What are some of the best baseball cities?

bigbean24

Ya know, St. Louis, it's pretty easy to be a "great baseball town" when in 22 of the last 29 full seasons (counting this year), the team has had winning records. Also, the 7 years with losing records?

-1983, year after a WS win

-1986, year after a WS loss

-1988, year after a WS loss

-1997, year after an NLCS loss

-1999, McGwire hit 65 homers

-2007, year after a WS win

The other year in there is 1990 (and you could throw in '94 and '95 as strike-shortened years), but really, maybe with the exception of the early 90's, the Cards have been competitive or coming off of a great year (or having a great storyline) every single year. It's pretty hard not to be a great baseball town when you have that atmosphere. You've gotta remember, even Cleveland was for those first 8 or 9 years at the Jake, the Tribe were really starting to become a competitive team.

Actually as far as competitive teams go, the 90's weren't much for the Cards. But fans still came out in droves no matter how the team played.

You're just a kid so it's understandable why you seem to have trouble accepting this.

"Came out in droves," eh? You're still giving yourselves too much credit. More often than not, the Cards found themselves in the middle-third of attendance in the 90's.

Do St. Louisians pat themselves on the back for being a great baseball town way to much? Yes. Is it annoying? Yes. Does it change the fact that it's still a great baseball town? No.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do St. Louisians pat themselves on the back for being a great baseball town way to much? Yes. Is it annoying? Yes. Does it change the fact that it's still a great baseball town? No.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't run into that very often. My experience has been that, outside the classic "today we are all Cardinals" post, the Cards fans around here handle themselves very well.

BB52Big.jpg

Maybe it's just me, but I don't run into that very often. My experience has been that, outside the classic "today we are all Cardinals" post, the Cards fans around here handle themselves very well.

Thanks.

You know, I was watching the Braves/Reds yesterday and those fans applauded even when the Braves made a good defensive play. After a few times the Braves announcers even said something about it. That's gotta make you feel like those fans really appreciate baseball. Now when Kimbrel was in, you could hear the tomahawk chop in the background (common for Braves road games this year) But for the most part the Cincy fans got loud and stayed loud the entire game.

You know, I was watching the Braves/Reds yesterday and those fans applauded even when the Braves made a good defensive play. After a few times the Braves announcers even said something about it. That's gotta make you feel like those fans really appreciate baseball. Now when Kimbrel was in, you could hear the tomahawk chop in the background (common for Braves road games this year) But for the most part the Cincy fans got loud and stayed loud the entire game.

Cincinnati is definitely in the upper echelon of baseball cities. Because they had the first team, they take it to heart and really embrace it. During some of the down years, it seems like they fall off a bit, but they are truly great baseball fans.

Archived