BASEBALL ALL-TIME DRAFT: Discussion Thread (PLEASE LOCK)

Dexter Morgan

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couple of questions... how many is the minimum games played at a position to be able to put him there for the team? Obviously, I'm assuming you could take A-Rod as a shortstop, but what about say... Pujols as a third baseman (103 games) or a left fielder (269 games)?

At least 5 full seasons.

Gah! Curse you, random.org! :P

That's alright though, the benefit of an all-time draft is that it's hard to go wrong, even with the last pick :)

Plus you get the 15th and 16th pick.

Ha! I didn't even think of that, maybe I'm a little lucky after all :P

I, too, am suprised a pitcher hasn't been taken yet. Will offense take over the first round?

EDIT: Quick question, if I may - I realize the title of the draft is "MLB All-Time Draft", so does this mean that Negro League players are unavaliable to pick from?

Negro League players ARE available. Josh Gibson is yours if you want him.

It was a tough call for me. I wanted to go with a pitcher for my first pick but I simply couldn't pass on Lou Gehrig.

I'd just like to add that as a baseball history buff and a plain old baseball fan, this is the most fun I've had around here in a while. Awesome idea Dexter.

BB52Big.jpg

Roger Clemens, that's the first surprising pick of the draft thus far. Not saying it's a bad pick.

Edit: I plan on ignoring the steroids era as well, so to me, this is actually a great pick. Can't ignore 350 wins, 4,600 K's, 7 Cy Young Awards

Roger Clemens, that's the first surprising pick of the draft thus far. Not saying it's a bad pick.

Edit: I plan on ignoring the steroids era as well, so to me, this is actually a great pick. Can't ignore 350 wins, 4,600 K's, 7 Cy Young Awards

Exactly. If we get bogged down in all that, we'll never finish this thing.

BB52Big.jpg

I had so much fun doing it a few years ago on a different forum, wanted to do it again. The middle and late rounds are the best. The obvious players get picked early.

Don't worry, I've got some surprises in store, and apparently, so does Lights Out.

BB52Big.jpg

Um, not even close. I can think of at least ten pitchers (including Clemens) that were better than Cy, anyway.

He won 511 games for a reason. And it wasn't sheer luck. Plus, his lifetime ERA was 2.63. Clemens lifetime ERA: 3.12.

Yeah, not even close. :rolleyes:

It's the Cy Young award, LO. Not the Roger Clemens award.

25yzwqg.png

Um, not even close. I can think of at least ten pitchers (including Clemens) that were better than Cy, anyway.

He won 511 games for a reason. And it wasn't sheer luck. Plus, his lifetime ERA was 2.63. Clemens lifetime ERA: 3.12.

I'm not saying Cy Young wasn't a good pitcher, but understand that Cy pitched in larger ballparks and the home run was not what it is today. Heck, he never even played against Babe Ruth, so if you want to consider him one of the best based on stats, that's fine, but he was out of the game before Babe even played with Boston. The award was named after him, not because he was that good and mowed down everyone, but he had huge stats against nobodies and they needed to name the award after someone. Is Cy Young a Hall of Famer based on his stats? Yes. Is he in the top 100 pitchers of all time? Not even close.

I'm not saying Cy Young wasn't a good pitcher, but understand that Cy pitched in larger ballparks and the home run was not what it is today. Heck, he never even played against Babe Ruth, so if you want to consider him one of the best based on stats, that's fine, but he was out of the game before Babe even played with Boston. The award was named after him, not because he was that good and mowed down everyone, but he had huge stats against nobodies and they needed to name the award after someone. Is Cy Young a Hall of Famer based on his stats? Yes. Is he in the top 100 pitchers of all time? Not even close.

Not even top 100? Give me 100 pitchers better than him.

25yzwqg.png

Archived