Rockies MLB Unis

Skull Position

Can you imagine Pete Rose or Joe Morgan or guys like that stepping up to the plate like that? I guess I'm an old fart, but I prefer the days when both sides were out for blood in the All Star game.

Because nothing says "exhibition for the fans" like career-limiting and permanent-injury collisions.

Well, okay, posting the picture was a poor choice to make my point. But it does annoy me to see players clowning around at the ASG. Thing is, these stunts are almost always more cheesy than funny.

Can you imagine Pete Rose or Joe Morgan or guys like that stepping up to the plate like that? I guess I'm an old fart, but I prefer the days when both sides were out for blood in the All Star game.

Because nothing says "exhibition for the fans" like career-limiting and permanent-injury collisions.

Well, okay, posting the picture was a poor choice to make my point. But it does annoy me to see players clowning around at the ASG. Thing is, these stunts are almost always more cheesy than funny.

Johnson/Kruk and Johnson/Walker were hilarious. Even the great plays are just better when it doesn't count. In 2002 when first time all-star Torii Hunter robbed Barry Bonds of a home run, Bonds had a big smile on his face and ran out as Hunter was coming in and picked him up and slung him over his shoulder. It was fun, pure and simple. They still try, they just have more fun with it.

Johnson/Kruk and Johnson/Walker were hilarious. Even the great plays are just better when it doesn't count. In 2002 when first time all-star Torii Hunter robbed Barry Bonds of a home run, Bonds had a big smile on his face and ran out as Hunter was coming in and picked him up and slung him over his shoulder. It was fun, pure and simple. They still try, they just have more fun with it.

How dare they go out there and have fun during an exhibition game!

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

The Nationals were only like 5 years old and they changed their identity already. Are we going to see the Rox do anything with their logo? any news any where?

As long as the Monfort brothers are still owning the team, I'd be very, very suprised if you see any type of logo changes.

As for the all Purple caps, those have not been worn in several years now.. (I too would like to see them wear that cap again).

I don't know. I never smoked AstroTurf. ~Tug McGraw, when asked if he preferred grass or artificial turf.

Again, I remember when National League players were National League players and American League players were American League players. It was a time before free agency, constant player movement, and inter-league play. The All Star game was a chance for one league to show that it was superior to the other, and the players took the game seriously. You didn't see Ted Williams going to the plate with his bat turned backwards. You didn't see Mickey Mantle laughing about a wild pitch. You didn't see Bob Gibson intentionally throwing a softball at a guy's head in hopes of getting some belly laughs.

As I said before, I'm admittedly an old fart, but I remember when the players took this game very seriously, and the nonsense had no place. Feel free to disagree that they had it right, but that's the way it was. It was much more than an "exhibition" to them, and to the fans who watched. Yes, things have changed. Players shift between leagues yearly, and face each other fairly often in interleague games. The game means nothing to them now. Perhaps the cheesy stunts and laughs are more important today, I guess they are. But those of us who remember a different time, it takes some getting used to.

If you are old enough to remember the times I speak of and still disagree with me, then I respect your opinion. But if you grew up watching Randy Johnson and John Kruk put on a comedy show, you're criticizing an era you know nothing about.

I expect the Rockies to introduce white pinstriped vests with solid white undershirts, and possibly a black sleeved road alt with gray pinstripes to go with their purple-pinstriped road pants, simply because they've run out of other ways to look bad.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Dude, don't yell at me. I wasn't even on your lawn.

And Johnson mistakenly threw a 90-plus fastball ball over Kruk's head. Would the sheer, potentially career-ending drama of John Kruk getting beaned in an exhibition game have been more palatable for you than Larry Walker making some found-object humor out of the situation?

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

And Johnson mistakenly threw a 90-plus fastball ball over Kruk's head. Would the sheer, potentially career-ending drama of John Kruk getting beaned in an exhibition game have been more palatable for you than Larry Walker making some found-object humor out of the situation?

Yes, you are correct. I'd prefer to see someone hit in the head and die right there on the field. That's exactly what I'm saying. So many careers have been ended by a player being hit in the helmet with a 70 mph pitch, and it would delight me to see at least one during an All Star game. Damn that Kruk. Why didn't he jump 20 feet into the air and get hit in the helmet to entertain me?

Again, I remember when National League players were National League players and American League players were American League players. It was a time before free agency, constant player movement, and inter-league play. The All Star game was a chance for one league to show that it was superior to the other, and the players took the game seriously. You didn't see Ted Williams going to the plate with his bat turned backwards. You didn't see Mickey Mantle laughing about a wild pitch. You didn't see Bob Gibson intentionally throwing a softball at a guy's head in hopes of getting some belly laughs.

As I said before, I'm admittedly an old fart, but I remember when the players took this game very seriously, and the nonsense had no place. Feel free to disagree that they had it right, but that's the way it was. It was much more than an "exhibition" to them, and to the fans who watched. Yes, things have changed. Players shift between leagues yearly, and face each other fairly often in interleague games. The game means nothing to them now. Perhaps the cheesy stunts and laughs are more important today, I guess they are. But those of us who remember a different time, it takes some getting used to.

If you are old enough to remember the times I speak of and still disagree with me, then I respect your opinion. But if you grew up watching Randy Johnson and John Kruk put on a comedy show, you're criticizing an era you know nothing about.

I disagree with you, but I see your point and respect your opinion. I'm old enough to remember the older ASG's (I attended the 1986 game at the Astrodome). I remember the animosity between the leagues. I just think there is a place for both that and for the more light-hearted ASG's we see now. It's an exhibition (even if they try to pass it off as important). Baseball is SUPPOSED to be fun sometimes.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I disagree with you, but I see your point and respect your opinion. I'm old enough to remember the older ASG's (I attended the 1986 game at the Astrodome). I remember the animosity between the leagues. I just think there is a place for both that and for the more light-hearted ASG's we see now. It's an exhibition (even if they try to pass it off as important). Baseball is SUPPOSED to be fun sometimes.

Each team plays 162 that are taken seriously. One game here can be for fun.

Yes, you are correct. I'd prefer to see someone hit in the head and die right there on the field. That's exactly what I'm saying. So many careers have been ended by a player being hit in the helmet with a 70 mph pitch, and it would delight me to see at least one during an All Star game. Damn that Kruk. Why didn't he jump 20 feet into the air and get hit in the helmet to entertain me?

I think he didn't jump in the air because RANDY JOHNSON THREW OVER HIS HEAD AND HE WAS IN FEAR OF HIS LIFE AT THE MOMENT. And it sounds like you want no entertainment value from this or any other game, which leads me to wonder why you watch baseball to begin with, or use the word 'delight' when you derive pleasure from absolutely nothing. Stay inside and board up your windows, we'll feed you through a hatch, but take your computing machine out of the wall-socket and put it in a closet somewhere.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

I think he didn't jump in the air because RANDY JOHNSON THREW OVER HIS HEAD AND HE WAS IN FEAR OF HIS LIFE AT THE MOMENT. And it sounds like you want no entertainment value from this or any other game, which leads me to wonder why you watch baseball to begin with, or use the word 'delight' when you derive pleasure from absolutely nothing. Stay inside and board up your windows, we'll feed you through a hatch, but take your computing machine out of the wall-socket and put it in a closet somewhere.

...and now he takes it personal.

To be such a fun-loving guy, you sure are confrontational and full of vitriol. You get belly-laughs from a backwards batting helmet or a wild pitch but then rip into someone for expressing an opinion that you don't agree with. Interesting, to say the least.

Archived