NHL uniform concept thread

andrew.

I would also wonder what exactly do people look for in concept uniforms around here? Just in reading through other threads I can't really say for sure what it seems like people want to see, or what the order of importance is. Originality, quality, minimalistic or extravagant, things to avoid, etc. If anyone would want to shed some light on the issue or just comment more on what I've posted I'd appreciate it.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would also wonder what exactly do people look for in concept uniforms around here? Just in reading through other threads I can't really say for sure what it seems like people want to see, or what the order of importance is. Originality, quality, minimalistic or extravagant, things to avoid, etc. If anyone would want to shed some light on the issue or just comment more on what I've posted I'd appreciate it.

Honestly, that changes from person to person. As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. In the end, people just want to see something that looks good to them ? but, of course, that is all based on personal tastes. (Sometimes, that gets clouded by team allegiances.)

I can tell you, though, one of the big things I look for, personally, is the practicality of the design. Can I see this actually being used out on the field/ice/court by a professional team? That's where things like the readability of fonts and taking other equipment into account comes in.

Thanks for the response. In truth, I'm not all that bothered, you can't please everyone all the time and this is all just for fun anyway, but it's good to get a sense of what people look for because I'm new to all of this and I only know what I look for.

I'm going to redo the Nordiques set today and then post up something new a bit later. Cheers.

Nordiques redone a bit. Home/away/alternate.

quebechome.png

quebecaway.png

quebecalternate.png

Ditched the navy alternate, added a bit to the red jersey and gave it an older-style collar. Not sold on the blue I used this time as a color for the home but I like it a lot as trim on the other jerseys and it seems weak to use a different shade just for the home. Didn't forget shoulder numbers, just couldn't get them to look good somehow. I hope these go down a bit better but either way I'm not going to touch them for a while. Whatever the next few posts will be they will be something new.

Any tips welcome.

I understand that you're not going to be going back to these for a while (i understand getting tired of looking at a concept), but I hope that you go back and post a "fixed" and "finalized" version of your stuff once you're done with your series. It's good to have some finality to it all. As George Lucas said, "movies are never finished, only abandoned." with concepts, you can come a little closer to finished.

As for what you've fixed with the Nords (the guys were definitely right on the sheer amount of jerseys, though I really liked the Q-wolf idea, the clipart just doesn't fly here. It's amazing how quickly people identify unoriginal pieces), you've gotten it down to three really solid jerseys. I like the white better than the blue, but i think that's simply because I don't think baby blue and red go well together, and that's personal preference. The whole thing gives a very Houston Oilers vibe, and i don't think that's a bad thing. The red reminds me of Norway's jerseys, and that's also a good thing. They're really underrated and unknown, and I think this brings the look to the masses. Very nice.

As for suggestions, the different-color nameplate is already being overdone in the minors and juniors, so I'd drop it. It's just not necessary, and doesn't add anything. The circle logo doesn't look bad on the red jersey, but it's been so overdone in the league now that i'm surprised more of the board hasn't mentioned it. To keep the vintage look going, I'm thinking an all-text logo, like COLORADO or RANGERS diagonal across the chest might be more interesting. I can see you like serifs on your 1s, and they usually go straight across instead of angled downward. If you're going to continue doing that, put bases on the 1s to avoid the 1/7 confusion at distance. Also, don't forget sleeve numbers!

Which brings me to answering your question, it really is different for everybody, some are really into originality, some are into protecting "sacred" designs and not changing iconic ones, but I think the key is being realistic. Make sure the NHL could use it on the ice. Blatant disregard for modern NHL rules, like gold jerseys no longer being allowed at home, are things that really make me think poorly of a concept. Major bonus points for if you're original, yet stay within the bounds of realism, which I think you did really well with the St. Louis concepts. Keep that kind of stuff up, and you'll do well around here. Oh, and NEVER PLAGIARIZE WORK! This includes clipart in any way, shape, or form. This board never lets that stuff go. Keep up the good work!

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

It's way too early for me to say never about anything, I just don't want the first ten concept posts I make in here to be three new ideas and the rest be updates. Good to know right off the bat no one's cool with clip art, although plagiarism is a strong word. I said it was clip art, it was just an idea I was wondering about. Spending two hours trying make an ugly wolf silhouette that's going to look 95% like some generic image anyway didn't seem the smartest way to spend my time, but I'll avoid that if it's going to turn people off. I'm not nearly skilled enough in Paint.net to be able to create what I see that idea as being from scratch, but on second thought I guess it's better to just keep those kinds of ideas to myself until I begin to know what I'm doing.

I hadn't even thought of a diagonal wordmark for the red jersey. I knew I wanted a red one in the set and it kind of distracted from the logo on the other two when I just slapped that logo on there with a white outline, and the circular one seemed to fix that. I know it's become a bit trendy in the real world, though. Even more cliche than slapping beige on a uniform and calling it retro.

Thanks for the font tips as well. It's not so much what I like in fonts, but what I don't like - I can't stand blocky numbers, they always seem to come off looking fat and ugly to me

Thanks again, bear with me for a while and I'll start getting better.

one thing i look for, is could you REALLY see the team wearing what you are making. I mean sometimes you have a good idea and once you're done, you know there's no way it would ever have a standing chance.

I usually look for clean well executed ideas. usually involving traditional designs with a modern update or pointing out something that would improve the original design that they may have missed on in the past.

Complete over haul concepts are either really amazing or really terrible. I try to avoid those because some teams (especially NHL) you cannot change something thats already great and has their fans set in their ways (Original 6 teams).

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

To be honest, I look for something that looks good as a whole. On the St. Louis jerseys, you have that modern-computeresque font that looks horrible as it matches nothing on the jersey. Throw on top of that you have a script St Louis font on one of the jerseys to really throw it out of whack. On the Quebec jerseys, the white nameplate on the blue jersey is just bad. The font is good, just you need to thicken it up and understand how to use spacing. The numbers and letters should not be that far apart on the Kopitar jersey and the name on the Kopitar is way to small. Your spacing on the nameplates should be tight, not how you have them. It's the little things that will make a concept go from good to bad. It amazes me how many people will throw up a concept and not look at how a real jersey is done. It just takes a little research to find out the spacing on the letters for the names.

Β 

Β 

It's way too early for me to say never about anything, I just don't want the first ten concept posts I make in here to be three new ideas and the rest be updates. Good to know right off the bat no one's cool with clip art, although plagiarism is a strong word. I said it was clip art, it was just an idea I was wondering about. Spending two hours trying make an ugly wolf silhouette that's going to look 95% like some generic image anyway didn't seem the smartest way to spend my time, but I'll avoid that if it's going to turn people off. I'm not nearly skilled enough in Paint.net to be able to create what I see that idea as being from scratch, but on second thought I guess it's better to just keep those kinds of ideas to myself until I begin to know what I'm doing.

I hadn't even thought of a diagonal wordmark for the red jersey. I knew I wanted a red one in the set and it kind of distracted from the logo on the other two when I just slapped that logo on there with a white outline, and the circular one seemed to fix that. I know it's become a bit trendy in the real world, though. Even more cliche than slapping beige on a uniform and calling it retro.

Thanks for the font tips as well. It's not so much what I like in fonts, but what I don't like - I can't stand blocky numbers, they always seem to come off looking fat and ugly to me

Thanks again, bear with me for a while and I'll start getting better.

The plagiarism comment was directed at anything you've done, the wolf was a good idea, and that wasn't even a complete ripoff. You might notice the team USA concept that's near the top of the boards right now, I'm surprised all hell hasn't broken loose with that logo being from istockphoto. You're good right now, just keep that in mind in the future. The quickest way to lose your credibility is to use a piece of clip art. If you have a generic idea, find a photo and use it as a reference point.

There's nothing truly wrong with trendy or fad elements, they'll take some flak, but there are times when they're used well. The more you avoid them, the better your concept will probably be received. Just something to keep in mind. If it really improves a piece, use it. No shame in that. I think that red jersey is an example of that (red logo on red? that would be rough. The white circle is welcome), though I think some tinkering might make for something very different and eye-catching. just my two cents.

You've had a great start here. These concepts are pretty advanced for someone who has been around for a while, and incredible for a rookie. Keep your nose clean, stay realistic, don't rush your work (keeping that attention to detail, like including sleeve numbers, is what I mean, and of course keeping from sloppy work), and continue taking criticism this well (honestly, I think this is the first time I've seen someone this patient with critiques and this open to criticism, keep it up), and you'll do just fine.

Again, keep it up.

Honest feedback is good feedback, man. I have no intention at all at making a career out of designing or graphics or anything, I just like sports jerseys (usually more than the sports themselves, to be honest) and it's just all for fun, something to do to pass the summer break, but even in something you're just doing for fun you won't last long if you need everything sugarcoated for you. Thanks for the help.

Some more fun. The first is the home, the second the away, the third the alternate.

floridahome.png

879456.png

floridaalternate.png

There was no real inspiration for any of these, I just like the color combination and for some reason thought of the Panthers. I made the third because I couldn't find a way to make an all-gold uniform look good, and I thought that perhaps a sharpened up and slightly edited version of an old soccer template might look alright. The colors are maroon and metallic gold. The white in the logo I replaced with platinum, it just looked better to me that way.

Criticism and comments and tips and all that more than welcome. Don't be shy.

Really like the colours for the panthers jerseys, as well as the home and away jerseys. I guess the colours are almost like updated old Flames colours - which I always loved, but they work well with Florida. I'm not a huge fan of the alternate though. I don't feel like the flow of the soccer jersey transfers well to this, although I could see the NHL doing something similar for an All-star jersey. Regardless it's very original. I think it might look a bit less "odd" if the black didn't come across the hem line, but that's just me. Good job though! :grin:

That's a good spot with the hemline, I considered removing it altogether but ultimately decided against it. I spent half an hour or so messing around with the gold 'sash' (for lack of a better word) going up the right side of the jersey (left if you're wearing it, whatever) and then curving along the hemline, going along the shoulder yoke and then having it curve up around the opposite side of the collar, but couldn't manage to get it to right. I even tried making the left side of the collar (facing the jersey) gold and the right side black to make the curve easier, but it didn't quite work. I'm not completely sure on it but I think it looks alright. My eventual goal in doing all these jerseys is to become good enough to tackle a project where I completely redesign all 30 NHL teams and their AHL affiliates to boot, and this is all just good practice for that.

The word PANTHERS is too far down the body. On a player, it would be ending at his hips. Bump that up a bit, probably until the P touches the stitching stripe.

The stripes on the white jersey are too far down as well. I can't imagine that working well with them being only on the "diaper hemline" rather than full actual stripes.

I definitely don't like the third's crazy stripes...but I think they'd be tolerable if they didn't swing back on the bottom. Just make that stripe go straight down, and then it could connect to a stripe on the pants. Hell, maybe even different colored socks might be fitting. It's screwy...just too screwy for the NHL...but going straight down, a two-colored jersey just might work.

One more thing, I think the third might tie in a little better if you used the same sleeve stripes on the third as you did on the home and road, the two different thick stripes. Make one gold, and the other the color opposite the jersey (gold and red on the black side, gold and black on the red side). It's an idea, I don't know if it's a good one or not, but it might be worth trying.

Which brings me to answering your question, it really is different for everybody, some are really into originality, some are into protecting "sacred" designs and not changing iconic ones, but I think the key is being realistic. Make sure the NHL could use it on the ice. Blatant disregard for modern NHL rules, like gold jerseys no longer being allowed at home, are things that really make me think poorly of a concept. Major bonus points for if you're original, yet stay within the bounds of realism, which I think you did really well with the St. Louis concepts. Keep that kind of stuff up, and you'll do well around here. Oh, and NEVER PLAGIARIZE WORK! This includes clipart in any way, shape, or form. This board never lets that stuff go. Keep up the good work!

0623-nsh-jerseysleaked.jpg

just sayin.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Archived