sweaters. Massive upgrade. The yellow stripe simply, for a lack of better term, works. It flows better, is cleaner, and much more pleasing to the eye. Thumbs up.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived