NCAA Infractions thread

So, umm, by the end of the 2011 football season it'll be Akron vs. Duke in the "least amount of football infractions bowl"? :P Note the use of football infractions, because who knows with Akron men's soccer or Duke men's lacrosse being successful haha

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

So, umm, by the end of the 2011 football season it'll be Akron vs. Duke in the "least amount of football infractions bowl"? :P Note the use of football infractions, because who knows with Akron men's soccer or Duke men's lacrosse being successful haha

Would you believe Penn State and Stanford?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

At this point, I'm just going to assume that every blue-blood, big-money, traditional AQ program is cheating on a grand scale.

I mean, out of last season's postseason AP top 10, six schools (Auburn, Oregon, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Alabama, and the one exception to my criteria, Boise State) have been embroiled in a cheating scandal in the past six years. One more (LSU) may find themselves in the same boat if Lyles is telling the truth about their involvement with him. The NCAA has not demonstrated any ability to control cheating in the big football programs, and sadly, it still takes intense public and media pressure for the NCAA to act when a program is caught cheating. The NCAA is a joke.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Would you believe Penn State and Stanford?

Penn State? Yeah, I think Paterno's kinda in that Coach K category of sticking to the rules. Stanford? No, I have a gut feeling things are a little fishy with the Harbaugh-era, even as the top academic D-1A school. Hell, Harvard basketball had infractions a few years ago so anything's possible

ffMc5dZ.png

At this point, I'm just going to assume that every blue-blood, big-money, traditional AQ program is cheating on a grand scale.

I mean, out of last season's postseason AP top 10, six schools (Auburn, Oregon, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Alabama, and the one exception to my criteria, Boise State) have been embroiled in a cheating scandal in the past six years. One more (LSU) may find themselves in the same boat if Lyles is telling the truth about their involvement with him. The NCAA has not demonstrated any ability to control cheating in the big football programs, and sadly, it still takes intense public and media pressure for the NCAA to act when a program is caught cheating. The NCAA is a joke.

I would take it a step further and just assume all D1 programs are cheating. Hell, why not just say that every college program has been cheating for the last 2 decades, possibly further. Do you honestly think Barry Switzer and Bobby Bowden were clean coaches? Behind every successful program, there is a dark secret.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

If ya ain't cheatin', ya ain't tryin'.

Free shoes for everyone!! :P

If that last reference was lost on you, check the second logo down underneath my sig...it should make sense then.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I would take it a step further and just assume all D1 programs are cheating. Hell, why not just say that every college program has been cheating for the last 2 decades, possibly further.

I wouldn't go that far. I doubt, say, Akron has the resources and clout to cheat. And if they are cheating, they suck at it.

xLmjWVv.png

So when does big time college football tell the NCAA and BCS to go F themselves and make their own league? I laugh and laugh when people talk about the integrity and tradition of the sport. Pay the players, have a playoff, blow up the conferences, I don't care. This is a minor league for the NFL and has been for years.

1zgyd8w.jpg

So when does big time college football tell the NCAA and BCS to go F themselves and make their own league? I laugh and laugh when people talk about the integrity and tradition of the sport. Pay the players, have a playoff, blow up the conferences, I don't care. This is a minor league for the NFL and has been for years.

That has been a thought for many, most recently Mark Cuban. Yet for a team(s) to leave, they need others enough to have not just a football schedule but a schedule for their other sports. The ancillary sports must be included due to Title IX. If one with nine or more want to break away, they could but they would also know that there other sports would have to compete with themselves too and those may not be televised.

The CFA broke away from the NCAA in 1984 terms of televised football games (through SCOTUS) and it had assisted in gaining revenue for institutions but even it disbanded in 1997.

Also remember, if players are paid, that money is taxed. How many current players eve file to the IRS with their actual jobs, if they have one? Football players are basically told to give a total commitment to a school yet their scholarships are renewed each year. Thus a kid who puts on a team hat on national signing day is only guaranteed one year in a scholarship.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but a good amount of these kids don't really value their education anyway, so why not take the scholarships off the table, and instead pay them. This charade of "amateur athletics" has gone on long enough, and no matter what the NCAA does it'll never really defer the schools from cheating the system unless you enforce the "Death Penalty" after the initial violation.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but a good amount of these kids don't really value their education anyway, so why not take the scholarships off the table, and instead pay them. This charade of "amateur athletics" has gone on long enough, and no matter what the NCAA does it'll never really defer the schools from cheating the system unless you enforce the "Death Penalty" after the initial violation.

Even if there was a "wage scale", boosters/alumni/friends of the program would increase that financial number plus the IRS would really get involved as they would be employees thus FICA would be involved from the institutions or their "athletic not-for-profit company". Plus HS athletes would go to teams in states which did not have a state income tax and those states/schools would also get the more successful coaches to also get said tax break.

So when does big time college football tell the NCAA and BCS to go F themselves and make their own league?

That'd be never, because the BCS overtly favors blue-blood programs and power conferences. It'd take the DOJ to bring down the BCS.

RE: paying players - the simple answer to why it isn't done is because, thanks to Title IX, schools would have to hand equal checks to athletes in non-revenue sports. This would bankrupt a lot of athletic departments. Also, you think college football is unfair now? The SEC would just buy all the five star recruits and leave the leftovers for everyone else. That's not a recipe for a sustainable sport.

xLmjWVv.png

As much as I am for reforming college football and the NCAA in general, the problem would end up being outside of football and men's basketball, what the hell are you gonna do for non-revenue sports and D-2 and D-3 sports? You're gonna open up a whole can of worms with that one, not to mention there isn't too much of a problem with those aspects of the NCAA.

ffMc5dZ.png

WARNING: RANT INCOMING

Ok, I'm sorry, but paying the players would be the worst idea ever, mainly because it would discriminate against other athletes and students. Football players and basketball players are not the only ones who are struggling to get a meal. What about the art student who didn't get a full ride scholarship because he wasn't 6'2 270lbs? So what if they don't value their education? News flash, YOU ARE STILL GOING TO SCHOOL! If you can't appreciate the fact that you are going to college for free to play outside, then I don't know what to tell you. Yes, i realize that those athletes make the school money, but so do other students. What about the business major who ends up being a multi millionaire? It's in the future, but he's got a helluva lot better chance at benefitting the school in the long run than the failed college football star. The other problem is that if football players, or any other athletes, were payed, then every student would become some sort of athlete and all of a sudden the school is paying students to go to class, which is wrong. And if it's just football, then that discriminates against other sports that produce revenue, just not quite as much as the football team. So what, you can't get paid because you chose to play basketball instead of football? The entire argument for paying players is ridiculous and shows just how little americans value education.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

WARNING: RANT INCOMING

Ok, I'm sorry, but paying the players would be the worst idea ever, mainly because it would discriminate against other athletes and students. Football players and basketball players are not the only ones who are struggling to get a meal. What about the art student who didn't get a full ride scholarship because he wasn't 6'2 270lbs? So what if they don't value their education? News flash, YOU ARE STILL GOING TO SCHOOL! If you can't appreciate the fact that you are going to college for free to play outside, then I don't know what to tell you. Yes, i realize that those athletes make the school money, but so do other students. What about the business major who ends up being a multi millionaire? It's in the future, but he's got a helluva lot better chance at benefitting the school in the long run than the failed college football star. The other problem is that if football players, or any other athletes, were payed, then every student would become some sort of athlete and all of a sudden the school is paying students to go to class, which is wrong. And if it's just football, then that discriminates against other sports that produce revenue, just not quite as much as the football team. So what, you can't get paid because you chose to play basketball instead of football? The entire argument for paying players is ridiculous and shows just how little americans value education.

First off, "the other students" are able to work 24/7/365 while a scholarship athlete is prohibited from working during their playing season.

Your analogy of a business major is ineffective as you allude to what they may do AFTER graduation. You would have been better suited if you claimed that an undergraduate student was on campus and used school property (like computer servers) to start their business. If a researcher uses university tools, it still can be the university's intellectual property. When a HS senior signs a letter of intent, they sign away their licensing rights FOREVER. That seems crappy to me, but that is the way it is and the Ed O'Bannon case may solve that issue since former athletes who competed before the LOI do not have rights to their likeness during their collegiate playing days.

What the heck is "payed"?

I heard about the WVU infractions earlier but was on vacation so I didn't hear what they actually were. Turns out back when Rich Rod was in charge WVU have more coaches and personnel involved in Football operations than allowed by the NCAA. Wow! I mean a rule's a rule, but that's a lame rule.

1zqy8ok.gif

Archived