BASEBALL ALL-TIME DRAFT: Selection Thread (PLEASE LOCK)

Dexter Morgan

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The New York Mets pick who could have been the best pitcher if he was given a fair chance to play in the Majors his whole career.

Leroy "Satchel" Paige

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Chicago Cubs (Billy B ) you are on the clock.

If this is anything like the NFL draft thread, he won't make a pick for a while. He works weird hours or something.

I think you might be confusing me with someone, the only shifts I work are 11-5 AM or 5-11 PM. I'm on here way much during the summer.

The Chicago Cubs select possibly the best hitter of all-time, catcher Josh Gibson. According to official records, Gibson had a career batting average of .359 and "almost 800 home runs."

gibson.gif

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

The Modesto Nuts are pleased to select Joe DiMaggio.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

I apologize for the delay everyone, VERY long night at work.

Anyways, with the 15th pick, the Los Angeles Dodgers select...

08_pic2.gif

First baseman Jimmie Foxx.

A versatile defender who could play any position if asked (and was actually also a solid catcher and even pitched late in his career for the Phillies) Jimmie Foxx was also one of the most feared batters of his time. 534 HR, 2.646 hits, a .325 batting average and 1,922 RBIs lend proof to his dominance at the plate. Though he would start at first base for my team, Foxx would also be an emergency catcher and pitcher. Thus, I felt his value in offense AND defense was too hard to pass up.

And with the 16th pick, the Los Angeles Dodgers select...

christy-mathewson.jpg

Starting pitcher Christy Mathewson.

Referred to as "The Greg Maddux of his era", Mathewson was one of, if not the, greatest "stuff" pitchers of all time. He racked up an incredible 373-188 record, with 79 shutouts and a sparkling 2.13 ERA. I wanted to use my opportunity of two consecutive picks well, so I wanted to use one of them to get a real ace - which Mathewson certainly was.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

The Modesto Nuts select Pete Rose.

With his ability to play almost any position, we're betting he's gonna be great for us.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

8ussmr9nym262dzff1g7te1it.gif

With the 20th overall pick, the Tampa Bay Devil Rays have selected first baseman Sadaharu Oh.

150px-SadaharuOh756.jpg

In the NPB, Oh won nine MVP awards, two consecutive Triple Crowns, he was a 20-time All-Star, and won the first nine Gold Gloves in NPB history. He had 2786 career hits and 2170 career RBI in his 22 years as a player, but he is most famous for his 868 career home runs - the most in professional baseball history. He led the NPB 15 times in HR, 13 times in RBI, 18 times in walks, 15 times in overall runs scored, and 5 times in batting average. He clearly dominated his league. Ultimately, like thirteenth-overall pick Josh Gibson, he never got the chance to dominate the MLB due to a culture of racism in the league. Through the 1970s, there was an unspoken ban on imported Japanese players, meaning that playing in the MLB was an impossibility for Oh.

The NPB, while historically strong in its own right, isn't on the MLB's level. So how would his offensive stats measure up to the MLB game? Jim Albright of Baseball Guru projected, based on his career in Japan, that he would have had 527 career home runs, 2778 career hits, 372 doubles, and a .279 career batting average. That line puts him in Cooperstown contention already. Albright is not alone - Davey Johnson, the only player in history to play with both Oh and Hank Aaron, once said, "Oh would have hit 700 homers over here. He would be a good hitter anywhere in the world." Johnson also was quoted in Sports Illustrated as saying "you couldn’t find a better [fielding] first baseman" than Oh.

Ultimately, I feel justified in selecting Oh not just because he dominated his own league, but also because he would have been an MLB legend and a first-ballot Hall of Famer as well, on offense and defense.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived