Astros concept

elliott

Hello, so I got tired of hockey concepts, and I've had a bunch of MLB concepts on my computer for a couple of years that I never posted on here. I figured I'd post a few of them, the Astros concept was already pretty presentable so I made a few tweaks and decided it was ready to post. Tell me what yall think..

I redid their logos, going for a spacey theme with planets and streaking comet/baseballs. the font has a serif treatment that was inspired by their old block H logo, which I included in the package as well; the font also features a ring around the first letters and curved-diamond detail in the negative space of the "o's" that is supposed to resemble stars. The cap logo is a stylized H in the shape of a planet, also with the "saturn ring". Jerseys are simple enough, navy based with orange used as an accent on the numbers and script. That's about it, yall can figure out the rest.

astros2011-1.gif

astros2011-2.gif

I really like it except for that cap logo. It looks really out of place. I'd put the logo you have on the sleeve on the hats and then put the primary logo on the sleeve. Really nice work on the rest, though. I love the mix between the modern and the block.

6fQjS3M.png

I really like it except for that cap logo. It looks really out of place. I'd put the logo you have on the sleeve on the hats and then put the primary logo on the sleeve. Really nice work on the rest, though. I love the mix between the modern and the block.

What he said.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

This is great and very original, love it. With that being said, I love the cap logo but don't think it looks right at the moment on the hat. I agree maybe shrinking it down and moving the ring up a tad would help. The seams on the baseball in the primary are a bit odd, too angular maybe.

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

I really like the A and H logos. They definitely are simple but effective. I don't know about the colors though. I know they are vintage and a throwback to the originals .45s... but so many teams have the blue and orange scheme. I think their current brick, black, and tan is the best yet.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

This looks really great, but I echo what's been said about the cap logo. You have a winner with the block H and Saturn rings in the wordmark. Just use that.

I think you should consider moving the jersey scripts slightly to the left. I know it's centered now because of the rings around the leading letter, I think you should center them based on the letters themselves rather than the using the flourishes as well.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

I really like this concept. I've always wanted them to go back to blue and orange, so props there. I also love the wordmarks and numbers. Classic but with a unique twist, which is great. I would change a couple things though...

The wordmark font is really nice.

The first letters "A" and "H" are excellent.

Why not put one of those letters with the swirl on the cap?

Agreed. I would use the H/swirl from the wordmark on the cap, then use the primary (minus the stars and wordmarks) on the sleeve. Then I'd just get rid of the other logos.

I really like the A and H logos. They definitely are simple but effective. I don't know about the colors though. I know they are vintage and a throwback to the originals .45s... but so many teams have the blue and orange scheme. I think their current brick, black, and tan is the best yet.

The Tigers and Mets are the only other teams that use blue and orange, but the Tigers barely use orange and the Mets use a lighter blue and focus on black more than orange.

The concept is solid, however I think there's better ways to execute it.

For example, while the cap logo is pretty clever, and should certainly remain in the package (or at least be used in some capacity like for marketing purposes), I think that it would look better in the context of baseball history if the actual on-field version was devoid of the bevels and shading / shadowing (whatever it is on the rings.) Those effects would make it look dated very quickly, while a solid white H and solid orange rings would stay true to the overall concept yet provide a timeless quality that might never require updating.

The outlining and shadowing on the jersey wordmarks is entirely too thick, and is more reminiscent of a softball uniform IMO. I'd thin them up so that there's space between each letter (i.e. move away from the "patch" effect), and I would actually consider dropping the orange all together. A better way to incorporate the orange and make it stand out would be to carry it over from the cap as the rings of the A and H on the home and road respectively. So navy letters with an orange ring. You could also go with orange front numbers, possibly with a navy outline. I don't think it would detract from the wordmark if the font is more standard - but I wouldn't do it with the font that you chose. Open-topped 4s have kind of jumped the shark. I can't explain why but they've never really caught on in the sports world. Teams have certainly done it, but I'm not sure if it's actually stuck with any. It's another element that would have to be updated in 5 years or so.

Simplify the execution and you could have a timeless classic. Keep it as is and you'll have a nice looking uniform that would simply be stale in a few years. Neither approach is right or wrong - it depends on your goals.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived