Any channel!

EddieJ1984

I guess this is to be a spin off of the 4 networks topic, this can focus on all the other channels!

155754.jpg

Seriously I thought it was a definite downgrade when they changed the comcast sportsnet logo. I mean this looks like something that was designed around 2000 and not in the past few years, with the added swooshes and bigger bulky font for sportsnet. Here was the old one for comparison.

csn-comcast-sports-logo.jpg

I feel like if I showed the 2 logos, and you had to guess which one was the newer one, I would guess the older logo.

im with you, its like they went backwards in time with that logo, pulling a then-trend, now-played-out-cliche' from the turn of the century. step it up Comcast

just browsing the channels here (Superbad on FX!) . . .

speed+channel+logo.jpg

SPEED channel - this isnt terrible, but i feel there could be a lot more done here. well, a better concept any way. this would be an opportunity to something really cool and bad ass. theres nothing really worth salvaging here, you could change the name and apply it to a ton of networks. SPEED isnt that big of a deal either, theres no equity worth saving with the identity. they should do something totally new and fresh. just dropping the stupid PS tricks here would be an improvement

history-channel-logo.jpg

History - this is the one id like to do the most. mainly because of its family of logos. History international is one of the top 3 worst marks i can find on TV. is that Ariel font? c'mon man! the beveled letter can stay but need to be treated better. a flat version would do wonders and get rid of the ugly gold gradients they have going on. this could be an opportunity to introduce some texture to give it a nice aged look. i will say though, whoever is doing their promo animations is really good. sometimes you just have to work with a bad logo

190px-lifetime_logo.svg_ftiu.png

Lifetime - good concept, bad execution. its like its written in lip stick and has a nice feminine thouch, but the end result is just a messy, all over the place mark. it looks cheap and like it was made by a total amateur. considering their on air content though, maybe its the perfect mark for it?

oxygen-logo051311.jpg

Oxygen - this is a weird logo. the transparent swirly thing behind the type is nothing more than a distraction, especially being that unflattering gold color. yuck. it becomes the focal point, even though its supposed to be a containing shape. i couldnt imagine a more terrible choice for a typeface. the thin strokes and tight kerning make it very hard to read at small scale, especially as a watermark.

Speed Channel updated their logo sometime this year, changing the font and dropping the chintzy Photoshop glass effect from the logo. It looks a lot better now.

newest_speed_logo-1-150x67.png

thats not bad. see how simple changes can go a long way? take away the trends (highlights) and cliche's (Impact font), remember your design principals and you can improve any design. still say they could do something way different but i like this

oxygen-logo051311.jpg

Oxygen - this is a weird logo. the transparent swirly thing behind the type is nothing more than a distraction, especially being that unflattering gold color. yuck. it becomes the focal point, even though its supposed to be a containing shape. i couldnt imagine a more terrible choice for a typeface. the thin strokes and tight kerning make it very hard to read at small scale, especially as a watermark.

That's an "O" rotated 45 degrees.

I've never watched a single program on this channel (nor have I ever been able to understand how anyone can stand to watch golf on TV), but I always thought the Golf Channel's logo was pure genius.

golf_channel.jpg

But for something more in-line with the topic, I'll nominate USA's logo. It's always bothered me how the negative space "s" seems so forced.

usa_network.gif

I actually see USA as a candidate for a complete rebrand. The name is a relic from the days when having a channel that could be seen across the entire country was still a big deal, but now it just doesn't make sense for a network that's more concerned with shows featuring flamboyant and quirky characters than any type of hardcore patriotic imagery.

oxygen-logo051311.jpg

That's an "O" rotated 45 degrees.

indeed. i saw it on the network first and was commenting on what was on screen. its looks really weird on TV

I've never watched a single program on this channel (nor have I ever been able to hIunderstand how anyone can stand to watch golf on TV), but I always thought the Golf Channel's logo was pure genius.

golf_channel.jpg

But for something more in-line with the topic, I'll nominate USA's logo. It's always bothered me how the negative space "s" seems so forced.

usa_network.gif

I actually see USA as a candidate for a complete rebrand. The name is a relic from the days when having a channel that could be seen across the entire country was still a big deal, but now it just doesn't make sense for a network that's more concerned with shows featuring flamboyant and quirky characters than any type of hardcore patriotic imagery.

I'm surprised USA have that logo for 6 yrs now so I'm guessing they're going to changed it next year and TNT also need a rebrand.

Speaking of which

vh1logo.jpg

Even if they just made it the word vh1 of that logo it would be better.

and then theres this

mtv2.jpg

I just dont get wtf they were thinkin when they updated it to look like this, they should've just made a new logo.

Yea the MTV logo is classic but it doesnt mean what it used to, it would be like if g4 was still using its 1st logo (instead its using a crappy logo for a crappy network)

usa_network.gif

Especially now that they are part of the NBC stable which is already on the verge of rebranding Versus. IIRC if Versus becomes NBC Sports, then USA Network would be their only channel left without "NBC" somewhere in the name.

I know NBC Universal also owns Bravo, SyFy and a few other channels that don't carry the NBC brand. I remember reading an article that suggested that USA is the network NBC wishes it could be, but is prevented by the fact that such programming is too niche to work on broadcast TV. Given this, it might make sense for USA to carry the Universal branding and become the Universal Network.

I know NBC Universal also owns Bravo, SyFy and a few other channels that don't carry the NBC brand. I remember reading an article that suggested that USA is the network NBC wishes it could be, but is prevented by the fact that such programming is too niche to work on broadcast TV. Given this, it might make sense for USA to carry the Universal branding and become the Universal Network.

There is a Universal channel.

new-comedy-central-logo.jpg

Not a fan of this.

Me neither but at least its better than VH1.

i wasnt a fan at all of this when it launched, but because the animations, supporting graphics, and the whole rest of the identity is so solid im okay with it now. i really loved that old logo of theirs, it communicated their brand perfectly, but i can live with this

There is a Universal channel.

I wasn't even aware of this.

Copy+of+Universal+Channel+logo+white+letters+blue+background_resize.jpg

Shame, because going from "USA" to "Universal" has built-in upgrade implications.

Archived