Do you consider Mitchell and Ness Jerseys Authentic?

Axis_of_Weasel

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most, if not all of the Starter, adidas, Puma, Apex, Nike and Reebok tagged NFL team issued and game worn jerseys were made in Berlin, Wisconsin by Ripon Athletic prior to Nike becoming the official supplier of NFL uniforms.

Is that not the case anymore? I thought Ripon still made the actual on-field versions under license from Nike as they had for Reebok. Just tagged with Nike labels. Like how all Sam Adams beer sold any farther than a couple hundred miles outside of Boston is actually brewed by Miller.

Most, if not all of the Starter, adidas, Puma, Apex, Nike and Reebok tagged NFL team issued and game worn jerseys were made in Berlin, Wisconsin by Ripon Athletic prior to Nike becoming the official supplier of NFL uniforms.

Is that not the case anymore? I thought Ripon still made the actual on-field versions under license from Nike as they had for Reebok. Just tagged with Nike labels. Like how all Sam Adams beer sold any farther than a couple hundred miles outside of Boston is actually brewed by Miller.
I think Ripon still makes uniforms for the NFL teams that decided not to go with Nike's template and stick with the template they had been using.

Some of the Mitchell and Ness stuff just looks sloppy and inaccurate to me. For instance this 1994 Chiefs Marcus Allen jersey. I could be wrong, but I don't ever remember the Chiefs not having sleeve stripes, and this jersey has none.

282218.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49

645910dbeee74a008d4042f2822b6017.jpg

In 1994, the Cheifs played at least one game (against the LA Rams) where both teams wore throwbacks. The 1994 M&N Chiefs jerseys are the throwback version.

this game?

5182411721_075bbca8a4_n.jpg

5183009922_491cd0fc58_z.jpg

I think Ripon still makes uniforms for the NFL teams that decided not to go with Nike's template and stick with the template they had been using.

I have read that Ripon Athletic made 27 of the 32 NFL team's uniforms at the time of Nike's '12 unveiling and RA had "other" designs on the table for most of the teams. RA manufactures uniforms for teams that chose not to use Nike's template and materials, like Flywire.

6f464e55-6abd-4e92-8ed3-55294054cd9a_zps4cb745f0-396d-406b-aa2d-41a0409c5d7a_zps21dbccf3-aad2-4b7e-8950-645ef30f9d11_zps

The NHL also no longer sells "authentic" jerseys, the teams get ones from Canada and the retail authentics are made in Indonesia and are noticeably crappier.

This is true, yet not true. It is true that the NHL no longer sells them, but it is not true in the sense that they aren't available. There are numerous places to find authentic 7287 Edge 2.0's. Many are in Canada, but they are around. Just picked up a Blackhawks 2.0 with the wordmark this past week. Not an Indo-Edge nor a 7187.

Back on topic.

No, M&N is NOT authentic. They are replicas. In most cases, they are darn good, some of them nearing the point of being indistinguishable between a legit authentic or not. However, that doesn't mean they are "authentic". Just because you go to the NFL Shop online and M&N is under "authentic" doesn't make it authentic. It's just easier to do it that way so as to not confuse the public any more than they already are half the time about what they are purchasing. It tells the customer that it's a higher quality item opposed to a lower quality item. It'd make less sense to make a whole separate category for them to sell M&N under.

M&N's, Ebbets Field Flannels, etc, are almost in a category of their own. They're usually made to authentic standards (I say usually because M&N is slipping big time it seems), but are not authentic. Authentic means you are getting a geniune on-field/ice/court item, made to the same standards that the pros use, by the same company, from the same factories. Other than size or individual custom-tailoring differences, they are indistinguishable.

SIG1.png

SIG2.pngSIG3.png

The NHL also no longer sells "authentic" jerseys, the teams get ones from Canada and the retail authentics are made in Indonesia and are noticeably crappier.

This is true, yet not true. It is true that the NHL no longer sells them, but it is not true in the sense that they aren't available. There are numerous places to find authentic 7287 Edge 2.0's. Many are in Canada, but they are around. Just picked up a Blackhawks 2.0 with the wordmark this past week. Not an Indo-Edge nor a 7187.

Back on topic.

No, M&N is NOT authentic. They are replicas. In most cases, they are darn good, some of them nearing the point of being indistinguishable between a legit authentic or not. However, that doesn't mean they are "authentic". Just because you go to the NFL Shop online and M&N is under "authentic" doesn't make it authentic. It's just easier to do it that way so as to not confuse the public any more than they already are half the time about what they are purchasing. It tells the customer that it's a higher quality item opposed to a lower quality item. It'd make less sense to make a whole separate category for them to sell M&N under.

M&N's, Ebbets Field Flannels, etc, are almost in a category of their own. They're usually made to authentic standards (I say usually because M&N is slipping big time it seems), but are not authentic. Authentic means you are getting a geniune on-field/ice/court item, made to the same standards that the pros use, by the same company, from the same factories. Other than size or individual custom-tailoring differences, they are indistinguishable.

I think the word you're looking for is reproduction. That seems to cover your criteria. The real question is are they exact reproductions? That answers is most likely no but some of them are damn close. I'd say that it's probably much less the case now that they are owned by adidas.

So is the consensus then that no league that markets authentics actually sells true authentic jerseys?

Please someone corrects me if I'm wrong but I believe that if you but an authentic association football shirt, it is exactly what the players wear. And if you support some middle class team with a teamwear contract, they just wear the stuff off the store rack anyway.

Back on topic.

I think the word you're looking for is reproduction. That seems to cover your criteria. The real question is are they exact reproductions? That answers is most likely no but some of them are damn close. I'd say that it's probably much less the case now that they are owned by adidas.

So is the consensus then that no league that markets authentics actually sells true authentic jerseys?

the NBA does, i have a garnet authentic Rev30 from 2011 and its exactly what the players would have worn. but i personally consider an authentic to be anything that is made of the same materials, style and from the same manufacturer of what is used on the field but doesn't need to be the same cut. I consider a nike Elite NFL jersey an authentic because it uses the same material and style of of field product but has sleeves and isn't cut to fit the normal person, not an NFL player wearing pads. i consider the same for other leagues as well.

Back on topic.

No. No, no, no, no, no, no.

An "authentic jersey" purchased from NFL.com is NOT a "genuine on-field item, made to the same standards that the pros use, by the same country, from the same factories." That is what the companies WANT you to believe, but it is 10000% not true. The ONLY way to get an item of that description is to purchase a game-worn or game-issued jersey that was produced to see game action. Items bought at retail were not produced to see game action, they were produced for fashion purposes.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Back on topic.

the NBA does, i have a garnet authentic Rev30 from 2011 and its exactly what the players would have worn. but i personally consider an authentic to be anything that is made of the same materials, style and from the same manufacturer of what is used on the field but doesn't need to be the same cut. I consider a nike Elite NFL jersey an authentic because it uses the same material and style of of field product but has sleeves and isn't cut to fit the normal person, not an NFL player wearing pads. i consider the same for other leagues as well.

Don't the on court nba jerseys have additional reinforcement in the stitching, panels and numbers and things like custom sizing (+2 etc.) that the retail authentics don't?

Don't the on court nba jerseys have additional reinforcement in the stitching, panels and numbers and things like custom sizing (+2 etc.) that the retail authentics don't?

For the most part, yes. Custom length sizing, for sure.

Yeah River City Sports advertises having Edge 2.0s for popular teams and you can get them here and there but they are hard to find you really need to be a jersey hawkeye to find them.

1zgyd8w.jpg

Back on topic.

No. No, no, no, no, no, no.

An "authentic jersey" purchased from NFL.com is NOT a "genuine on-field item, made to the same standards that the pros use, by the same country, from the same factories." That is what the companies WANT you to believe, but it is 10000% not true. The ONLY way to get an item of that description is to purchase a game-worn or game-issued jersey that was produced to see game action. Items bought at retail were not produced to see game action, they were produced for fashion purposes.

Where? Where, where, where, where, where, where?

Where did I claim that that the "authentic" jerseys on NFL.com fit the criteria you took the time to bold in my post? Oh wait, I didn't.

Also, I have numerous authentic and numerous game-worn Reebok and Nike hockey jerseys. In both brands, the authentics are exactly identical to the game-worn jerseys other than the size and the evidence of it being game-worn. Also, one of my gamers has some tailering done to it, but that's a 3rd party modifcation, not a production difference. So, YES, depending on the make/model/sport, you can, in fact, purchase game-worn jerseys identical to what the pros wear. This does NOT mean ALL "authentic" Nike/RBK hockey jerseys are the exact on-ice jerseys as what they use in games, only that they are/were available. In the case of the NFL and Nike (or previously Reebok) authentics, I have not, nor will, make any comment on how accurate they are because I don't purchase "authentic" football jerseys nor game-worn football jerseys. That doesn't mean I don't have an opinion about how accurate the NFL "authentics" are, but I'll refrain.

SIG1.png

SIG2.pngSIG3.png

Yeah River City Sports advertises having Edge 2.0s for popular teams and you can get them here and there but they are hard to find you really need to be a jersey hawkeye to find them.

If by jersey hawkeye you mean shop anywhere than NHL.com, then yes. They aren't that hard to find and certainly not unavailable as you originally stated.

Where did I claim that that the "authentic" jerseys on NFL.com fit the criteria you took the time to bold in my post? Oh wait, I didn't.

Also, I have numerous authentic and numerous game-worn Reebok and Nike hockey jerseys. In both brands, the authentics are exactly identical to the game-worn jerseys other than the size and the evidence of it being game-worn. Also, one of my gamers has some tailering done to it, but that's a 3rd party modifcation, not a production difference. So, YES, depending on the make/model/sport, you can, in fact, purchase game-worn jerseys identical to what the pros wear. This does NOT mean ALL "authentic" Nike/RBK hockey jerseys are the exact on-ice jerseys as what they use in games, only that they are/were available. In the case of the NFL and Nike (or previously Reebok) authentics, I have not, nor will, make any comment on how accurate they are because I don't purchase "authentic" football jerseys nor game-worn football jerseys. That doesn't mean I don't have an opinion about how accurate the NFL "authentics" are, but I'll refrain.

I happen to have a game worn Patriots jersey from last years game in london, and an elite jersey. there are many inconsistencies in the design of the elite especially on the shoulder stripes. but all the materials appear to be the collar that appears to be reinforced on the game worn jersey, also the way logos, and numbers, and letters were added to the two is completely different. On the Elite jersey the stitching is a lot nicer to look at and cleaner, the stitching on the game worn jersey looks a lot more industrial i guess, but it also looks more durable. the cuts are also completely different because the game worn jersey is made for a player wearing pads, and designed help him play better, and be tighter and unresisting, versus the elite that is suppose to fit the normal person and look good.

also the Elite jersey says its made in honduras, it doesn't say on the game worn, but both have kiss cut numbers which i was pleasantly surprised with.

Maybe I misunderstood, but I took your quote to mean that an "authentic" retail jersey is made "to the same standards that the pros use, by the same company, from the same factories. Other than size or individual custom-tailoring differences, they are indistinguishable." Which, for almost all accounts, is untrue. I have little to no experience with NHL jerseys, so I can't speak for them. Most of my knowledge is in the field of NFL jerseys, where there are considerable differences between a retail authentic and a game-ready jersey.

If by jersey hawkeye you mean shop anywhere than NHL.com, then yes. They aren't that hard to find and certainly not unavailable as you originally stated.

Ok where. Icejerseys doesn't have them, Fanatics doesn't have them, Dick's doesn't have them, equipment sites don't have them, if you want an Edge 2.0 you have to really make an effort.

1zgyd8w.jpg

Archived