CFL- NFL Comparison

Chapeeko

Yes, both have their individual moments. I know it's tough for Americans to look at the CFL and understand what it's really all about. I just hate it when it's given nicknames, like the no talent league or the crappy football league.

It's entertaining ball and guys just trying to earn some money for playing the game they love. Be it here or down south.

Oh I LOVE the CFL, I don't think it's a "no talent league" by any means. These guys can really play. Luckily here in Utah, there's a channel that every now and then, for whatever reason, will televise CFL games. I think they're recordings and not live, but still. I make sure to catch one when I can, especially Riders games (I'm likely the only Riders fan in Utah :P)

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the Als chances against the Detroit Lions :P

Also, the only CFL team to beat a NFL/AFL team? The Hamilton Tiger-Cats. They defeated the Buffalo Bills 38-21 on 8 August 1961. Go Cats Go ;)

In all honestly, I've been watching the CFL since the early 2000's, and am pretty up to date with their history, but wouldn't you think that players like Anthony Calvillo, Jamel Richardson, Jeremaine Copeland, Fred Reid, Andy Fantuz, Henry Burris, Travis Lulay, and Geroy Simon, would honestly play fairly well in the NFL? I'm not saying the NFL should raid the CFL rosters, or that those players I mentioned are peerless. But I would imagine they would do well in the NFL where, let's be honest, it isn't a 32-deep quarterback or runningback league.

I don't even think A.C. has even ventured to try out in the NFL. Las Vegas, Hamilton and now ultimately in Montreal.

Well, I can tell you this, Anthony Calvillo would be a Hell of a lot better than anything the Arizona Cardinals could trot out behind center.

Indeed. I think the NFL doesn't raid the CFL because they don't have to. NCAA football provides a steady stream of NFL ready players. NFL teams just don't feel the need to look north when they feel they can get anyone they need out of the NCAA in a few years.

Indeed. I think the NFL doesn't raid the CFL because they don't have to. NCAA football provides a steady stream of NFL ready players. NFL teams just don't feel the need to look north when they feel they can get anyone they need out of the NCAA in a few years.

But why go through the frustration of a grooming process that you would have to deal with by working with a rookie. Anthony Calvillo is primed and ready to go. Let me learn your playbook, and maybe bring on Jamel Richardson, so he's got a familiar target out there. Plus, he'd be paired with Larry Fitzgerald and Steve Breaston, to form a lethal aerial attack.

By the way, didn't people used to think a quarterback, who used to play for the Cardinals, wouldn't be anything because he played Arena Football?

By the way, didn't people used to think a quarterback, who used to play for the Cardinals, wouldn't be anything because he played Arena Football?

Not if you're thinking of the stockboy.

The Packers were high on him before he went to the arena league, but thought he needed experience in the minors first.

I don't know if anybody saw where he would end up, but he was expected to go to the NFL after getting a little of the experience he would have gotten playing college ball.

The Packers were high on him before he went to the arena league, but thought he needed experience in the minors first. He was expected to go to the NFL after getting a little of the experience he would have gotten playing college ball.

Yeah, but he was never going to see the field in Green Bay with Brett Favre there, and if they were high on him, the rest of the league wasn't, which is exactly my point. The evaluation system is highly suspect in the NFL, when you have about five teams who would easily use someone like Anthony Calvillo.

The Packers were high on him before he went to the arena league, but thought he needed experience in the minors first. He was expected to go to the NFL after getting a little of the experience he would have gotten playing college ball.

Yeah, but he was never going to see the field in Green Bay with Brett Favre there, and if they were high on him, the rest of the league wasn't, which is exactly my point. The evaluation system is highly suspect in the NFL, when you have about five teams who would easily use someone like Anthony Calvillo.

I guarantee if Calvillo was lets say 27, 28 and he was putting up numbers like he is now, I am almost certain he would have pulled a Jeff Garcia and taken his talents South of the boarder.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Yeah, but he was never going to see the field in Green Bay with Brett Favre there, and if they were high on him, the rest of the league wasn't, which is exactly my point.

Sorry, I obviously didn't make my point very well - the NFL wasn't interested in Warner when he first came out because he didn't play enough college ball. They wanted him to season, which he did in the Arena league.

Playing in the AFL improved his prospects for the NFL. Time in the minors helped him tremendously, rather than hurting his chances, as you originally suggested.

You call it a no-mans land, I call it "quarterback college." Lots of good men learned the trade as his backup, not the least of whom is currently piloting the Green and Gold. :D

RayAction07Web.JPG

Ricky Ray never played behind Favre. :P

Well Chad Pennington is no Brett Favre that is for sure.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Completely off topic, but the Als should wear those white helmets full time. They're beautiful.

1_80867.jpg>calvillo392-cp.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

You call it a no-mans land, I call it "quarterback college." Lots of good men learned the trade as his backup, not the least of whom is currently piloting the Green and Gold. :D

RayAction07Web.JPG

Ricky Ray never played behind Favre. :P

Well Chad Pennington is no Brett Favre that is for sure.

The sad thing is, he's won more than Favre has, two championships, to Brett Favre's one championship.

Also, Gothamite, I'm not saying that Arena Football hurt his chances, but it didn't help them either. It only improved his skill, and had Trent Green never gone down on Rodney Harrison's hit, you might never know what could've happened to Kurt Warner. Maybe he ends up being a career-backup at best.

I got introduced to the CFL in the mid-1970's courtesy of a guy who owned a fishing lodge my parents went to every year in Quebec. He took me to an Als-Rough Riders (Ottawa variety) game, and from that point on, I was hooked. Today it's the only league sport I can watch on TV anymore without falling asleep.

nav-logo.png

Also, Gothamite, I'm not saying that Arena Football hurt his chances, but it didn't help them either. It only improved his skill, and had Trent Green never gone down on Rodney Harrison's hit, you might never know what could've happened to Kurt Warner. Maybe he ends up being a career-backup at best.

Sure, there are a ton of what-ifs. Every franchise in every sport has them. What if Wally Pipp hadn't had a headache on the worst possible day?

But you said:

Sure seemed to me as though you were saying playing Arena Football counted against Warner in the eyes of many. If I misunderstood, I apologize.

Archived