Viking logo

9erssteve

Ok I'll keep it short and sweet. I had no real intention to do a Viking logo at this time, I'd been online looking for refernce photo's so I could start a new logo and resurrect my old AFL rebrand project when I checked in here and saw Vicious's vikings logo. Something about it just caught my imagination and before I knew it I was sketching away and coming up with my own rif on his theme as it were.

Before anyone gets all bent out of shape, I've spoken with Vicious and he's cool with me doing my own thing based on his one, infact he's quite keen to see it. It's not 100% done yet and the white helmet is just a place holder just now, I know what I want to do with the stripes but not sure of the final colour scheme yet, used the minnesotta colours just for convenience more than anything else.

Anyway C&C's always appreciated. Thanks for viewing.

9erssteve

viking-test-helmet.png

9ersstevesig.png

Both the face and arm as separate elements are really well rendered (love the helmet especially), but the way you have them arranged currently doesn't make a lot of sense anatomically. It kind of looks like he's been put in a headlock by another viking.

Badger_zps8961c467.png

Nice logo, but he looks like he's golfing.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Both the face and arm as separate elements are really well rendered (love the helmet especially), but the way you have them arranged currently doesn't make a lot of sense anatomically. It kind of looks like he's been put in a headlock by another viking.

Have to agree with this. Maybe try giving him more of an elbow so it looks more like his arm. The teeth stand out too much IMO as well. Overall, this is a fantastic logo though, very well done.

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

It looks fantastic, I love the motion in the beard and hair, but something about the teeth just throws me off. I just wish I had teeth as nice as that.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I think a bigger shoulder would help make the arm look more attached to the same body as the head. It would also make the arm look longer since it's kind of short right now. The top teeth seem a little overdone or unecessary (not sure though since I havent seen it without top teeth). It's nice, but it doesnt seem like an NFL helmet logo to me. I dont think they should ever replace the horns, although I know this is only a concept.

wow, great job steve! The shading and everything is very well done. The only things I would say is maybe trying to add an elbow or elongating the shoulder, For some reason the angle of the axe bothers me. Maybe rotate it counter clock-wise so that it isn't behind the helmet? idk. Also, I am having trouble making out the nose. kind of looks like his nose is pulled up like when you pretend you're a pig when you are little.I think the nose should dip into the mustache just a litle bit. the teeth are a little too pronounced, and the part of the beard under his left (our right) mustache where it has two spikes coming out, I think you can minimize it into one. i dont see how two really helps it.

great work though, please post any updates.

-Vicious-

Picture21.png

@DeFrank; The logo is actually more oval than it appears in that grapic, that one has been warped slightly to sit on the helmet.

@udubs03; Thanks for the feedback, I'll look at moving the arm down and to the right a touch, but as for anatomical correctness I'm not keen to change it too much. The whole piece is supposed to be essentially eliptical. I liked Vicious's design but imo it wasn't a logo per se it was an illustration. It's footprint if you like would have made it difficult to use on a football hlemet or many other peices of sporting apparel. His design had great movement and energy and what I was trying to do here was keep that but make the piece more useable and I felt to do that it had to be given a more defined silhouette. You're right as of now it's too close to the jaw and he looks like he's being choked so moving it slightly might be in order but I doubt I'll add shoulders and elbows. I mean if I'm going for anatomical correctness the first thing I should look at fixing are the poor boys eyebrows! No way they'd go over the brim of his helmet in real life. ;) It's about finding a balance between correctness and stylisation and it's not quite right yet but I dont think it's far off.

@pscf3; Thanks but you dont make it clear in what way the eyes are off? Some more info would be helpful.

@nash61; Jeebus I'm glad I'm not a member at your golf course! ;) Yes a back hand swing is reminiscent of a golf swing but it's also one of the most natural swings when fighting with an axe as it give a wide arc is incredibly powerful and is less likely to cause damage to the user. Plus in this case it was perfect for keeping the elliptical shape I was going for with the logo.

@The Impaler & CS85; Thanks you're both right about the teeth. I'm far from happy with the mouth myself. As I said it's not 100% done yet and the mouth is by far the biggest area of concern will be looking to make some significant changes there in the next update.

@jaha32; This was never intended as a replacement for the Minessotta Vikings, I dont think they should change either they kinda own the horns on the helmet motif and it should stay that way. I put this on a football helmet as football templates are all I have. This would be more a college/semi-pro idea rather than NFL I think, not sure they'd be happy with a logo actually brandishing a weapon anyway they're kinda funny about stuff like that. I only used the Vikes colours cos it saved me having to find a suitable skin tone for myself, pure laziness I know! Chances are when it's all done these wont be the final colours, and the logotype may not even say Vikings.

@untvar; Thanks for the compliments! A "bearded" axe? What's that then? I Did some research into Viking weapons before putting the axe in there ande it's actually based on a genuine Viking fighting axe but if you have info about a more appropriate version I'm all ears.

Thanks for all the feedback guys much appreciated, anyone else got anything to add before I head off and start making revisions?

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

I like almost everything about the head except for the pig nose. Personally I love the eyes and the helmet.

The arm, to me, just doesn't work. Not only does it not feel like the arm belongs to him, but the forced perspective of the axe just makes it look like a drumstick with a large blade attached.

It doesn't have to be perfectly anatomically correct to match a realistic human (as you mention with the eyebrows), but by adding the arm, you are also treading on illustration territory yourself, IMO. I personally think the head is strong enough on its own.

With that said, I understand why you added it. It completes the picture and gives a reason for the dynamic motion.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, much appreciated. Here's a quick update, made some changes to the face, redrew the nose so it was easier to read, tidied up the mouth and changed up the top teeth as well so he looks a little less like Gary Busey ;)

vikefaceupdates.png

Not changed up the arm yet or fixed any of the beard issues yet I will get to those once I'm totally happy with the face. Again C&C's appreciated.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Very nice update, top teeth definitely look better. Classic comment on Gary Busey, love that! I still think the teeth just stand out too much though. Is there any way you can just give more of an indication of teeth rather than a mouth full of pearly whites? Maybe it's just me, but the teeth just really pull my eyes in.

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

The shading around the rivet on the center of the helmet looks odd, to the point that my eyes can't quite figure out what three-dimensional shape it's supposed to be. Great updates though, can't wait to see more!

9erssteve - this is one SPECTACULAR logo with the exception of the arm/head connection - i get what you're saying about trying to take license and make this a "logo" vice an illustration, but the arm just appears to belong to someone other than this viking - i think that perhaps giving the arm a "V" shape (sharpen the angle from the shoulder down to the elbow, and then rising back up to the hand/ax) vs. the current "U" or "J" shape would help tremendously

jldesigns404eo.png

The head is awesome 9er...

And actually, the arm's pretty good too.

It just seems to be a bit "off".

Could you throw the arm on another layer and move it around (out) til it's more in sync?

What would the head look like if it was flipped so that the beard flowed into the arm?

This is gonna be real nice.

Archived