Do you consider Mitchell and Ness Jerseys Authentic?

Axis_of_Weasel

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say that they are high quality replicas.

cant agree more - although they do have professional leagues behind them so... it's actually a good debate.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

I would say that they are high quality replicas.

cant agree more - although they do have professional leagues behind them so... it's actually a good debate.

Actually it's not a debate. If NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL consider them authentic, then they are authentic.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

Do they, though? The Packers don't call theirs "authentics", just "throwbacks".

Are they really authentic? No. Setting aside the occasional style error, the materials aren't always true to period originals, and the fit almost never is.

NFL Shop Packers AUTHENTIC jerseys

Home > Packers Jerseys > Authentic

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

But if the NFL has M&N jerseys listed under each respective team's authentic section on their official NFL Shop site, then they are authentic. Personal opinions aside, this is a fact.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

I guess it depends on your definition of "authentic." If M&N is selling a 1990 road Cubs jersey with the wrong number font on the back, I really don't care if the Cubs or anyone else "calls" it authentic, I know it's not. That is a fact. But then again, I expect authentics to be accurate if I'm going to pay a premium. Sounds like some of you are happy taking the team's word for it.

Given what the NFL sells as an "Authentic" jersey, I'd hardly consider them the bellwether on this.

Authentic = exact model as worn by players, tagging and all. Mitchell and Ness sells high-end, exacting (though sometimes not exacting enough) replicas.

I will say, though, that in the past few years, the authentic/replica line feels like it's become increasingly blurred, and I'd imagine plenty of other people make the distinction differently than I do.

If M&N is selling a 1990 road Cubs jersey with the wrong number font on the back, I really don't care if the Cubs or anyone else "calls" it authentic, I know it's not. That is a fact.

I thought that looked a little too squashed, for lack of a better word.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Not at all. The M&N jerseys, much as I love them, aren't true to the originals in either material or construction.

And Johnny, you're talking about a league with a very strange definition of "authentic" when it comes to retail jerseys. :P

Then none of the jerseys (M&N and Reebok) are authentic, because none of them are exactly like the game-worn jerseys that are worn on gameday and those are not for retail sale. Pick your poison. ^_^

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

Then none of the jerseys (M&N and Reebok) are authentic, because none of them are exactly like the game-worn jerseys that are worn on gameday and those are not for retail sale.

This is the correct answer.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Authentic, in my definition, is from the company that manufactured the jersey. So, a Terrell Davis authentic has to be made by Nike (as the Broncos were outfitted by Nike at the time). Plus all the specs, fabric is pretty much as accurate as possible to what the players wear.

That's a real fine line. M&N to me is considered a replica. But compared to other replicas, they make a huge effort to be accurate and I give them a higher regard over other kinds

Go A's!

If you are using the common sense everyday definition of authentic, then no. They were not made to be worn on the field during a game. If you are using the league/mfg definition of authentic which means they are made with nicer materials so they can sell them for a higher price, then yes they are authentic.

Authentic, in my definition, is from the company that manufactured the jersey. So, a Terrell Davis authentic has to be made by Nike (as the Broncos were outfitted by Nike at the time). Plus all the specs, fabric is pretty much as accurate as possible to what the players wear.

That's a real fine line. M&N to me is considered a replica. But compared to other replicas, they make a huge effort to be accurate and I give them a higher regard over other kinds

That's the same way I look at it. Nobody ever wore a M&N jersey on field, therefore it's not authentic, just a higher quality, higher priced replica.

Archived