best color combos in sports

16kid

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You knew it was coming, Buc...yeah, the Saints' original Black, Old Gold, and White. That shade of gold just really makes a nice complement to the black and white on both sets, but especially these.

t874519-500.jpg

One of NFL Films' Lost Treasures series shows the Saints coming out of the tunnel for their first preseason game ever (@ L.A. Rams in '67) and they're in these unis. They just look amazing.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Teal and Purple

11824563.jpg

YES.

Alexander Julian knew what he was doing when he came up with this.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

How could I forget about teal? I have no problem with it, and it stands out. Some teal-based color schemes I missed the first go-around (in the not used enough category):

--Teal and Orange. Outside of the San Jose Sharks, I can't think of any team that uses some variation of teal along with orange* and black. I also consider the Miami Dolphins' aqua as a teal variant. Miami Dolphins, San Jose Sharks.*

--Teal and Gold^. California Golden Seals, San Jose Sharks, Jacksonville Jaguars.

--Teal and Black. This is the basic teal color combo, though adding colors like gold,^ silver, or red can improve it. Jacksonville Jaguars^, Vancouver/Memphis Grizzlies (pre-dual-blue look), San Jose Sharks.

*I don't consider the San Jose Sharks' "orange" color orange, but rather a dark Athletic Gold (at least that's how it comes across to me). I'm also in the minority in that I like it as an homage of sorts to the California Golden Seals.

^Either Metallic or Athletic Gold. Aside from the Dolphins, there's a bit of overlapping in all 3 combos, but I like all these color schemes.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

You knew it was coming, Buc...yeah, the Saints' original Black, Old Gold, and White. That shade of gold just really makes a nice complement to the black and white on both sets, but especially these.

t874519-500.jpg

One of NFL Films' Lost Treasures series shows the Saints coming out of the tunnel for their first preseason game ever (@ L.A. Rams in '67) and they're in these unis. They just look amazing.

I'm sorry, but even for the 1960s, those are really bland. Nothing wrong, nothing good. I wouldn't call them amazing.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

t874519-500.jpg

I'm sorry, but even for the 1960s, those are really bland. Nothing wrong, nothing good. I wouldn't call them amazing.

I always liked that look. Perhaps it's the picture that BlueSky used, but I don't remember the Saints ever having that bright/yellow of a gold in their original uniforms.

t874519-500.jpg

Well, you'd be wrong again.

Teal should be the color of a bridesmaid's dress, not a color of a sports team. Aqua, on the other hand, is OK.

So...let's look at this group of pro teams:

• Arizona Diamondbacks (Major League Baseball) - 1998 through 2006: Arizona Turquoise
  • Arizona Rattlers (Arena Football League) - 2008 through present: Aqua
  • Bridgeport Bluefish (Atlantic League of Professional Baseball) - 1998 through present: Sea Green
  • El Paso Diablos (Texas League) - 1999 through 2004: Turquoise
  • Miami Dolphins (National Football League) - 1990 through present: Aqua
  • San Antonio Texans (Canadian Football League) - 1995: Teal
  • Sioux Falls Skyforce (Continental Basketball Association) - 1993-1994 through 2000-2001: Teal

These teams all use the same exact Pantone color, but call it different things.

*I don't consider the San Jose Sharks' "orange" color orange, but rather a dark Athletic Gold (at least that's how it comes across to me). I'm also in the minority in that I like it as an homage of sorts to the California Golden Seals.

Really?

SanJoseSharksOrange_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

Looks pretty Orange (even Burnt Orange) to me.

t874519-500.jpg

I always liked that look. Perhaps it's the picture that BlueSky used, but I don't remember the Saints ever having that bright/yellow of a gold in their original uniforms.

The photographer may have used fill flash, which could make the colors look brighter. Here are a few more from back then, screenshots from the show I mentioned before (colors are muted compared to daytime) and another pub shot of Kilmer that shows the colors more accurately. Also a couple of the white set.

And thanks, Oldschoolvikings, couldn't agree more! B)

Fears_1967.jpg

Saints_1967.jpg

1969_Saints_Kilmer.jpg

Auto120.jpg

Atkins_1967.jpg

Abramowicz_1969.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Archived