Yao Ming retires from basketball after 8 years in the NBA

Jahgee

BTW, he's been in the nba for 9 seasons.

To me, Yao is a hall of famer not because of what he did on the court, but because he helped the game grow so much in Asia. No way the NBA is the global icon it is now without Yao.

I didn't count the year he did not play in.

Signature.png

TrophyCase-1.png

Yao Ming is a bust, and not a Hall of Famer. He was always hurt and won what one playoff series?

He definitely wasn't a bust. Michael Olowokandi is a bust... Yao was still a very good player, and a top 5 Center in the league for the past decade.

Sad to see his career end so soon, farewell Yao.

Really a shame to see what's happened to him. When healthy one of the game's most dominating players. Defensively he was a monster and was showing marked improvement on the offensive end.

Unfortunately his sized worked against him and in the end led to a very short career.

I don't think anyone is going to make the argument that he's a Hall of Famer, but had he been healthy I think he would have been. I'd stick him in the top 40 all-time for centers even given his short career.

His NBA numbers I'd say are better then Bill Walton's if anyone wants a compairison.

Yao Ming had the skills, but staying healthy is part of it, I would give an edge to Walton personally both had injuries out the wazzu but Walton carried Portland to a title, and won a MVP.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Yao Ming had the skills, but staying healthy is part of it, I would give an edge to Walton personally both had injuries out the wazzu but Walton carried Portland to a title, and won a MVP.

I think both are going to win up being very overated on the all-time greats list. Yao did alot for the game outside of the court and had a good career, but not even close to being one of the game's all-time greats.

Walton is considered one of the games all-time greats, but I think that is solely due to his college days and not his NBA days. You look at what his career numbers were compared to some of the guys ranked around him its flat out laughable sometimes.

I'll give him credit for the one year he had in Portland when he won a title, but he's basically a one hit wonder for his career. You wouldn't consider Mike Scott to be an all-time great even if he had led Houston to a World Series title in '86, don't know why people would consider Walton one for the same reason either.

Don't forget the commitments to the Chinese national team when it comes to his career's premature demise. That put a lot of hard miles on a body that wasn't really built for hard miles.

Not a Hall of Famer. I only care about NBA results, and his are not among the best ever to play the game, so I say no, notwithstanding his contributions to selling millions of dollars in NBA crap to the Chinese.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Bill Walton also won a 6th Man Award for the Celtics, so he was more than a one hit wonder.

He's a two time all-star that was also a sixth man award winner. So was Danny Manning, who also has about the double the points then Walton did over his career. If I can take his accomplishments and match up against other players who nobody would regard as an all-time great, its usually not good.

1/3 of the guy's points come over two seasons. I cannot of anyone else who's in the NBA's top 50 where that would even be remotely close to being true.

No doubt the things he did to bridge the gap between American and Chinese sports in insurmountable. But to me, I don't think that makes him worthy of a Hall of Fame enshrinment. His physical presence was major, but he was injury prone. Happy trails nonetheless to Yao.

MK8_Iggy.pngMK8_Lemmy.pngMK8_Ludwig.pngMK8_Morton.png

BTW, he's been in the nba for 9 seasons.

To me, Yao is a hall of famer not because of what he did on the court, but because he helped the game grow so much in Asia. No way the NBA is the global icon it is now without Yao.

Yao Ming simply opened up the Chinese market for the NBA and basketball in general. Michael Jordan and the Dream Team did more to really globalize the game. However, he had a decent career for about six seasons before his health became an issue, but while he was a good center in the NBA, and helped popularize the NBA game in China, it's not enough to get him into the Hall of Fame. Maybe he will go in as a pioneer/contributor, but not as a player.

No doubt the things he did to bridge the gap between American and Chinese sports in insurmountable.

I would hope that's his legacy. He's seen as a big deal over here, but he is China's most famous athlete by far. He was a superstar over there years before he came to the NBA.

My favorite memory of Yao is in his rookie year. The first regular season game against the Lakers. His first meeting against Shaq and he had the game winning dunk with 10 seconds to go in OT. Very rare you get regular season games with a playoff feel to them, especially in the NBA, but that was one of them.

Also saw the documentary ESPN did on his rookie year which was really interesting if anyone wants to check it out. Really went into alot of what goes on behind the scenes of an NBA team and of NBA life in general if anyone is into that kind of stuff.

Archived