Patriotic Hats in MLB

larrypep

Not much to say here other than I've always thought they looked bad with the mismatched uniforms, but this year with the white field in front they look even worse. Why doesn't MLB just change the logos to have the flag design within the logos (like they do now) but just keep the team's standard color cap?

Why doesn't MLB just change the logos to have the flag design within the logos (like they do now) but just keep the team's standard color cap?

Because the current ones make more money.

I've said it before, stars and stripes hats have nothing to do with being patriotic or supporting the troops. It's unfortunate, but true. They are sick marketing gimmicks. And unfortunately, it works. I've seen way too many people wearing these, and I will never set one upon my head as long as I live. It's a sick, manipulative way to take people's money. And making the hats less unique and "patriotic" as you mentioned would just hurt their brand. Although it would look better. But the shouldn't exist at all.

25yzwqg.png

You do know that 100% of sales goes to Veterans' charities right? Wow. Those unpatriotic bastards

Doesn't mean the caps are good idea. Just means it's pandering.

You don't have to dress like an imbecile to donate to a worthy cause.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

You're never going to get MLB to stop finding ways to make money, and expanding uniform sets are unfortunately here to stay, so all I'm saying is we have to endure the "Patriotic" sets, can't we just try to make them look good? For example, I thought the flags on the side of the caps were a good way to do this, they were innocuous enough, didn't really alter the cap too much, and cap collectors who have to have every deviation of a team's on-field cap could have one. Altering the cap logo only is another way. I realize I'm limiting MLB's options but I'm sorry, these caps they've produced the past few years are garbage, especially this year's version.

Whole lot of gray area in "all proceeds". That can be after much overhead is subjected (which is why Forrest Gump still hasn't turned a profit).

Better that the team just cuts a check, if the goal is really about supporting a worthy cause.

And even if they really want to tie it to merchandise, why whore out the teams' uniforms? You can sell merchandise that never takes the field (those Titleist caps which are as stupid as they are ubiquitous).

On the other hand, if the real goal is to pander, thump chests and make a great public show of largely empty "support", then mission: accomplished.

There's nothing wrong with something like "XX% of all profits made today from MLB.com or the individual teams' shops" being donated to veteran's charities. This way, people can still help the league support the troops, without the lame heavy-handed promotion of "patriotic" merchandise.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

So I get that it's for marketing, but how is it sick or disgusting to sell merchandise that combines your favorite team's logo and the American flag? It's not like they're screaming "BUY OR THE TERRORISTS WIN!".

Yeah, I'm not going to comment politically one way or the other. I'm just going to stick to design aesthetics.

Personally, I believe that appropriating the flag, symbol of us all, for a marketing scheme is disrespectful and shameful. It's actually the opposite of the effect they were going for. But I get that I've lost that battle. The flag is now little more than ad-copy garnish in today's America.

My real objection in this case is whoring out the teams' on-field uniforms in the service of that shameful marketing scheme. Sell whatever crap you can, but don't make the players model all your most tasteless merchandise.

The flag should never be used for any advertising purpose
The flag should not be used as part of a costume or athletic uniform
The flag should never have placed on it, or attached to it, any mark, insignia, letter, word, number, figure, or drawing of any kind.
07Giants.pngnyy.png

I have no idea what I was watching today, one of the games on MLB Network, and someone asked the simple question about the hats, "Have you ever seen anyone outside the teams wearing them?" I thought about it and honestly I've only seen one homeless guy wearing one, past that, the answer is a big, fat NOPE! I'm really curious as to the sales of these over the years. Of course we all know MLB would never release that, because then it might make them look bad if no one is buying them and they are forcing teams to wear ridiculous looking crap.

The problem is that they are running out of ideas. First they were all blue. Then they were all red. Last year it was the white crown. Then they are partial trucker design. Next year is going to be bad because there are no other options left in design. And they keep changing it every year because they know people would buy it.

I would like to see just a simple flag decal -- that would suffice, but that's not marketable.

But aren't we already doing enough to celebrate America? We have the National Anthem, God Bless America, a big flag on the field before the game and even fly overs. And forcing an ugly cap to it in my opinion is too much. If they are going to add RWB to caps, might as well make it look decent like this with matching unis (like the A's did on July 4, 2001)

308070721.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1309841184&Signature=8kvpfRkaxuvUCFF6xIiGn4omvRY%3D

Go A's!

Last year, it was $1 donated for every cap sold. This year, it's all net proceeds.

Either way, it's not 100%.

I've expressed my annoyance with this program before, and I know MLB started out very evasive on the donation aspect, but if what you say is true about the $1 donation, and MLB marked up these caps $2 from the regular price like they did this year ($36.99 vs. $34.99), then that's beyond sad.

The vernacular is a little confusing.

If it's 100% of all sales, then that means the total retail price of the cap is donated.

If it's 100% of profits, or "all net proceeds," that means difference between retail price and wholesale price is donated.

If it's a percentage of net proceeds, or percentage of profits, then it's an even smaller amount.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived