NALL Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Shamrocks

Brian in Boston

The North American Lacrosse League's Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania-based franchise has revealed its name and logo. The team will be known as the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Shamrocks. Shamrocks was chosen over Haymakers and Bullies.

wbs_shamrocks_logo_300.jpg

The team's logo was designed by Chris Lochinski, principal of Lock Designs in Columbus, Ohio.

Its too much right now. The Shamrock stick with a little bit of work and a new wordmark could work by itself.

Also you can definitely tell the steps taken from changing the Union logo over to the Shamrocks. Its not a ripoff, but I wouldn't be proud of calling it my work.

The North American Lacrosse League's Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania-based franchise has revealed its name and logo. The team will be known as the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Shamrocks. Shamrocks was chosen over Haymakers and Bullies.

wbs_shamrocks_logo_300.jpg

The team's logo was designed by Chris Lochinski, principal of Lock Designs in Columbus, Ohio.

Nice design. It's a bit busy but it can work.

gYH2mW9.png

There's a difference between "inspired by" and lazy design work.

Compare.png

The WB/S text arc isn't so much "off-axis" as its arc radius is slightly too large.

I'm guessing the "Shamrocks" text is arched to combine with the ridges in the sides of the shield just to the left and right of it, to create the appearance of one big arch across the entire top half of the shield.

They should have gone with only seven shamrocks in the lower circle instead of nine (and spaced them out a bit more), so the ones on the far left and right don't nearly butt right up against the WB/S text arc.

CCSLC signature.png

There's a difference between "inspired by" and lazy design work.

Compare.png

The WB/S text arc isn't so much "off-axis" as its arc radius is slightly too large.

Call it whatever you want, it's poorly done.

I'm guessing the "Shamrocks" text is arched to combine with the ridges in the sides of the shield just to the left and right of it, to create the appearance of one big arch across the entire top half of the shield.

I don't buy that. Then why spell "LACROSSE" in a straight line? If you arch "LACROSSE" to match the "SHAMROCKS" arch, not only would it make more sense, but it would also help give the shamrock symbol below room to breathe.

They should have gone with only seven shamrocks in the lower circle instead of nine (and spaced them out a bit more), so the ones on the far left and right don't nearly butt right up against the WB/S text arc.

Nine would work fine, but each shamrock needs to be re-sized to about 75% of the current size. But my point was that the shamrocks are nothing but pure filler. If it were up to me, I would put "PROFESSIONAL LACROSSE CLUB" or "ESTABLISHED 2011" or something and maybe flank it with two shamrocks to use as bookends.

I don't buy that. Then why spell "LACROSSE" in a straight line? If you arch "LACROSSE" to match the "SHAMROCKS" arch, not only would it make more sense, but it would also help give the shamrock symbol below room to breathe.

Notice that only the top edges of the side ridges are arched. The word "Shamrocks" bridges the gap between those top edges to create a complete arch (or at least the illusion of one) across the whole shield.

The bottom edges are straight, so the word "Lacrosse" looks fine following the straight line between them.

CCSLC signature.png

Newspaper reports announcing the name and logo unveiling made note of the fact that Shamrocks team president and co-owner Jim Jennings said the logo was inspired by that of the Philadelphia Union.

The Times Leader (Wilkes-Barre):

"Jennings stated that the inspiration for the team's logo drew from the simpler designs of Major League Soccer teams, specifically the Philadelphia Union."

The Citizens' Voice (Luzerne County):

"As for the logos, Jennings said the team looked toward Major League Soccer and the Philadelphia Union specifically for its inspiration."

It doesn't make the - ahem - "development" of the Shamrocks logo any less suspect, but it appears that team officials were well aware of what they were getting.

Archived