atliens99

Is anyone Suprised that no Major Team has ever used Pink as one of their main colors?

That's funny. I heard worse about the Denver Nugget rainbow uniforms, basically called the Gay Pride jerseys. Mostly I heard people who were thankful the Spurs never incorporated any of those fiesta elements on their jerseys, and stuck to having them on their warmups.

I have to say, I agree with that assessment of the Denver Nuggets' jerseys, but not because they look like they're characteristically homosexual: They look like something a little kid would wear. A little little kid. The logo looks like a kid was trying to build the city of Denver out of those multicolored wooden blocks to show to mommy and daddy. In fact, the uniform itself is somewhat reminiscent of a onesie. To me, the unsuitability of that set has nothing to do with masculinity, per se, or perceptions of sexual orientation: It has to do with adult human beings not wanting to be dressed as children. Male or female, gay or straight: any adult, in my opinion, would (and should) be uncomfortable wearing something like this in public:

DCE751D359197DDF7830CC3CBBF95.jpg

(Though I will note that this may be based on US cultural stereotypes about the prototypical dress of children vs. adults.)

Couldn't disagree more, they were busy but blended into the background of the jersey, much less garish than, say, the Astros rainbows. While a little abstract, the multicolored blocks are a great depiction of bricks/nuggets of multicolored gold ore buried in the mountains. A nice identity, IMO, although probably too many colors (I remember reading how basically every color in the world was listed as an official color for the Nuggets.)

I suppose the real rainbow part is in the sky, behind the mountain, and is too much. BUT - I think the mountain skyline with the bricks would be a great touch on a faux-back alternate. That would wind up being a more abstract version of the late 90's Jazz set, though...but I think a navy alt with mountain landscape with some sky blue and gold bricks would be a nice addition to the current 3rd; maybe just drop the current wordmark below the mountain. Anyone feel like doing a mockup?

Off topic, the Nuggets played in McNichols arena - why can't I ever recall anyone insultingly calling them the McNuggets?

South Korea's jerseys from circa 2002-2009 always seemed to be borderline pink (could be all semantics, but I consider salmon a subset of pink).

AHN_Jung_Hwan_20020610_GH_R.jpg

PARK_Yong_Ho_20040814_GH_R.jpg

PARK_Ji_Sung_20060618_GH_R.jpg

PARK_Ji_Sung_20091118_GH_L.jpg

If it means anything to anyone, I happen to own a pair of black & pink Jordans.. :P

...Back on topic, though. Wow, Penn State originally had black and pink as school colors? One could only wonder, with all the pride, history, and tradition that school/football program has, how it'd be in current day if they still had those colors.

(Quick--somebody do a concept!)

I just did

I'm not sure if this counts, but...

shaq_throwback_step.jpg

tumblr_lkm3bbHSJc1qzb63jo1_250.jpg

You should've clarified that those unis were worn by the Miami Floridians of the ABA, so technically speaking, they were not worn in the NBA, only as throwbacks.

http://www.remembertheaba.com/Floridians.html

Plus, as with the Southern California Sun, that was Magenta, not pink.

I'm not sure if this counts, but...

shaq_throwback_step.jpg

tumblr_lkm3bbHSJc1qzb63jo1_250.jpg

You should've clarified that those unis were worn by the Miami Floridians of the ABA, so technically speaking, they were not worn in the NBA, only as throwbacks.

http://www.remembert...Floridians.html

And technically, those colors included Magenta, not Pink.

Technically, you're both right :unsure:

That's funny. I heard worse about the Denver Nugget rainbow uniforms, basically called the Gay Pride jerseys. Mostly I heard people who were thankful the Spurs never incorporated any of those fiesta elements on their jerseys, and stuck to having them on their warmups.

I have to say, I agree with that assessment of the Denver Nuggets' jerseys, but not because they look like they're characteristically homosexual: They look like something a little kid would wear. A little little kid. The logo looks like a kid was trying to build the city of Denver out of those multicolored wooden blocks to show to mommy and daddy. In fact, the uniform itself is somewhat reminiscent of a onesie. To me, the unsuitability of that set has nothing to do with masculinity, per se, or perceptions of sexual orientation: It has to do with adult human beings not wanting to be dressed as children. Male or female, gay or straight: any adult, in my opinion, would (and should) be uncomfortable wearing something like this in public:

DCE751D359197DDF7830CC3CBBF95.jpg

(Though I will note that this may be based on US cultural stereotypes about the prototypical dress of children vs. adults.)

Couldn't disagree more, they were busy but blended into the background of the jersey, much less garish than, say, the Astros rainbows. While a little abstract, the multicolored blocks are a great depiction of bricks/nuggets of multicolored gold ore buried in the mountains. A nice identity, IMO, although probably too many colors (I remember reading how basically every color in the world was listed as an official color for the Nuggets.)

Here I have to disagree. While the Astros' uniforms were garish, I wouldn't call them rainbows. They basically had three colors: Orange, ochre and yellow. While they were layered in the same way, they at least served their identity. There's nothing wrong with a rainbow, per se, but it has little to do with Denver, and less to do with "Nuggets", and doesn't fit.

And, frankly, I don't buy the suggestion that the bricks building the city are meant to represent gold ore. I'd like to see a source on that. Not only are they not gold, but they just look like they're used to build a city set against a backdrop of the mountains.

I suppose the real rainbow part is in the sky, behind the mountain, and is too much. BUT - I think the mountain skyline with the bricks would be a great touch on a faux-back alternate. That would wind up being a more abstract version of the late 90's Jazz set, though...but I think a navy alt with mountain landscape with some sky blue and gold bricks would be a nice addition to the current 3rd; maybe just drop the current wordmark below the mountain. Anyone feel like doing a mockup?

I too would actually like to see this. Reduce the number of colors in the rainbow (the number of colors in the palette, in fact), and have the skyline fade into the main color of the uniform. I'd mock up a set, but I just don't have the skills that everyone else in this forum does. :( I'm always monstrously impressed by what people come up with.

Off topic, the Nuggets played in McNichols arena - why can't I ever recall anyone insultingly calling them the McNuggets?

>.< Why indeed! Darn it! We missed out on so many opportunities...

Distinction without a difference?

>.< Why indeed! Darn it! We missed out on so many opportunities...

I heard it all the time...

:therock:

Distinction without a difference?

I hear ya. They certainly COULD be considered the same color...I tend to think Purple when I hear Magenta, but it could be - in a lot of cases - be the same as Pink.

I've seen Magenta run the gamut of Purples, Reds, Pinks...here's Process Magenta (C:00, M:100, Y:00, K:00):

PLS_ProcessMagenta_C_SRGB.png

^ Could certainly be interpreted as Pink. I'll concede.

Well, time to add my two cents here...just suppose that a major pro sports team in the US of A did choose to use pink as a primary. Just suppose. What kind of logo are they gonna have? Flamingos? Slugs? Psychos? I'm sorry, the Florida Flamingos or San Antonio Slugs just don't strike fear in the heart of an opponent. The real struggle, I think, is what kind of mascot is gonna be fierce with pink? The closest you might come was that goofy Memphis Maniax alternate logo, recolored with pink. And that AIN'T up to NFL, or MLB standards. (As has been noted before, sometimes we wonder about the other leagues....)

So for me, it's less about the color pink and more about how you gonna do a logo with it? That looks fierce......

The Minnesota Lynx wore pink uniforms at home a few days ago against the Phoenix Mercury for a Breast Cancer Awareness thing.

The Minnesota Lynx wore pink uniforms at home a few days ago against the Phoenix Mercury for a Breast Cancer Awareness thing.

Not sure I would consider the Minnesota Lynx a "Major Team"

Well, the WNBA is considered to be a professional league.

That's probably as close as we're going to get to seeing an American professional team wear an all-pink uniform, so it's worth a mention in this thread.

That's probably as close as we're going to get to seeing an American professional team wear an all-pink uniform, so it's worth a mention in this thread.

You know, now that I think about it, I bet one of the major 4 leagues will eventually have a night where at least one team wears a pink jersey in honor of breast cancer awareness. I think the MLB is the most likely, I could see them at least making pink hats for one game. Both the NFL and MLB have been treading along these lines lately with their pink sweatbands and what not.

You know, now that I think about it, I bet one of the major 4 leagues will eventually have a night where at least one team wears a pink jersey in honor of breast cancer awareness. I think the MLB is the most likely, I could see them at least making pink hats for one game. Both the NFL and MLB have been treading along these lines lately with their pink sweatbands and what not.

It's certainly possible, but I think most NBA/MLB/NHL/NFL players/teams would consider pink trim to be their limit.

I doubt we will see a NFL/MLB/NHL/NBA player wear all-pink uniform (both shirt and pants) like the Lynx wore.

I think most NBA/MLB/NHL/NFL players/teams would consider pink trim to be their limit.

snort

The real struggle, I think, is what kind of mascot is gonna be fierce with pink?

"Fierce" isn't always the most important adjective when dealing with a sports logo. Besides, I can think of one:

florida-marlins-logo.png

This would have rocked with pink in place of the orange.