[MLB] Does anyone else dislike the ASG determining WS home-field advantage?

Quillz

I like the idea of having the All-Star Game on July 4th. Other than that, I dunno, not really in the mood to overthink the All-Star Game. I shouldn't have to, so I'm not gonna.

That is a terrible idea. July 4th needs a full schedule of day games, maybe even a double header or two.

Any reason why? Just curious.

For one thing its a huge draw for teams. All-Star game is selling out and getting ratings no matter when its played. You take away July 4th from teams I think wind up losing alot more then you are gaining.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I can see that. Maybe make sure 4th of July is either a rival or a big interleague series. I still remember listening to the Walkoff Walker Walk against the White Sox as I headed over to fireworks at Arlington Park.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Speaking of July 4th, wasn't it weird that there were no nationally televised games this season? AND it was a Monday, which is a normal day for ESPN Baseball anyway, yet they didn't air any games? I thought July 4th was kind of a baseball holiday (the whole "America's pasttime thing") that normally featured at least 3 or 4 national games on TV, maybe I'm remembering wrong.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

The whole DH in the NL parks thing is the most ridiculous thing. They're playing the game in Arizona, an NL park, yet both teams are using a DH. That is so sick and twisted! Here's their argument: "Well, this way we get more ABs in and the pitchers don't have to bat". Wrong and wrong! With the pitcher in the batting order, just pinch hit for him! They only pitch 2 or 3 innings in these games anyways. That way, you actually get MORE players to play by pinch hitting for the pitcher each time the 9 hole comes up.

Yes, obviously they're going to use DHs in AL parks. But in NL parks? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25yzwqg.png

The whole DH in the NL parks thing is the most ridiculous thing. They're playing the game in Arizona, an NL park, yet both teams are using a DH. That is so sick and twisted! Here's their argument: "Well, this way we get more ABs in and the pitchers don't have to bat". Wrong and wrong! With the pitcher in the batting order, just pinch hit for him! They only pitch 2 or 3 innings in these games anyways. That way, you actually get MORE players to play by pinch hitting for the pitcher each time the 9 hole comes up.

Yes, obviously they're going to use DHs in AL parks. But in NL parks? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm one of the more "traditionalists" around here. I am absolutely against the DH in all ways... except the All-Star Game. That is the ONE time I think it's appropriate. It gets more guys in there and allows pitchers to just do what they were voted in for and the main thing position players were voted in for. It's the All-Star Game. You don't want to see an AL pitcher come up and take 3 pitches. This is where the fun is supposed to be happening. Pitchers should only bat in games that matter, which is why the ASG should not matter, except as a game of some fun entertainment in the middle of the season.

I'm one of the more "traditionalists" around here. I am absolutely against the DH in all ways... except the All-Star Game. That is the ONE time I think it's appropriate. It gets more guys in there and allows pitchers to just do what they were voted in for and the main thing position players were voted in for. It's the All-Star Game. You don't want to see an AL pitcher come up and take 3 pitches. This is where the fun is supposed to be happening. Pitchers should only bat in games that matter, which is why the ASG should not matter, except as a game of some fun entertainment in the middle of the season.

I'll quote myself here:

Here's their argument: "Well, this way we get more ABs in and the pitchers don't have to bat". Wrong and wrong! With the pitcher in the batting order, just pinch hit for him! They only pitch 2 or 3 innings in these games anyways. That way, you actually get MORE players to play by pinch hitting for the pitcher each time the 9 hole comes up.

25yzwqg.png

I'll quote myself here:

Here's their argument: "Well, this way we get more ABs in and the pitchers don't have to bat". Wrong and wrong! With the pitcher in the batting order, just pinch hit for him! They only pitch 2 or 3 innings in these games anyways. That way, you actually get MORE players to play by pinch hitting for the pitcher each time the 9 hole comes up.

Pinch hitting each time is no different than a DH. It's just easier to put a DH in there for this game. The game shouldn't count so the managers don't need to figure out a ph every time.

Archived