Is anyone Suprised that no Major Team has ever used Pink as one of their main colors?

atliens99

The official school colors of the University of North Dakota are green and pink -- green for the grass and pink for the state's official flower, the prairie rose. This is something fans of UND's arch-rival, North Dakota State University, like to constantly point out.

However, the official athletic colors for UND are green and white. Some sources say the official colors are green, white and black, but I don't know if black is really official. Black wouldn't be bad as an extra official color, for the soil, coal and oil.

Yeah - I forgot about them:

NorthDakotaUOf_INS_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

NorthDakotaUOf_ATH_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard a rumor that Penn State might of had Pink as a color, but that rumor could be wrong.

Definitely true. Dark Pink and Black were the original school colors.

Yeah they switched from pink and black to blue and white because the pink color faded over time.

e04ylwkfdofkr2ctlerjov26s.gif

I really despised the court they had back then, those fiesta colors were brutal. I remember a friend criticizing the court as being "homosexual."

You know what's fun and amusing to do? Anytime you encounter a crass comment like that, imagine Grant Hill popping up and saying "TIME OUT!" Actually that would make a great message board emoticon thing. It's funny to imagine Grant Hill's message popping up in unexpected situations, but at the same time reinforces the message constructively despite seeming a little silly and funny.

e04ylwkfdofkr2ctlerjov26s.gif

I really despised the court they had back then, those fiesta colors were brutal. I remember a friend criticizing the court as being "homosexual."

You know what's fun and amusing to do? Anytime you encounter a crass comment like that, imagine Grant Hill popping up and saying "TIME OUT!" Actually that would make a great message board emoticon thing. It's funny to imagine Grant Hill's message popping up in unexpected situations, but at the same time reinforces the message constructively despite seeming a little silly and funny.

That's funny. I heard worse about the Denver Nugget rainbow uniforms, basically called the Gay Pride jerseys. Mostly I heard people who were thankful the Spurs never incorporated any of those fiesta elements on their jerseys, and stuck to having them on their warmups.

I heard a rumor that Penn State might of had Pink as a color, but that rumor could be wrong.

It's true. Their colors were originally pink and black. The reason they changed colors is the dye they used for the pink jerseys kept fading the white by the end of the season. The may still be listed as the official colors. I'm not sure about that part though.

Nah...here are the current institutional colors and athletic colors for Penn State:

PennState_INS_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

PennState_ATH_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

Colorwerx you're right about their current colors. Here's a link to the story from Penn St.'s website about pink and black being the school's original colors.

My link

Penn State's student-athletes are instantly identified by their blue and white uniforms - but those weren't the original school colors. A three-member committee representing the sophomore, junior and senior classes was appointed in October of 1887 to develop color options from which the student body would select the school's official colors. Dark pink and black was the unanimous choice of the student body after considering the color combinations presented by the committee.

Soon many students and the baseball team were sporting pink and black striped blazers and caps. However, problems arose when the pink faded to white after several weeks of exposure to the sun. The students then opted for blue, rather than black, and white. The official announcement of the new choice was made on March 18, 1890.

What's that? Did the Hitmen bring back pink? I thought they were wearing black, red, and beige now or something. They should stick with the hot pink.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 3 weeks later...

I did once do a concept with the Bobcats in black and pink, and I got killed for the pink.

Those looked good to me. Pink done right could be pulled off but there's a mentality to overcome. In men's sports, it's not "macho" enough. And a women's team would never use it because it would be too feminine.

Oh, and it's worth mentioning that the Wichita Falls Texans also of the CBA (from 1991-1992 through 1992-1993) wore these colors:

WichitaFallsTexans_FRC_1993_SCC_SRGB.png

These are estimates, but they were definitely using Neon colors...I remember these colors from living in Dallas during that era. I believe they won the CBA championship (or at least came close) during that period.

I remember seeing them play on ESPN when the CBA had a contract (which called for games at about 2:00 Central time on weekday afternoons, including whatever playoff games were shown). I remember the black road uniforms with white numbers and pink trim and I think there may have been pink in the wordmark on the jersey. But I don't remember the green (I only saw that one game, so I don't know if the Texans had a different home design that may have incorporated it).

Oh, and it's worth mentioning that the Wichita Falls Texans also of the CBA (from 1991-1992 through 1992-1993) wore these colors:

WichitaFallsTexans_FRC_1993_SCC_SRGB.png

These are estimates, but they were definitely using Neon colors...I remember these colors from living in Dallas during that era. I believe they won the CBA championship (or at least came close) during that period.

I remember seeing them play on ESPN when the CBA had a contract (which called for games at about 2:00 Central time on weekday afternoons, including whatever playoff games were shown). I remember the black road uniforms with white numbers and pink trim and I think there may have been pink in the wordmark on the jersey. But I don't remember the green (I only saw that one game, so I don't know if the Texans had a different home design that may have incorporated it).

The colors were certainly very close to these estimates...I remember the fans used to wave Pink and Green pom-poms at the games.

Oh - and according to the 1992-1993 CBA Guide & Register - the official colors were listed as shown in my swatch image. However, in the 1991-1992 Guide, they were listed as Navy, Hot Pink and Hot Green. I guess I could go either way on the color descriptions.

Re: the European teams using pink in logos and jerseys

I understand that pink doesn't have the same feminine connotations in Europe that it does in North America. For instance, pink is a standard colour for men's dress shirts in Europe, while it tends to be pretty uncommon here.

Is there any association between pink and femininity in Europe or is that just a North American thing?

If it means anything to anyone, I happen to own a pair of black & pink Jordans.. :P

...Back on topic, though. Wow, Penn State originally had black and pink as school colors? One could only wonder, with all the pride, history, and tradition that school/football program has, how it'd be in current day if they still had those colors.

(Quick--somebody do a concept!)

As an alum of Penn State yes, it's true. They were black and pink. YEARS ago. We're talking before turn of the 20th century. The dyes used faded, the rest is history.

On edit: I see this was already twice addressed. Nevermind.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I understand that pink doesn't have the same feminine connotations in Europe that it does in North America. For instance, pink is a standard colour for men's dress shirts in Europe, while it tends to be pretty uncommon here.

Is there any association between pink and femininity in Europe or is that just a North American thing?

Was not aware of it when I lived in Italy. Was surprised though that Purple is a negative there as it's the color of death. You see it on occasion but not as much as you do in the USA.

I wonder if anyone tried telling the Hart Foundation (Brett "Hitman" Hart & Jim "Anvil" Neihart) of the WWF [now WWE] fame, that the Hot Pink tights they wore looked feminine. Probably would've gotten their clock cleaned!!!

That's funny. I heard worse about the Denver Nugget rainbow uniforms, basically called the Gay Pride jerseys. Mostly I heard people who were thankful the Spurs never incorporated any of those fiesta elements on their jerseys, and stuck to having them on their warmups.

I have to say, I agree with that assessment of the Denver Nuggets' jerseys, but not because they look like they're characteristically homosexual: They look like something a little kid would wear. A little little kid. The logo looks like a kid was trying to build the city of Denver out of those multicolored wooden blocks to show to mommy and daddy. In fact, the uniform itself is somewhat reminiscent of a onesie. To me, the unsuitability of that set has nothing to do with masculinity, per se, or perceptions of sexual orientation: It has to do with adult human beings not wanting to be dressed as children. Male or female, gay or straight: any adult, in my opinion, would (and should) be uncomfortable wearing something like this in public:

DCE751D359197DDF7830CC3CBBF95.jpg

(Though I will note that this may be based on US cultural stereotypes about the prototypical dress of children vs. adults.)

I can't speak to Europe in general, but in England baby boys wear Columbia blue and baby girls wear pink. Yet owning a pink dress shirt is also de rigueur for professional men.

I guess English men, unlike their American cousins, aren't worried that they will be mistaken for little girls if they wear a pink shirt. :P

I can't speak to Europe in general, but in England baby boys wear Columbia blue and baby girls wear pink. Yet owning a pink dress shirt is also de rigueur for professional men.

I guess English men, unlike their American cousins, aren't worried that they will be mistaken for little girls if they wear a pink shirt. :P

I see a lot of pink shirts & polos on guys when I go out in my local area. I've found there's generally 2 types of men who'll wear pink around here - emoish hipster scene types, and hardmen. It's not unusual to see groups of 6-8 hard nuts, all with shaved heads & tattooed necks, wearing pink (and other pastel colours) polos with the collars popped...

Archived