Biggest Upgrades and Downgrades

piratesfan16

Great idea for a thread. (This may take a while. I have a lot to get to. :D )

Here are a couple of mine to get started. Apologies in advance if I miss something or get a facemask change wrong etc. At my age it's not so easy to remember all the changes over the years.

Upgrades

348786_display_image.jpg?1296861786new-york-jets-mark-sanchez-buffalo-bills-bad.jpg

display_image.jpg?x=890820ny-giants.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NHL downgrade:

Wild01.png

TO

Wild05.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

NHL downgrade:

Wild01.png

TO

Wild05.png

Could not agree more, the Wild don't even have an identity right now. Their identity is that they can't decide between a contemporary look (the roads) or the fauxback route (Homes, Thirds). That being said they seem to be marketing that Green Alternate jersey a fair amount. Perhaps the look will be designed around that in the not too distant future.

If I feel that someone trolls and ruins threads, I'll call them out on it. Hell - a mod called him out on it recently (Slapshot I think.) You know just as well as I do that there's a ton of douchebaggery that has infested the forums over the past year (do I need to list the names? Probably not. Everyone knows who they are. And anyone who doesn't know is probably one of them, and they all seem to gravitate toward threads like this (I'm amazed BTW that this has actually remained a good troll/douchebag free thread for the most part, and I'm glad to see it.) Lights Out can handle himself. He doesn't need you calling me out when it's not a "gang up" or "piling on" situation. He or a mod can take care of that.

EDIT: removed some non-classy language.

My point was simply that you don't need to be a douchebag in order to request that people not behave like douchebags. It's counterproductive. Your post was just sitting there begging for someone to "go full douchebag" in response to it. Maybe it's just me, but if I were looking to avoid a flame war, the last thing I'd do is start a fire...so to speak. Calling someone out just throws another log on the fire you claim you were trying to avoid. Then again, you're hardly one of our more affable members so I suppose it was silly of me to think you'd behave in any other way.

:lol:

I'm absolutely amazed by how many people feel the Browns' relatively (IMO) tiny change of white facemask to light gray facemask has somehow destroyed a uniform they clain to otherwise love. Its a very old traditional look even with the white. It makes sense that they'd make this move. But either way, even for us, it doesn't seem like something this many folks should go ballistic over. (And, yes, I'm well aware of what this board is about... but still...)

I'm absolutely amazed by how many people feel the Browns' relatively (IMO) tiny change of white facemask to light gray facemask has somehow destroyed a uniform they clain to otherwise love. Its a very old traditional look even with the white. It makes sense that they'd make this move. But either way, even for us, it doesn't seem like something this many folks should go ballistic over. (And, yes, I'm well aware of what this board is about... but still...)

It's not just the hideous grey facemask, but just about everything they did to their home jersey with the change in 2006. The white facemask looks great with an orange helmet. They also stupidly got rid of the thin brown stripes between the orange/white on the sleeves, lightened the orange (why?), added unneeded wordmark (the Packers, Bears, Raiders, Colts, and Chiefs don't need it...why the Browns?), and threw that awful "AL" stitch on the left sleeve. The uniforms they wore from 1999-2002 were PERFECT!!

**NOTE: Yes, I know the wordmark and "AL" patch appeared between 2003-2004, but still the overall home uniform from 2006-present is their worst.**

1999-2002

t_26014_06.jpg

THIS is how the Browns should look, in my opinion.

2012_Browns_Nike.png

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

It's not just the hideous grey facemask, but just about everything they did to their home jersey with the change in 2006. The white facemask looks great with an orange helmet. They also stupidly got rid of the thin brown stripes between the orange/white on the sleeves, lightened the orange (why?), added unneeded wordmark (the Packers, Bears, Raiders, Colts, and Chiefs don't need it...why the Browns?), and threw that awful "AL" stitch on the left sleeve. The uniforms they wore from 1999-2002 were PERFECT!!

**NOTE: Yes, I know the wordmark and "AL" patch appeared between 2003-2004, but still the overall home uniform from 2006-present is their worst.**

Yes, I think everyone agrees that the "AL" patch is stupid, but I actually like the removal of the thin brown sleeve stripes... brings it more in line with the road, which in this case is good.

And, lightened the orange? Are you sure? I never heard that before.

Yes, I think everyone agrees that the "AL" patch is stupid, but I actually like the removal of the thin brown sleeve stripes... brings it more in line with the road, which in this case is good.

No. Didn't happen. The Brown changed a little bit between the 2005 and 2006 seasons, but the Orange stayed the same.

No kidding. The orange looks the same, the thin brown line being gone is not that noticeable and actually looks a lot cleaner considering the stipes on the helmet and pants don't have any thin lines of color in between them. And white facemasks always look more generic and bare than a gray facemask.

No. Didn't happen. The Brown changed a little bit between the 2005 and 2006 seasons, but the Orange stayed the same.

I don't know, ColorWerx. I'm a diehard follower and it seems the 2006-present Browns' orange is lighter (especially on the jersey sleeve).

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

the thin brown line being gone is not that noticeable and actually looks a lot cleaner considering the stipes on the helmet and pants don't have any thin lines of color in between them.

That thin Brown line looks great in person though.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

BIGGEST DOWNGRADE EVER

Devils09.png ----> Devils15.png

DAMN YOU REEBOK WHY DO YOU HAVE TO RUIN EVERYTHING

Are you for real?

You're actually complaining about this... Considering how many teams had their jerseys absolutely butchered during the Edge changeover, complaining about this transition is taking nitpicking to a new level. How could they have done this any better with the Edge jersey? They even had a template specifically made to accommodate the shape of the shoulder yokes. You'll notice no other team currently has shoulders like those.

Can somebody help me out? I can't see a NOTICEABLE difference between the two....

Downgrade: Andre-Johnson.jpgTO Houston_Texans_v_0ae0.jpg

Unnecessary sock change by the Texans that really soured a look that was previously perfectly color-balanced.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Downgrades eh?

This:

Oct25110_orland1_b.jpgcanucks_display_image.jpg?1273459888

Has to be up there for all time contenders.

Agreed. Talk about a huge downgrade, that's the prototype of downgrading.

Also, I don't think I did NHL or MLS so I guess I'll do that now.

UPGRADES

NHL: Boston Bruins to EDGE

Bruins48.png -> Bruins49.png

I can't put my finger on exactly why, but the Bruins unis from '95-'07 just didn't look good at all to me...then they make that upgrade and they're now one of the best looking teams in hockey. Go figure.

MLS: Colorado Rapids in 2007

oatn8w9lksvjzlmc2hb1ejaaw.gif -> rkjf0o1eifa47lh6uhy4oj5qy.gif

Absolute 100% upgrade, and a perfect metaphor for MLS's acension into the "2.0 Era." They went from looking like a lower-level American team to a top-tier football club.

DOWNGRADES

NHL: TIE! Calgary Flames & St. Louis Blues to EDGE

Flames18.png -> Flames19.png

Blues22.png -> Blues25.png

Holy :censored:, both of these teams went from top-tier looks in the pre-EDGE era to :censored:-tier looks in the EDGE era.

MLS: Houston Dynamo in 2006

http://sportslogos.net/images/logos/9/1482/full/6906.gif -> http://sportslogos.net/images/logos/9/1482/full/h8ga63uac257c37js2m47hqke.gif

Controversy aside, the Houston 1836 logo was pretty damn good. Definitely better than the generic one that the Dynamo currently have.

NHL Upgrades

mapleleafs46.png < mapleleafs48.png

Strange how three minor little details like hem stripes, number font and shoulder patches make the difference between a great looking set and an awful one. Even when the logos and colours are the same.

canucks24.png < canucks32.png

This has been mentioned before but its such a significant upgrade it bears repeating. That new colour scheme Vancouver sports has to be among the best in the league. Even the arched text has grown on me. The original Orca jerseys however are a mess of derivative colours (Avalanche) and stripes (any cookie cutter jersey).

BIGGEST DOWNGRADE EVER

Devils09.png ----> Devils15.png

DAMN YOU REEBOK WHY DO YOU HAVE TO RUIN EVERYTHING

Are you for real?

You're actually complaining about this... Considering how many teams had their jerseys absolutely butchered during the Edge changeover, complaining about this transition is taking nitpicking to a new level. How could they have done this any better with the Edge jersey? They even had a template specifically made to accommodate the shape of the shoulder yokes. You'll notice no other team currently has shoulders like those.

Can somebody help me out? I can't see a NOTICEABLE difference between the two....

All the downgrades here have to do with the actual "Edge" jersey. I think they tried to keep it as close as possible. Yes all pre-edge are better than what we currently have (for the most part)

Archived