Los Angeles Dodgers: Bankrupt

Mac the Knife

No, what that article means is that Selig doesn't want the Dodgers to default on their obligations. It doesn't mean anything other than that.

He will still take the team away, but until he does he has to make sure there will be something left.

They're basically forcing him not to declare bankruptcy. Any judge will tell him that he has to take the loan because its far more in the team's best interest to do that rather then go into Chapter 11. It basically disqualifies the Dodgers from getting any type of Chapter 11 protection. It also doesen't hurt MLB any because as it stands now they essentially run the team anyway.

That trial will be set for July 20th.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let the "Dodgers-to-Winnipeg" rumors begin!

Winnipeg got their team already. Move them to Montreal who already has an MLB ready stadium. Avenge Blue Monday I say.

I'm not gonna derail too much, but Winnipeg might be ready for AAA ball. PCL average attendance is around 6300, and the Goldeyes are averaging 5500 in a 7300 seat park in indy A-AA ball; if they can align themselves with the Jays, as the Vancouver Canadians have done, they might be a nice surprise.

Would they have to be a Blue Jays affiliate to be viable? What if the Twins moved their affiliation from Rochester?

I really don't think it matters, as long as it wasn't Tampa or Florida. Winnipeg is about a 55-35-10 split as far as Jays-Twins-Yankees/Red Sox/frontrunners, but I really mention the Jays specifically because Toronto has adopted a mandate to groom Canadian talent. Makes sense to me to do it in a reasonably nearby Canadian city that enjoys its baseball in a park that wouldn't take too much to bring up to AAA standards.

Mind you, Ottawa is closer, has a park, and wouldn't incur as many travel costs, but I still love that backwards town and I want to see it make it to the almost big leagues.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

That's really not a huge amount (about $75 million) of debt considering how much the Dodgers pull in every year (well over $200 million) and I'm sure if you opened other team's books you would find something very similar.

The debt isn't the red flag. The red flag is when you can't afford to pay off what I would consider to be a normal amount of debt. Again that isn't a huge amount of debt, so if the money isn't going there and you don't have any other major expenses, where is it going then, and the answer to that would probably be Frank and Jaime McCourt's pockets.

Can't say I wouldn't understand any desires Bud Selig has for pummeling Frank McCourt with a tire iron. The amount of debt that you see, double it and it might still be less then the amount Frank McCourt took out of the club. The Dodgers had the money to pay that debt off easily. Frank McCourt just choose to use the money to buy some homes for him and his former wife instead.

The scary part about all of this is that if the divorce hadn't come about, they would have gotten away with it. They would probably be feelers out there looking to see if anyone was interested in buying the team by now if all had gone to plan. It didn't however and the Dodgers represent Frank McCourt's only real source of income at this point. I'm sure he lost hundreds of millions with the real estate bubble not to mention the fact that his wife is going to get half of whatever is left over.

They're STILL paying (owe) Ishii millions? Wow.

$3M to Marquis Grissom? Dude's been out of the game for like a decade now!

What? You guys didn't check the filing that Mac posted?

I saw, I came, I left.

No, what that article means is that Selig doesn't want the Dodgers to default on their obligations. It doesn't mean anything other than that.

He will still take the team away, but until he does he has to make sure there will be something left.

Oh, yeah I know he'll still take them away, he's still allowing McCourt to keep him for now and I'd be very surprised if Selig didn't take the franchise away. In fact last night/this morning I heard on ESPN that something is holding up the loan or something? I was only have paying attention. I heard something about a copy of the MLB constitution request from the Judge and something about delay in the loan? Anyone know the details on this? I'll see if I can browse ESPN.com for info in the meantime.

I just came across this a few minutes ago:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2011/06/mccourt-keeps-dodgers-for-now-may-get-loan-from-mlb/1

From the looks the article of it MLB is going to allow McCourt to keep the Dodgers... for now and they may give him a loan on top of that... I guess Bud Selig wants McCourt more than he wants Cuban- That says a lot about Selig right there.

No, if anything this is a tactic by MLB to tighten the noose around McCourt's neck. McCourt on the hook to an investment bank for $150M doesn't give MLB nearly the leverage they have if they're the creditor, now or in the future.

MLB wants McCourt out as quickly as possible, and by throwing this out there, they're simply trying to dig their hooks in deeper so they can pry him loose.

nav-logo.png

Flowchart--lease.jpg

This is how McCourt structured his business enterprises so as to siphon off cash. It's actually pretty typical of professional sports operations nowadays to be structured this way, and my commercial real estate holdings are similarly set up, though in my case as a liability shield in case someone decides to file one of those wonderful "slip and fall" lawsuits.

Splitting the ticket operations and parking lots is a new twist, but otherwise what you see above is the rule nowadays rather than the exception. Another sports franchise that's similarly structured, but even to greater maddening degree: the Boston Celtics, who have, I kid you not, at least SIX layers of ownership before you get to the basketball team itself.

nav-logo.png

Jesus :censored:.

There has to be SOMETHING illegal in some of this, right? Some kind of misappropriation, embezzlement, something... surely.

I can tell you that number 8 on that list is illegal if his sons never did any work with the team and the fact that he took out hundreds of millions of dollars from the team without paying any taxes on them is also illegal.

I still stand behind my earlier statement that if this guy were to drop dead tomorrow the world would probably be a better place for it. I honestly think there's a decent chance that he's a psychopath, because if you read what the characteristics are and compare them to the things he's said and done, alot of it matches up. The two big ones being denial of any wrong doing even when presented with evidence and a complete lack of empathy for others.

Archived