best color combos in sports

16kid

Orange is my favorite color, so naturally I'm inclined to favor anything that includes it. My seconf favorite color? Red. Imagine the odds. :P

Anyway, I'l run down some of my more favorite combos (besides orange and red, of course):

- Black and yellow. No this has nothing to do with Wiz Khalifa...I've always liked that combo since I was little. Probably has to do with yellow being another historically favorite color of mine. This might be why I think the Pittsburgh Pirates have some of the best-looking uniforms in MLB. (Well, when they had the vested options, anyway. But even their currents still look good.)

- Red and green. This is a criminally underused color scheme--which is a shame, because they're also complimentary colors. That said, I suppose it also has to do with the specific shades of each color. See Wild, Minnesota for a great example of how good those colors can look together. (And since I'm on this topic, I'm also of the belief that teal and red would also look good together if some team ever tried it. The Grizzlies did once, and I loved it. If the Jaguars do move to L.A., they should do a similar scheme. Gives off a nice Aztec-ish vibe.)

- Purple and silver. You can blame Kansas State on this one...but I've always loved the way those two colors looked next to each other.

- Red and gold/red and gray. I'm saying red to be general...but aside from maroon (a similar color) and gold having been my high school colors, they're also the colors of my Florida State Seminoles (garnet and gold). But I also like that color scheme for Boston College, as well. As for red and gray, did someone say Buccaneers? I'm no Buckeye fanatic, but I've always liked Ohio State's uniforms because of the colors.

- Green and gold. My mother's favorite color was forest green, so I've always liked the color. Like illwauk and a few other Packers fans, I've long wanted to see the Packers pull off a dark green and (vegas) gold scheme. Baylor University's football and women's basketball teams pull this combo off very well.

- Green and blue. When done right, this is possibly the single most striking color combo I can think of. Think Vancouver Canucks on this one. I also liked it for the Seattle Seahawks--still do, as a matter of fact. I really wish the (Devil) Rays never went away from it.

And now for the underrated MVP combo...columbia and gold. Think UCLA for this one...some of my favorite college football unis (they'd look even better if they went back to the old-style numbers, though). I've often wondered how the Denver Nuggets would look in this scheme--the gold would make a helluva lot more sense than that yellow they use...and still have some tie-in to the team nickname in the first place.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tulane's combo of dark green and light blue is my absolute favorite color combination. I really wish the Rays would go this route.

I was thinking the same thing, right down to the Rays using it. It's a beautiful combo that's terribly underused.

I also really like the green and black of North Dakota.

spacer.png

This may be a little biased but I have to go with red and yellow/gold. That is also my high schools colors and my two favorite colors.

Other combos I like are Red/Navy, Green/Yellow and Royal/Sky blue.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

1. Black and Orange

2. Black and Teal

3. Black and Purple

4. Light Blue and Navy

5. Brown and Orange

Honorable mention: Black and Old Gold (that scheme has really grown on me)

My favorite combos are probably in the minority but I like seldom used colors. I hate how frequently red, white, and blue are used. It's almost like its RWBFRWBS (red, white, and blue for red, white, and blue sake!)

Tulane's combo of dark green and light blue is my absolute favorite color combination. I really wish the Rays would go this route.

How foolish of me to forget my beloved Tulane Green Wave's uniquely beautiful color combo. Shame on me.

d3093d16-94e2-4816-94a5-4046f1aeaa05.jpg

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Orange is my favorite color, so naturally I'm inclined to favor anything that includes it. My seconf favorite color? Red. Imagine the odds. :P

- Red and gold/red and gray. I'm saying red to be general...but aside from maroon (a similar color) and gold having been my high school colors, they're also the colors of my Florida State Seminoles (garnet and gold). But I also like that color scheme for Boston College, as well. As for red and gray, did someone say Buccaneers? I'm no Buckeye fanatic, but I've always liked Ohio State's uniforms because of the colors.

And now for the underrated MVP combo...columbia and gold. Think UCLA for this one...some of my favorite college football unis (they'd look even better if they went back to the old-style numbers, though). I've often wondered how the Denver Nuggets would look in this scheme--the gold would make a helluva lot more sense than that yellow they use...and still have some tie-in to the team nickname in the first place.

Those are the two best, but I would say that Columbia/Gold is the better one of the two.

I think a better question to ask would be, "what color combos could not possibly be considered as the best in sports."

Brown and Yellow... piss and poop, Taco and Cheese, Cheeseburger, etc...

Also never been too fond of neon colors like the UFL was using in their first year or the Seattle sounders use. Neon green is not a uniform color, it belongs on traffic cops vests.

Believe it or not, I've long thought that the Red Sox would look good in red and green. Green makes more sense for them than navy as a secondary color - Boston's Irish heritage, the St. Patrick's Day uniforms, all the green gear that fans wear around Fenway Park, and of course, the Green Monster. It works.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Believe it or not, I've long thought that the Red Sox would look good in red and green. Green makes more sense for them than navy as a secondary color - Boston's Irish heritage, the St. Patrick's Day uniforms, all the green gear that fans wear around Fenway Park, and of course, the Green Monster. It works.

However if they ever did it the riot in Boston would make Vancouver look like they were at the kid's table.

I think a better question to ask would be, "what color combos could not possibly be considered as the best in sports."

Brown and Yellow... piss and poop, Taco and Cheese, Cheeseburger, etc...

Also never been too fond of neon colors like the UFL was using in their first year or the Seattle sounders use. Neon green is not a uniform color, it belongs on traffic cops vests.

Red and Green... period blood and fungus

Come on now.

There's been a couple people on here that said brown and gold were their favorite. I think it can work well. Look at Wyoming.

Archived