MLB Logos

Lights Out

Here's my ideal MLB logo - shaped like home plate, different silhouette and color scheme depending on the team. The silhouette is from the team's most iconic player or moment. First up: the AL East.

MfDQK.png

Orioles: Cal Ripken, Jr.

Blue Jays: Joe Carter, celebrating his walk-off home run in the '93 WS

Rays: Wade Boggs, tipping his helmet to the crowd after his 3000th hit

Red Sox: Ted Williams

Yankees: Mickey Mantle

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

If your insisting that MLB actually use different logos for each team as the OFFICIAL logo for the league, it would never work. Each team has their logos to identify their organization for official purposes and MLB needs it's one too. Now, as a just for fun or unofficial type thing, then yeah these would be pretty cool.

I'll make a generic logo at the end, but in my plan, that would only be used for umbrella league branding. The specific team logos would be used on each team's uniforms, merchandise, and promotional material.

The MLB logo on each team's uniform and hats is what identifies them as an MLB team, officially. That's the point of the logo.

Another brilliant concept by lights out, I've really enjoyed seeing your concepts and this one is no different. I really do like the idea of this, because a lot of teams do have that "iconic" moment that they are know for. My only problem is that for teams with a lot of history like the Yankees, it may be tough to pick just one moment or player. I am really looking forward to how this turns out though. I hope that you continue with this.

Except that they're not really unique nor do they emphasize the history of the franchises, because you could take half of these and tell me that they're any player for any team and I'd have to take your word for it. There are a few iconic images of players that could make for good silhouettes, but not a lot. I like the idea if it was for a commercial or something where the MLB logo starts off in the center of a map, then goes to New York and morphs into your Mantle logo, then goes to Toronto and morphs again, then returns where it started as the MLB logo (or something like that - the idea does have a lot of potential, just probably not in the way you're envisioning).

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Even though The Mc is my favorite player of all time, I think this would be more appropriate for the Yankees:

babe-ruth-240x300.jpg

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

my suggestion would be to make a primary MLB logo (Sox's one already looks like it) then a team specific logo, like you have, for merchandise. you could pair these logos with the MLB logo and/or team primary on a hat or shirt and have a really cool and creative line of swag. but as an official logo system im not sure it works. its not quite flexible enough to replace the MLB primary, and teams already have their own identity of course.

that said, these are looking fairly good so far, and im excited to see more. some suggestions:

1. try to be more team specific. think of pinstripes, or TB's plaid pattern. anything that is unique to the teams you can use because when you start doing all these red and blue teams, they're just going to blend in together. another solution would be to use some typography, or even team logos.

2. Mickey is a blob. i cant see any distinct features.

3. you have some TERRIBLE tangents going on here. where ever 2 lines touch each other, or are only slightly apart, it creates a visual tension and takes away from the dynamic cropping. 2 shapes/lines should overlap or have a good bit of space between them, NEVER touch the way you have them in all these circles areas

120nssk.jpg

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I don't like these at all really, Vazquez did something similar to the leagues actual logo which made it work but you can't really tell who any of these players are, the home plate isnt working either unless you use one color, it looks like your forcing two colors in.

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

I agree with bigmike, the only one that look kinda good is the Cal Ripken Jr. I think for this to work, you have too have each silhouette in the middle of the plate, reaching from top to bottom so it doesn't look forced. Try it out and see how it looks because this is a great idea.

Untitled.png

Archived