My annual baseball road trip

RyanB06

I don't know if it's appropriate for this section, if it belongs in the Lounge, I'm sure Chris or one of the other mods will move it there and I'll be lambasted thoroughly.

Anyway...

As the die-hard Red Sox fan I am (hold the tomatoes, NYY fans), I make every effort to get to Fenway Park to see them play. But I make it a point to get to a road game or two every season (last year was Baltimore, the previous year Philadelphia) because, frankly, the tickets are easier to get hold of - especially with Fenway tickets about as easy to get hold of as winning Lotto.

This season, I thought I'd do a little different and take a nice eight-hour drive north. To Toronto, specifically. My brother and I are heading up Friday morning and we have tickets for both the Saturday and Sunday afternoon games (original plan was Saturday only, but the thought of possibly scoring a Roy Halladay bobblehead was too juicy to pass up).

I do have a question about the seating arrangement at Skydome (since the only other time I'd been there was in the Hard Rock Cafe): about what row in the lower bowl does the overhang (I figure there is one) begin? I'm in Row 34 of Aisle 119.

I'm gonna get as many pics as my digital camera's memory card will allow (should be enough with a 120 MB card), I'll likely post some either Monday or Tuesday.

Any suggestions on what we should check out (besides the obvious)?

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

The overhang begins in different rows... depends what section you're in.

Sections 101-107, or 135-141 the overhang begins around row 3

Sections 113-130 the overhang begins probably around row 37

Don't forget to look around for me, I'll be there Saturday and Sunday.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I'm in 119, so that's a good thing. Nothing worse than leaving the ballpark with tunnel vision! :D

I'll be sure to keep an eye out for you, Chris.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

Any suggestions on what we should check out (besides the obvious)?

Well, the ACC is a short walk from SkyDome. The Eaton Centre is nice place to shop, but if you're looking for a different shopping enviornment, try Square One in Mississauga (I had to put it in there). :D

I saw, I came, I left.

Wish you went to Fenway. Greatest baseball stadium in the MLB, but at least your a Sox fan. GO SOX!!!

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

im goin the game this friday vs. the BoSox! it'll be about the 15th game at skydome i've ever been to, and my first since the Clemens-Era (1999ish?)

im even gonna bust out my retro 1992 Blue Jays home jersey! so many memories of Alomar, Carter, Olerud, Molitor and White jumping around in the infield wearing those in '92 and '93! :flagcanada:

I'm heading up to GTA this summer as well...Gonna be at the Aug. 27 Yanks-Jays game.

I'm going to Toronto that weekend to, to see a Jays Yankees game, too bad I miss you by a game, I go the 28th of August.

see what i mean :)

---

Chris Creamer

Wish you went to Fenway. Greatest baseball stadium in the MLB, but at least your a Sox fan. GO SOX!!!

I disagree. I went to Fenway a few years ago and I didn't like it. I had lower level seats, first basebase side just past the infield. I couldn't see a thing people's head were in the way.

I personally think that Wrigley Field is the best ballpark. I went there this past summer and loved it. It was great.

You won't meet me, unless u go on vacation in Hawaii

gotta love the college trips...........

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Home again! Pulled in about 2 a.m. this morning, ended up being a 10-hour drive home. Took eight getting there, but, meh. :blink:

My brother and I hit the T.O. about 4:30 Friday afternoon. We got situated at the Days Hotel on Carlton (next door to Maple Leaf Gardens), then took Winters In Buffalo's advice and had an early dinner at JJ Muggs. We did a lot of walking, primarily up and down Yonge Street getting a lay of the land. We finished the evening starting at the Imperial Pub, and then headed back up Yonge to this sports bar called Hoops (just past Carlton/College). They had karaoke that night, and I did a passable rendition of Margaritaville - considering I had just polished off a 32-oz. mug of Molson Canadian which followed a couple bottles of Molson Export. (Yes, my brother and I drank a lot of beer on this trip - and don't worry, he's of age.)

--BEGIN RANT--

I can't believe they want to turn MLG into a grocery store. That is no way for one of the storied buildings in hockey to go out. At least Senators owner Eugene Melnyk wants to being an OHL team in and preserve MLG as the hockey shrine that it is. Toronto, put the Ottawa rivalry aside and get this done. Tell Loblaws to go build somewhere else.

--END RANT--

Saturday was game day #1 and we arrived at the Dome around noontime. They were in the process of closing the roof when we got there, as there was enough cloud cover to warrant it. Good day for the Sox, as Bronson Arroyo tossed a 4-0 gem. We got to see 3B Kevin Youkilis make his ML debut, and saw his first ML hit - a home run off Pat Hentgen in his second at-bat. I kept score that game, so I have a neat piece of history. We hit the CN Tower after that (since we were there already). Got some nice shots from the Skypod of downtown, the Air Canada Centre, and Skydome. Things look a lot different from 1400 feet up. We took the TTC back to the hotel, and I have to say I was very impressed with how fast it is. Granted, we were only five stops away (we got on at Union Station), but we got to where we needed to be in about five minutes. Much more efficient than Boston's subway system.

Arrived at the park Sunday around the same time, but too late to get one of the Roy Halladay bobbleheads they gave out. Pedro and the Doc went toe-to-toe for three innings, and in the bottom of the fourth, with Pedro not allowing a hit, my brother goes and does the unthinkable. "How long do you think Pedro's no-hitter will last?" Next pitch, Vernon Wells dinks a carpet-shot behind the mound for an infield single. Brother promptly gets smacked. Then Carlos Delgado goes deep. So long, shutout and lead. Brother gets smacked again. :cursing:

Sox end up losing 3-1, but Halladay got the win, so good for my fantasy baseball team.

(CC, I was looking for you, buddy, but I didn't see you. Oh well, maybe next time.)

After that, we took the TTC back to the hotel, hopped in the car, and headed for home. I think the two most boring stretches of road in the Northeast are the New York State Thruway between Buffalo and Albany and the Mass Pike from the NY border to Springfield. We hit Albany about 11:40 p.m. and Springfield about 1:00. The whole time, I tried in vain to explain to him exactly why you don't talk about a no-hitter while it's going on.

I've got about 100 pictures to go through now that they're all downloaded off my camera; I may post some of the good ones later on.

And the next time I decide to go to Toronto, I'm flying in! :D

Sodboy13 said:

Sunday's game was great :D

The roof was closed on Saturday because one of the sensors wasn't working properly, so they decided not to risk it and they closed it back up... they tried to open it twice in BP on Saturday, and twice during BP on Friday. I guess they cleared the problem up because by the time I got to the Dome early Sunday morning it was wide open.

Again I'll remind all of those who come to Jays games and want to chat with me for a few minutes, just ask your usher if they know where Chris Creamer is working today... if they don't know, ask them to ask their supervisor... it's NOT a big deal to ask that question.

I was in section 140 on Saturday, which was behind the outfield fence between LF and CF.

I was in section 129 on Sunday, which is between 3B and LF.

I wouldn't mind seein those pics, especially with you in 119 I should be in the background of a few late-inning Sunday pics.

---

Chris Creamer

You know, Chris, I almost did just that. Oh well.

We were in 120 for Sunday's game, so I'll post a couple shots from there as well. Got some good ones of Halladay dealing.

Like I said, Halladay's win helped my fantasy team, so I couldn't leave too upset.

[EDIT: Pics attached.]

Here's 119.

119.jpg

And 120.

120.jpg

Sodboy13 said:

Archived