What are some of the best baseball cities?

bigbean24

I'm surprised more cardinals fans haven't flooded this thread yet with their credentials, redbird scabs tend to radiate toward gloating about their 'best baseball town' award crap espn gives them.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The good thing about St. Louis fans is that I can actually talk baseball with them. I can't do that with most 'fans' of the Red Sox, Yankees, or Phillies. St. Louis has a rich baseball history and if I see someone wearing a Cardinals cap, chances are he actually knows something about the team.

Both Baltimore and Kansas City are just waiting for a team to support.

PS. Worst baseball towns. Miami and Tampa. Florida doesn't deserve pro baseball.

Agreed. Rays fans couldn't even fill the Trop in 2008 during their World Series run. While there are some loyal Florida fans, baseball has no place in Florida. The Rays (world series berth, 2 divisions in 3 years) and the Marlins (2 WS titles in 7 years) are too good for their fairweather fans.

I find it very funny that you two decided to chime in on the tangent bolded above, considering the teams in y'alls respective sigs. (This next part don't specifically refer to y'all, but) funny thing is, a significant chunk of the "residents" of the areas in which these two baseball teams are located are made up of--wait for it--Boston/NY-area natives/retirees. Friggin' snowbirds...get on my damn nerves. :rolleyes:

I'm surprised more cardinals fans haven't flooded this thread yet with their credentials, redbird scabs tend to radiate toward gloating about their 'best baseball town' award crap espn gives them.

I'm disappointed in this place...in case y'all done forgot, we are ALL Cardinals. :P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Can't speak for other towns, but Atlanta is one of the best baseball cities in terms of overall interest. The Braves don't get a lot of attendance unless it's a big series, but that's just how the culture is down here. EVERYONE cares about the Braves, but only 20,000 people a night feel like dealing with traffic/parking/etc. People make an inaccurate assumption in claiming the Braves have a fairweather following--you can't spend five minutes in Atlanta without seeing a Braves hat on someones head...it's just kind of a weird baseball culture when it comes to attending games...

But, the metro area here is a baseball factory. Cobb County, where I live, is usually pumping out prospects, and Kennesaw State and Georgia Tech are big time baseball schools. Baseball might be more popular than basketball at Kennesaw State

I don't know, man. I was at the game in '05, I believe, where they clinched the division title and there was like maybe 15,000 people there. Maybe even less. It may have changed in the last couple years, but to me, Atlanta was a city spoiled by the Braves' success.

At opening day this year vs. the Phillies...loudest sporting event I've attended, and I've been to a lot. 40,000 people doing the tomahawk chop...THAT gives me goosebumps. Atlanta is a sports town, when the occasion is right.

but everyone follows the Braves with great enthusiasm whether they go to all of the games, or none of them. I've only been to two so far this summer (down year for me), but it doesn't matter...that's how it is for a lot of people.

PS. Worst baseball towns. Miami and Tampa. Florida doesn't deserve pro baseball.

Agreed. Rays fans couldn't even fill the Trop in 2008 during their World Series run. While there are some loyal Florida fans, baseball has no place in Florida. The Rays (world series berth, 2 divisions in 3 years) and the Marlins (2 WS titles in 7 years) are too good for their fairweather fans.

I find it very funny that you two decided to chime in on the tangent bolded above, considering the teams in y'alls respective sigs. (This next part don't specifically refer to y'all, but) funny thing is, a significant chunk of the "residents" of the areas in which these two baseball teams are located are made up of--wait for it--Boston/NY-area natives/retirees. Friggin' snowbirds...get on my damn nerves. :rolleyes:

I'm not saying that people from Florida are bad people, it's just that Tampa and Miami are not some of the best baseball towns. And I think the fact that a large part of the population is retirees makes for the reason that the Rays and Marlins are not so popular. 1. These people are not from Florida, and if they are baseball fans, they likely root for another team and 2. Expansion teams tend to reach out to a younger crowd. Lets say that the average retiree is 60 years old. That would mean that when the Marlins first came into the league, they were 42, and 47 for the Rays. I can't see people adopting a new favorite sports team at that age.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

I'm disappointed in this place...in case y'all done forgot, we are ALL Cardinals. :P

Sorry, but the fact Rays and Marlins fans suck has nothing to do with the snowbirds, who for the most part are still loyal to the teams from the cities they originate from. If it wasn't for those snowbirds, the attendance numbers would be even worse, since they are the one's who fill up the park when the Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, Phillies, Cubs, ect come to town.

I don't think NYC's a good baseball town either, with that population base, the Yanks should sell out every game.

That's not very fair. I mean, the Mets have their own chunk of the NYC attendance pie (and they do get decent attendance), so it's not like the Yankees are the only team in town.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

The Twins usually have great support around here, there is always people wearing Twins stuff and fans here are pretty knowledgeable about baseball and every once and a while they will give a cheer if another player gets hurt or if another player is throwing a no hitter. We are known as the State of Hockey but more people play baseball and the TV ratings in the Metro are pretty high from what I've heard.

t5ty54wyetw_zpsubqd9h5t.jpg

St. Paul Pioneers(GHA) Minnesota Skeeters(CL) Minnesota Lake Monsters(UFL)

Also, Oakland and Tampa Bay are unquestionably the worst baseball cities in America. They're both saddled with dumpy stadiums and no real fanbase of their own. While the A's and Rays have had periods of relevance over the last decade, the A's haven't won a championship in 22 years while the Rays have never won one - hardly a recipe for success in a fairweather baseball town.

Tampa Bay also suffers from an acute case of Snowbird Syndrome. Let's be honest - the Yankees/Red Sox/Mets fans in the area will produce Yankees/Red Sox/Mets fan offspring. Waiting around in Tampa Bay for "a new generation of Rays fans, it's gonna happen, honest!" is a quixotic waste of time and money. It's just not going to happen, and I say this as a Rays fan since 1998. I was also going to list Miami as one of the worst, but let's see how the fanbase responds to the awesome new stadium before we pass judgment.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I could careless about a team like the Rays who have no history, but the A's are a charter franchise in the American League and it's ridiculous what's going on with them right now. I'm not sure if Oakland or even Northern California is a good home for them. I always wondered if Philadelphia could support 2nd franchise. Obviously the Phillies would never let that happen.

The A's actually started in Philadelphia. So yes the city can support two teams. But I don't see any city getting a second Major League team. The ones that already have two are enough.

Supporting 2 teams then Doesn't necessarily mean they can now. Current teams have been too established that another team may not be successful coming into that fanbase. Chicago, NY and LA metro have had their teams for so long that a natural "split" has occurred. That's not very likely to happen at this point. I don't think St. Louis would be successful with a second team at all, and Philly and Boston, too, have too enriched fandoms that, though they seem like possible 2 team markets, they probably wouldn't work. In all honesty, I think NY adding a 3rd team (to probably New Jersey) would be the most likely scenario of adding a team to an existing market that has even the slightest chance of being successful, and even in that case it STILL would probably be a failure.

The A's actually started in Philadelphia. So yes the city can support two teams. But I don't see any city getting a second Major League team. The ones that already have two are enough.

Supporting 2 teams then Doesn't necessarily mean they can now. Current teams have been too established that another team may not be successful coming into that fanbase. Chicago, NY and LA metro have had their teams for so long that a natural "split" has occurred. That's not very likely to happen at this point. I don't think St. Louis would be successful with a second team at all, and Philly and Boston, too, have too enriched fandoms that, though they seem like possible 2 team markets, they probably wouldn't work. In all honesty, I think NY adding a 3rd team (to probably New Jersey) would be the most likely scenario of adding a team to an existing market that has even the slightest chance of being successful, and even in that case it STILL would probably be a failure.

A NJ based team has no shot to survive. Northern NJ is mostly Yankee fans with a lot of Mets fans sprinkled in. South Jersey is Yankee, Mets, and a lot of Phillies. A 4th team isn't competing with he Yankees, Mets, and Phillies.

Everyone is going to claim their city is the best...but Cleveland sold out 455 games straight, that pretty much speaks for itself.

I'd say most cities follow their teams pretty well except Toronto, Pittsburgh, and Tampa Bay...

Toronto and Pittsburgh are ahead of Cleveland in terms of attendance chief.

I dont want to turn this into "what city can support baseball" but Charlotte, Portland, Indianapolis and Vancouver would be good fan bases.

t5ty54wyetw_zpsubqd9h5t.jpg

St. Paul Pioneers(GHA) Minnesota Skeeters(CL) Minnesota Lake Monsters(UFL)

Everyone is going to claim their city is the best...but Cleveland sold out 455 games straight, that pretty much speaks for itself.

I'd say most cities follow their teams pretty well except Toronto, Pittsburgh, and Tampa Bay...

Did this topic say "this year" anywhere?? what about the past 18 years when pittsburgh was a terrible? They're just showing up now they because have a mediocre team, instead of a bottomfeeder

Did this topic say "this year" anywhere?? what about the past 18 years when pittsburgh was a terrible? They're just showing up now they because have a mediocre team, instead of a bottomfeeder

If we're using history in this discussion, who was the first city to reach 5 millions fans for a season....Yeah Toronto.

1zqy8ok.gif

Archived