BASEBALL ALL-TIME DRAFT: Selection Thread (PLEASE LOCK)

Dexter Morgan

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the 38th pick

EddieCollins2.jpg

2B-Eddie Collins

D*MN IT!!!

I totally thought for a while he'd fall to my picks...oh well. You just got yourself an incredible steal, pmoehrin. Fantastic pick.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

With the 38th pick

EddieCollins2.jpg

2B-Eddie Collins

D*MN IT!!!

I totally thought for a while he'd fall to my picks...oh well. You just got yourself an incredible steal, pmoehrin. Fantastic pick.

I think people are going for too many name value guys as opposed to production value guys and too many outfielders.

17 outfielders (including Pete Rose) have gone so far and by my board that number should only be at 10. Reggie Jackson, Roberto Clemente, Sadaharu Oh. Not guys I'd say that should be going this early, and its leaving guys like Collins and solid pitchers open.

17 outfielders (including Pete Rose) have gone so far and by my board that number should only be at 10. Reggie Jackson, Roberto Clemente, Sadaharu Oh. Not guys I'd say that should be going this early, and its leaving guys like Collins and solid pitchers open.

I'm counting on it. B)

BB52Big.jpg

With the 38th pick

EddieCollins2.jpg

2B-Eddie Collins

D*MN IT!!!

I think people are going for too many name value guys as opposed to production value guys and too many outfielders.

You nailed it. The name isn't always everything, it's all about the production. Collins gets lost in the discussions of all-time greats - especially at his position - often. But compare his career to that of others who usually get the talk...and "surprised" will pretty much describe the usual reaction. Sporting News' 100 has him ranked as the 26th greatest player of all-time, Rogers Hornsby said he was the greatest second baseman he ever saw, and he accumulated 3,315 hits with a .333 average and 745 steals. Pretty remarkable resume for a guy who never gets talked about :)

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

8ussmr9nym262dzff1g7te1it.gif

With the 41st overall pick, the Tampa Bay Devil Rays have selected right fielder Ichiro Suzuki.

ichiro-suzuki.jpg

Only player with 10 200-hit seasons in a row.

3,500 career hits (counting his NPB career).

.331 career batting average.

10 consecutive seasons of .300 BA or above.

Averages 38 SB and 46 walks a season.

Averages 105 runs a season.

103.3 career UZR, 10.5 career UZR/150.

10-time MLB All-Star.

10-time MLB Gold Glove winner.

3-time Silver Slugger winner.

2001 Rookie of the Year and MVP.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

The Modesto Nuts select Iron Man.

ironman.gif

Cal Ripken Jr.

0911_large.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

I got back alot earlier than I thought I would, so without further ado...

With the 45th pick of the draft, the Los Angeles Dodgers select:

LajoieNap.jpg

Second Baseman Napoleon Lajoie. One of the greatest hitters of all time and a standout at second base, Lajoie compiled a resume of 3,242 hits, a .338 avg., and 1,599 RBI's. Ty Cobb called him "the greatest hard-hitting batter I ever saw".

And with the 46th pick of the draft, the Los Angeles Dodgers select:

index_a2.jpg

Catcher Roy Campanella. One of the most beloved figures in baseball history, "Campy" brought heart, leadership, and example to every game he played. A brilliant defensive mind with cat-like quickness and reflexes, he was also an accomplished batter who compile 1,161 hits, 242 HR, a .276 avg., and 856 RBIs before tragically becoming paralyzed in a 1957 car accident. His greatest achievements, however, are his three NL MVP awards - 1951, 1953, and 1955. Campy was a "lock pick" for me given that he fell in place, for I wanted a catcher (a position I hold a VERY high regard and value for) who was an offensive threat, but more so a leader and someone who could "quarterback" the defense, in a way. Given Campy's career and three MVP awards, I felt he fit the type of catcher I was looking for and was the best avaliable option at the position.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

Archived