brandIDENTITY: Redskins Refresh

tBBP

What can I say--I never did lose the bug for doing this. ^_^

Well, thanks to a super-long detention delay at one of my consignees (receivers) several days ago, I actually had some time to pop open my computer and bang out some artwork while on the road. For whatever reason, I'd been thinking about the Redskins set I developed during my NFL NPC Series during that time, and this concept set is pretty much an offshoot of that. I developed a sorta-different primary logo with a "W" in place of the Native American head, with the thought in mind that if the 'Skins ever were to consider an identity revamp, they'd probably go that route in order to circumvent all the PC mumbo-jumbo...except that PC mumbo-jumbo also made it into that series thread, as well--and in good measure. (While I'm on that topic...can we PLEASE keep it out of this one? I'd really rather this thread not get cluttered up with that discussion...thanks in advance.)

In any event, since that didn't seem to be too popular a move, I went ahead and freshened up the current primary logo a little bit, and also came up with a re-versioned spear logo for use on the helmets (since those were my favorite Redskins helmets). I also concocted a new script for them, as well, based off the same script/number set I used for that NPC concept, only edited a slight bit. As far as the uniforms go, I wanted to keep the same overall image the 'Skins currently have, same as in that NPC set, but also simplify it down a bit. As a result, the sleeve stripes are gone from this latest iteration (since there's really not much real estate for those on today's jerseys, anyway)...but I did carry the stripe pattern to the collar and cuffs. Also, even though I really don't like how it looks, with the spear being on the helmets, I went ahead and put the primary logo of the front chest of the jerseys (since, knowing NFL Properties, they'd probably want some kind of mark on those jerseys somewhere). I was going to put it on the pants, but I felt that'd be too much clutter. Speaking of the pants, there's a gold/mustard (whatever you wanna call it) and burgundy option.

Anyways, not much else to speak on here, so here's my little three-hour concept set for a Redskins refresh...

WSHredskins_stylebook1.png

WSHredskins_stylebook2.png

WSHredskins_stylebook3.png

Have at it... ~Buc

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

While I really like the spear returning to the helmet, the color set feels dull (although that might just be my monitor). A brighter yellow will really help it pop against the burgundy. By contrast, maybe going to the dark maroon they used in their throwback might provide a little more contrast.

Another thing is I'd say go with the patch or the wordmark, but both makes it look cluttered. Maybe move one to above the nameplate or the back collar?

I'm almost not HUGE on the number font. In the initial, I really liked the serifs in the 2 and 3, but looking at the 8s and 9s on the reciever template it just kind of looks awkward.

i like your W logo much more than your/their primary. and thats nothing to do with the PC thing, i just think their primary is really poorly drawn. i dont like the floating head or color choices in it either, and though you've adressed this somewhat by cleaning up the feathers, its still a pretty bad logo.

usually i have no problem with a pro team resembling a college team. its 2 different markets. but the Redskins and Florida State bother me, and i cant really explain why. maybe because im a Florida dude, or maybe its because its the helmet which is so important to a team (Iowa and Steelers helmets are 2 completely different designs) but i see a spear on a helmet and im instantly reminded of FSU all the way. i just think that W logo you have would be better for every reason

i see stripes and strokes on everything but the numbers. they at least need an outline to have better unity with the rest of the elements

great job on the helmet and jersey templates too

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

@bruschi...good point about the patch vs. wordmark on the jerseys. Didn't even think about that.

To the point about the helmets...being the Seminole fanatic I am (what up, Jay?), yeah it's almost akin to heresy for me to transpose FSU's helmet onto another team. That said, the 'Skins did have it first, so I gotta respect that. I thought about trying the feather thing they once had, too...but it just seemed like too much to try to do at the time. The next iteration, whenever I get around to it, may include the "W" on the helmets...if I can get past the spear thing.

Oh and um, Mr. Moore...at what point did you become a "Florida dude"? Weren't you born in the corn, my friend? ^_^

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

FINALLY a Redskins concept I can get behind! (But not without some improvements)

PROS:

-Simplified/"logoized" Primary logo.

-Spear returns!

-Understanding that their current home/away sets (color wise) work fine.

-Collar wins my consistency test. At least 3, if not 4 places where the striping is present.

-The W logo is beautiful. Absolutely wonderful.

-Great unity between the numbers and script.

CONS/IMPROVEMENTS:

-Colors really seem off. The burgundy seems a little to purplish (maroon or burgundy, I don't care, but the plum thing is confusing). The yellow is awful. Everywhere except the pants in the stationary design. Bright athletic gold works so much better with the Skins red. Use that.

-Numbers: The font's alright I guess, but one color? Really? Add a number stroke.

-While I do like the look of numbers being on the sleeves, the primary on chest idea doesn't really translate well. I'd put the numbers on the shoulders, and the primary on the sleeves (or maybe above the NOB).

-The best arrow update I've seen was by CS85. The arrow angle and length as it is now seems very awkward when not on the helmet. I thought he did a great job at fixing that.

- Stripes on the home socks?

A really promising set. Honestly, if you made the changes I suggested, in my opinion it would be a concept worthy of submission. It solves our logo problems, keeps tradition in tact, and brings out the best of Redskins past. Bravo, Buc!

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

I like it a lot, but a few things:

- Lose the logo patch on the jersey, and maybe put the circle-W on the front right hip. Actually, you may as well just nix the current primary altogether.

- That 3 really bothers me. If you made the top of it more like the top of the 2, then that number set would be perfect.

- Keep the spear helmet (I really like how you updated the feather), but lose the white outline around it. Everything else on the uniform has just two strokes, but with the extra outline it turns into six for the logo.

EDIT: Also, the Nike logo would likely go on the sleeves.

spacer.png

I like the updated logos, great refresh. The only thing I'm not liking is the wordmark, the slanted serifs just seem awkward. It also doesn't complement the logo all that well. I think there's a better solution. The uniforms are great, and the numbers also look good.

I really like this concept, but the slanted serifs, as mentioned before, don't work with the wordmark or the W-logo, and they seem to go against what you decided on doing for the number font. Furthermore, I like most of the numbers, but the bottom of the 9 needs to be like the top of the 6. Finally, I love the W-logo, but unfortunately I don't see it at all on the uniforms, and personally think it should replace the indian-head patch you gave to the jersey.

@bruschi...good point about the patch vs. wordmark on the jerseys. Didn't even think about that.

To the point about the helmets...being the Seminole fanatic I am (what up, Jay?), yeah it's almost akin to heresy for me to transpose FSU's helmet onto another team. That said, the 'Skins did have it first, so I gotta respect that. I thought about trying the feather thing they once had, too...but it just seemed like too much to try to do at the time. The next iteration, whenever I get around to it, may include the "W" on the helmets...if I can get past the spear thing.

Oh and um, Mr. Moore...at what point did you become a "Florida dude"? Weren't you born in the corn, my friend? ^_^

born in the corn, but my seats on the beach! lol

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Love the logos. especially the spear and the head logo. However, the colors are really off. especially the yellow. I'd go with the current, brighter colors. On the jersey, I love the cuffs/collar consistency, but why do the home socks not have stripes? Every other piece of the design has stripes except the home socks. The numbers are unique and not forced, so good job, but they need to be outlined in yellow. I'd move the TV numbers to the shoulders and add the head logo to the sleeves. I'd also add the W logo to the front of the pants. Any chance we get to see some white pants? I like the yellow pants, but the white pants also look very good with both the home and the road.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Love the logos. especially the spear and the head logo. However, the colors are really off. especially the yellow. I'd go with the current, brighter colors. On the jersey, I love the cuffs/collar consistency, but why do the home socks not have stripes? Every other piece of the design has stripes except the home socks. The numbers are unique and not forced, so good job, but they need to be outlined in yellow. I'd move the TV numbers to the shoulders and add the head logo to the sleeves. I'd also add the W logo to the front of the pants. Any chance we get to see some white pants? I like the yellow pants, but the white pants also look very good with both the home and the road.

The Skins would be best if they removed white pants completely. Three pants is way too much. This way, they have a mix and match of four (but only three real) possibilities.

potd 10/20/12

The Skins would be best if they removed white pants completely. Three pants is way too much. This way, they have a mix and match of four (but only three real) possibilities.

I agree with this, and sadly I think the gold pants should go. Sure some people remember it fondly from the George Allen era, and think of the Over The Hill Gang. However, when I think of the Redskins from their championship years, it's always of them rocking the white and burgundy pants.

I agree with this, and sadly I think the gold pants should go. Sure some people remember it fondly from the George Allen era, and think of the Over The Hill Gang. However, when I think of the Redskins from their championship years, it's always of them rocking the white and burgundy pants.

Exactly, and that's why Buc, and most others, have kept the burgundy pants as the PRIMARY away uniform. So you'd wear Burgundy/Gold at home, White/Burgundy 6-7 away games, and White/Gold 1-2 away games.

potd 10/20/12

Buc, this is nice. I like that you've customized the jersey cut. That new helmet template is sweet too - where did you get that? The logo system is very nice, well done. I feel like the type is a bit lacking, and I'd like to see you push it a bit more, maybe customize City even further than you've already done

OD_Signature.jpg

^ Preciate that, gordie! To answer your question about the helmets, I came up with those a long time ago and just never used them until now. As far as the jerseys, that was the result of tinkering with andrewharrington's already great templates. Whenever/if I do get a chance, I think I will fool around with the type a good bit more, as well as try to work in some people's suggestions.

Since it came up, I myself am really not a fan of white pants for this team, and left to me, it'd be gold at home, burgundy away with the option of gold from time to time, as DeFrank noted above. (By the way, I never did see any e-mail from you, but it may also just be that box acting up on me.)

Thanks again to all who've chimed in thus far.

I think it's a solid concept. I love the numbers and as a fellow FSU fan I like any helmet with a spear in it! ;)

As a FSU fan, I agree. I like the colors. Looks good on a jersey, It looks good on a jacket. At these times, you got to go for that.

Yea I couldn't find your email in my sent messages, but I basically asked if you could follow up on your personal logo suggestions. I wrote a pretty hefty first post here, do you think you'll be doing an update? With some tweaks, I believe this is the simplest and best Redskins updatr I've seen on the boards.

Also love your presentation templates.

potd 10/20/12

You know, I'm not really a fan of the Redskins' use of only two stripes for their pants, but it works here because it ties in with the lighting on the spear head.

My only (minor) issues with this set: I think it would look better with gold number outlines. And the stripes would look better on the gold pants if the burgundy stripe were in front (as a rule, if a team has two stripes, I prefer for the darker stripe to be in front.) Similarly, I'd rather see the collar trim on the burgundy jerseys switched.

Archived