AL and NL All-Star Game Rosters

Dexter Morgan

Jose Reyes can make Chipper Jones and Ryan Howard cry....just kidding. But seriously he should be the MVP if he keeps this up and does not get traded. Can someone tell me how Yadier Molina got in and not Andrew McCutchen?? So what if Molina is a better defensive player McCutchen is one of the best 5 tool players in the NL.

anim_040d06ba-0611-bac4-cd7b-50fc54ad382 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jose Reyes can make Chipper Jones and Ryan Howard cry....just kidding. But seriously he should be the MVP if he keeps this up and does not get traded. Can someone tell me how Yadier Molina got in and not Andrew McCutchen?? So what if Molina is a better defensive player McCutchen is one of the best 5 tool players in the NL.

He's a catcher, and you need more than 1 on the roster. That also explains Russel Martin's selection. But you are right Andrew McCutchen not being on the roster is ridiculous.

Andrew McCutcheon is incredible. He has to be one of the most underrated athletes in sports. I can't believe he didnt make it as a regular selection, let alone the sympathy selection that every team gets

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

CC Sabathia. 12-4, 2.90 ERA, 1.20 WHIP, 117 K's

...and not an All-Star

Life is tough when you're a Yankees fan eh?

Just deal with it. Every year there are going to be players having a good season who will not make it to the All-Star game. It's happened in the past, it will happen again.

1zqy8ok.gif

He's a catcher, and you need more than 1 on the roster. That also explains Russel Martin's selection. But you are right Andrew McCutchen not being on the roster is ridiculous.

Andrew McCutchen will get plenty of opportunities, as will other Pirate players in the years to come, to be an All-Star. It's not the greatest injustice ever, but because his name being absent is getting so much attention this year, if he plays at the same level or slightly above that, he'll be a lock for next year.

I remember when the all-star game meant something. It was back when the game didn't mean anything.

Back in the day you watched the all-star game because it was pretty much your only chance to see the stars of the league your local team wasn't in. (In my case it was the NL.) I heard or read about guys like Clemente, Bench, McCovey, etc. and the all-star game was my one chance to see a lot of those guys play. With the advent of cable, "superstations", MLB Extra Innings, MLB TV, interleague play, and of course ESPN, I can now watch anyone I want to see whenever I want to see them.

My point is that today I'd much rather see the stars play a full game with their teams than watch them play two innings of a meaningless exhibition game. The all-star game has simply outlived it's usefulness.

BB52Big.jpg

Yea I long for the day when the All-Star Game means nothing again! :)

Sportsfan0518, you are right, Jose Reyes is the MVP of the league right now. Unless the Mets are playing Atlanta, I hope he continues this great season and is rewarded with his contract and the hardware. He can also pick 'em over there at shortstop too.

Andrew McCutchen is a fantastic player and you gotta think if their closer wasn't having such a good season, that he would be the one representing the Pirates.

Every year people come out complaining about the All-Star Game. Blah blah, snub this, blah blah, it shouldn't count that.

I don't care, I love the game. I watch it every year and have since I was a little kid. I like seeing my Blue Jays rep(s) getting a little national TV time. It's the best All-Star game of the 4 sports by a longshot.

If you think it's such a broken concept, don't watch. Simple as that.

Every year people come out complaining about the All-Star Game. Blah blah, snub this, blah blah, it shouldn't count that.

I don't care, I love the game. I watch it every year and have since I was a little kid. I like seeing my Blue Jays rep(s) getting a little national TV time. It's the best All-Star game of the 4 sports by a longshot.

If you think it's such a broken concept, don't watch. Simple as that.

In my particular case, I was not "complaining." I was simply making an observation.

On point... It's definitely the best of the four; no argument there. And it's not a "broken concept." It just does not have anything near the luster it used to have. Sorry if that bothers you.

BB52Big.jpg

I think the NBA All-Star Weekend is the best out of all the leagues. The pre-game events are exciting, especially the dunk contest. And even the game is fun to watch, even though very little defense is being played. The whole weekend is not just an All-Star game, it's an event for basketball fans. The other leagues could learn something from how the NBA handles their All-Star festivities. Bonus: the game itself determines nothing but conference bragging rights.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

In my particular case, I was not "complaining." I was simply making an observation.

Wasn't singling you out by any means. It's a pretty large group (both on these boards and in the baseball media) that comes out every year around this time.

Jair Jurrjens needs to be given a hard look as the All-Star starter for the N.L. The Braves will face Roy Halladay on Friday. If they can have a good showing against him (They have not done well against him so far) Then that may seal the deal for JJ.

I think the NBA All-Star Weekend is the best out of all the leagues. The pre-game events are exciting, especially the dunk contest. And even the game is fun to watch, even though very little defense is being played. The whole weekend is not just an All-Star game, it's an event for basketball fans. The other leagues could learn something from how the NBA handles their All-Star festivities. Bonus: the game itself determines nothing but conference bragging rights.

Agreed, the all-star saturday night is entertaining every year. The problem is that baseball doesn't lend itself to those kind of contests like basketball does. The only one they could do is the Home Run Derby, which, to be honest, sucks. But yeah, I love NBA All-Star weekend

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Agreed, the all-star saturday night is entertaining every year. The problem is that baseball doesn't lend itself to those kind of contests like basketball does. The only one they could do is the Home Run Derby, which, to be honest, sucks. But yeah, I love NBA All-Star weekend

Shorten the Home Run Derby to maybe 5 outs per round. Add An accuracy game for the Batters, which would consists of targets all over the field, each worth different amount of points. This will Show Off the players that don't hit bombs, but hit for average. Maybe an Accuracy challenge for the Pitchers as well. Designated Targets at home plate. And how bout a speed competition for baserunners. Fastest around the bases. And All participate! I know those last 2 ideas are kind of stolen a little bit from the NHL.

And to make it more interesting, The winning league gets to choose whether or not they want to be home or away, and also gets to choose which leagues rules they play by. Or the winning league has to choose one option Home/away or DH/No DH, and whichever they don't pick, the other league gets to choose!

I love how a possible AL Cy Young candidate is not in the All-Star Game because he pitches on Sunday. Pitchers in the ASG don't pitch more than three innings anyway. It's not like he's going to get seriously injured pitching an inning and a half.

MK8_Iggy.pngMK8_Lemmy.pngMK8_Ludwig.pngMK8_Morton.png

It's not like he's going to get seriously injured pitching an inning and a half.

Considering it only takes one pitch to get seriously injured, i'd say it's possible.

Yeah...I sorta boxed myself in there. But he won't be pitching that long if he was in the ASG, and he doesn't have another start until the 18th.

MK8_Iggy.pngMK8_Lemmy.pngMK8_Ludwig.pngMK8_Morton.png

I have a question concerning the alternates and what you guys, being the sports-savvy community, would say about this. Justin Masterson is 7-6 with a 2.66 ERA, 121.2 IP, and 86 Ks. During an 11 start span, he was only given 8 runs of support. Should he be an alternate for the AL squad?

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Archived