Padres Uniforms - Nick Canepa column (San Diego Union Tribune)

larrypep

San Diego Union Tribune sports columnist Nick Canepa wrote a column today complaining of the Padres current uniform set. He is basically lobbying for the old 1936 PCL uniform in it's entirety - I'm assuming with the plain black cap as well. While I like the stylized font of the that set, that cap is unacceptable IMO.

He also mentions a grass-roots effort to bring back the brown, and yes there is something here in San Diego called "Bring Back the Brown". This is a group of fans dedicated to bringing the color brown back as the Padres main color. Their charter - never wear anything blue when associated with the Padres. Kind of cool and funny at the same time.

Nick Canepa column

Bring Back the Brown

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not seeing anything special about the 1936 uniform. huh.gif

From what I saw in the photos taken from the TBTC game earlier in June, they were very plain (save the navy & white for the Tigers and Yankees), and the red band on the socks was completely out of place, given that it was the only place it appeared on the uniform. Of course the pajamas of today would cover the socks of most players, but still...

Bring back the brown. MLB needs much less navy, especially if it's the only color.

I just don't like "SAN DIEGO" written across the front of a jersey. There's nothing wrong with it, it just doesn't look as good as single-word city names though. I'd much prefer an interlocking SD on the chest, like what they had in the end of the brown and orange years, but minus the pinstripes. Maybe the SD that Goth posted would look OK too, though the one with the higher D is more suitable for jersey use.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

San Diego Union Tribune sports columnist Nick Canepa wrote a column today complaining of the Padres current uniform set. He is basically lobbying for the old 1936 PCL uniform in it's entirety - I'm assuming with the plain black cap as well. While I like the stylized font of the that set, that cap is unacceptable IMO.

He also mentions a grass-roots effort to bring back the brown, and yes there is something here in San Diego called "Bring Back the Brown". This is a group of fans dedicated to bringing the color brown back as the Padres main color. Their charter - never wear anything blue when associated with the Padres. Kind of cool and funny at the same time.

Nick Canepa column

Bring Back the Brown

I agree with Canepa. If the Padres feel the need to change their uniforms (again, though I wish they weren't as they've changed to much as it is and their current uniforms look sharp), then the 1936 uniform would be the way to go. And I'm pleased to hear the guy from the FO mention that they're leaning toward taking cues from the 1936 original Padres uniform. I assume one of the changes they'd make would be to do away with the plain cap however and would incorporate the current "SD" into it since that's just recently become the team's primary logo. The "SAN DIEGO" written across the front does look sharp (far better than an "SD"), particularly for an away jersey but I would like to see "PADRES" on the home duds.

As for the brown, leave it consigned to the fashion graveyard that is the 1970's where it belongs. And Bring Back The Brown in particular is just fashion backward as their favorite appears to be the brown and orange of the late 80's. Those uniforms were hideous, they were nothing but a cross of the hated Yankees and hated Giants.

Well the Padres have a lot of big changes on deck for 2012, so I am sure they will look better than they do in 2012 than they do now.

Logos and uniforms are both being "changed".

Not sure on the logo being changed since they just changed it this year. But it does seem clear the 2012 Padres will be wearing different uniforms. Hopefully modeled on the 1936 style uniforms with modern updates for actual fit and pant style. And of course a logo on the cap (a plain cap wouldn't be allowed by MLB or NewEra these days I suspect).

As for the brown, leave it consigned to the fashion graveyard that is the 1970's where it belongs. And Bring Back The Brown in particular is just fashion backward as their favorite appears to be the brown and orange of the late 80's. Those uniforms were hideous, they were nothing but a cross of the hated Yankees and hated Giants.

Well it's all subjective. To me the late 80s era is hands down the best the Padres have ever looked. Their changes since then have always been steps toward the boring and brown and yellow is what screams "70s" to me. I loved the road uniform (despite the pinstripes) because I thought the brown and orange really worked great on a gray jersey.

Brown itself is rarely used and I don't think there is anything wrong with brown. It's working just fine with the Cleveland Browns.

The most important thing for the Padres to do with their identity is pick one and stick with it. They need a color scheme that they'll want to keep around essentially forever so they can stop being the Canucks. I feel like Brown/yellow may get old and everyone will remember that they liked these uniforms as a novelty, but not because they were great, whereas brown and orange may have some staying power. But that's probably just my bias.

• Certainty: There will be an interlocking "SD" on the hat.
  • Probability: They will go brown and yellow.
  • Possibility: They will be inspired by the 70s with pullovers, yellow uniforms with brown sleeves, etc.
  • Possibility: They will dump brown 5 to 10 years later and start the whole "rotating identity" cycle over.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I think brown and gold are a beautiful color combination that has the added bonus of being unique in major league sports. I'm not as big a fan of brown and orange, largely because I don't think there's enough contrast.

Blown and gold also look great with sand-colored road uniforms. I drag this picture out every time we talk about it, but what the heck:

45256_01_lg.jpg

Well it's all subjective. To me the late 80s era is hands down the best the Padres have ever looked. Their changes since then have always been steps toward the boring and brown and yellow is what screams "70s" to me. I loved the road uniform (despite the pinstripes) because I thought the brown and orange really worked great on a gray jersey.

Brown itself is rarely used and I don't think there is anything wrong with brown. It's working just fine with the Cleveland Browns.

The most important thing for the Padres to do with their identity is pick one and stick with it. They need a color scheme that they'll want to keep around essentially forever so they can stop being the Canucks. I feel like Brown/yellow may get old and everyone will remember that they liked these uniforms as a novelty, but not because they were great, whereas brown and orange may have some staying power. But that's probably just my bias.

• Certainty: There will be an interlocking "SD" on the hat.
  • Probability: They will go brown and yellow.
  • Possibility: They will be inspired by the 70s with pullovers, yellow uniforms with brown sleeves, etc.
  • Possibility: They will dump brown 5 to 10 years later and start the whole "rotating identity" cycle over.

Well at least we can agree on that. They need to pick something and stick with it for good. And I agree, there's no question an interlocking SD will be on the caps. And based on things Moorad has said there might be brown in it, though it seems just as likely they might go with the older PCL color scheme (based on Garfunkel's comments), or keep the current color scheme (based on what they did with their AAA team). However I'm betting they won't go with any particular style from the 70's as they realize they're a niche nostalgia thing, not a long term uniform choice (again I point to Tuscon which takes cues from older Padres uniforms but is distinctly a modern classy looking design). Regardless of what they do unless it's throwback 70's uniforms I do hope they avoid your fourth point. Enough with the rotating uniforms. Pick something you'd want to keep forever ala the Yankees. Not something that needs to be replaced in 5 years because you realized you made a mistake.

Not sure on the logo being changed since they just changed it this year. But it does seem clear the 2012 Padres will be wearing different uniforms. Hopefully modeled on the 1936 style uniforms with modern updates for actual fit and pant style. And of course a logo on the cap (a plain cap wouldn't be allowed by MLB or NewEra these days I suspect).

They are changing both the primary and secondary.

Just give me the brown and gold. The finer details don't bother me as much as I just want the Padres to go back to being the Padres. I feel like their navy years, while sometimes very successful, just get lost visually due to the over-navyization of MLB.

They are changing both the primary and secondary.

Interlocking SD, or Swingin' Friar?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Better not be the Friar, or more than a minor tweak to him. He's the only constant in the club's consistently inconsistent æsthetic history.

Ideally, they'd make his robe brown again, put him on the sleeve of the home and roads, and revert to brown and gold.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Better not be the Friar, or more than a minor tweak to him. He's the only constant in the club's consistently inconsistent æsthetic history.

Ideally, they'd make his robe brown again, put him on the sleeve of the home and roads, and revert to brown and gold.

Yes, but just like the Sabres, Bills, Reds, Chargers, 76ers, Rockets and Florida Panthers, where going back to a previous uniform with minimal tweaks if any would have been the perfect result, the Padres (and also Blue Jays) will find ways to :censored: it up royally. I am envisioning brown unis with yellow and light blue outlines with an orange drop shadow. Oh, and navy added sporatically just so they can sell navy merchandise.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived