Kiss Cut Numbers

zilch

It's been a while since I've thought about this, but my gut is telling me two things about those blues jerseys, first that the outside layer on the white and the middle layer on the blue jersey isn't navy its black and that its actually a plastic, rather than a twill (just that layer). I don't remember when I heard this or where, but i feel like it was over at the icejerseys forums. Those guys are 100% hockey and know a lot about little technical things especially technical specs for lettering and numbers. I feel like spyboy1 might have the answer here.

You are partially correct. When the Blues had red in their uniforms the middle layer of the numbers were a "plastic vinyl", the Blues have never ever had black in their uniforms it's just a dark navy. The jersey that I am referring to is the year after the diagonal striped jersey.

Ya I would assume that the bruins jersey is a china fake. No NHL team "nowadays" would have anything screen printed on twill or jersey for that matter

The numbers of the Bruins Edge Game Issued jerseys from at least the first generation of Edge unis did have a number that was a single layer, with screen printed layers, and then stitching on each edge of the layer to replicate the older tackle twill numbers.

I had a jersey done up by the same company that does the Bruin's on-ice unis and they explained this to me when I picked up my Edge and was a little taken aback. Apparently this was done to further minimize the weight of the new templates.

That said, while I was there I saw a Chara Game issued jersey that was in for some alterations, and I can certainly attest that the crest and shoulder patches are fully stitched and that the crest is a triple layer tackle twill application.

Zack

The numbers of the Bruins Edge Game Issued jerseys from at least the first generation of Edge unis did have a number that was a single layer, with screen printed layers, and then stitching on each edge of the layer to replicate the older tackle twill numbers.

I had a jersey done up by the same company that does the Bruin's on-ice unis and they explained this to me when I picked up my Edge and was a little taken aback. Apparently this was done to further minimize the weight of the new templates.

That said, while I was there I saw a Chara Game issued jersey that was in for some alterations, and I can certainly attest that the crest and shoulder patches are fully stitched and that the crest is a triple layer tackle twill application.

Zack

Here are some pictures from another forum detailing the sublimated lettering you described.

IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0439.jpg

Zack

Here are some pictures from another forum detailing the sublimated lettering you described.

IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0439.jpg

Yup... Exactly... they're definitely different than the 3rd layer and may look alright on TV, but I really had hoped they would go with the heavier weight stuff... the tackle twill just feels more substantial.

Here are some pictures of a 98-99 Pierre Turgeon jersey. The dark blue middle "layer" on the numbers is really just stitching holding the gold layer to the white. If you look closely, the A on the chest looks to be 3 true layers of twill.

http://www.dropthepucks.com/sotg/Blues.htm

98-99_St.L_rd_Turgeon_bk.jpg

98-99_St.L_rd_Turgeon_ss.jpg

You can see the effect better on this 1970 jersey.

70-71%20St.%20Louis%20rd%20Roberts%20r.JPG

That was the other way that I was thinking they did it. Kinda hoping that was not it. You would think that the embroidered layer would make the number heavier than just one more layer of twill.

It's been a while since I've thought about this, but my gut is telling me two things about those blues jerseys, first that the outside layer on the white and the middle layer on the blue jersey isn't navy its black and that its actually a plastic, rather than a twill (just that layer). I don't remember when I heard this or where, but i feel like it was over at the icejerseys forums. Those guys are 100% hockey and know a lot about little technical things especially technical specs for lettering and numbers. I feel like spyboy1 might have the answer here.

You are partially correct. When the Blues had red in their uniforms the middle layer of the numbers were a "plastic vinyl", the Blues have never ever had black in their uniforms it's just a dark navy. The jersey that I am referring to is the year after the diagonal striped jersey.

Thanks for setting it straight. I knew there was something really weird about the blues jerseys from the 90s that I had never seen before!

SEAsig.png

Archived