Penguins/ LA Kings come to KC for preseason

KCScout76

Sept. 27th

11PensvsKings.png

My daughter is a Pens Fan so we are going. At least we get some hockey in Kansas City. We got nothing now, no minor league.

We do have 100 degree tempatures now. :wacko:

Oct. 15

11RocketsvsHeat.jpg

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

If KC still can't draw a decent crowd with a top-tier club like the Penguins in town, that should officially kill any and all relocation talk involving the Sprint Center.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

If KC still can't draw a decent crowd with a top-tier club like the Penguins in town, that should officially kill any and all relocation talk involving the Sprint Center.

So you can't judge a potential NHL city based on their AHL attendance figures but you can based on a pre-season game where neither team is close by? The only reason they are playing there is because the same company owns both the Sprint Center and the LA Kings.

So you can't judge a potential NHL city based on their AHL attendance figures but you can based on a pre-season game where neither team is close by? The only reason they are playing there is because the same company owns both the Sprint Center and the LA Kings.

I don't recall ever saying that, but, okay, let's judge Kansas City's validity as a potential NHL market based on their AHL attendance figures.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Hard Times in the Paris of the Plains

One day soon, the NBA lockout will be over, and a lot of people in [NBA] cities will celebrate. In Kansas City, they'll barely notice — except to possibly take umbrage at David Stern's refusal to honor us with a franchise that we don't really want except as validation of our needy aspirations to the big-time.

(Emphasis added)

If they really feel that way about the NBA in KC (this piece was written by a KC native), they must be even more apathetic about the NHL, where having a franchise doesn't even qualify as a bona fide community status symbol.

CCSLC signature.png

I don't recall ever saying that, but, okay, let's judge Kansas City's validity as a potential NHL market based on their AHL attendance figures.

Not you specifically, but the boards in general. Some claim that a low AHL attendance means a city isn't ready for the NHL while others say it doesn't mean anything. Some would say that if a neutral city doesn't sell out for a preseason game, it's not an NHL market. I used to be one of those people but I finally realized that one game, between two teams from cities far from the arena, doesn't mean a thing either way. If it does sell out, it still doesn't prove anything about KC as a valid NHL market, and if it doesn't, it shouldn't disqualify them from the discussion of being one.

Hard Times in the Paris of the Plains

One day soon, the NBA lockout will be over, and a lot of people in [NBA] cities will celebrate. In Kansas City, they'll barely notice ? except to possibly take umbrage at David Stern's refusal to honor us with a franchise that we don't really want except as validation of our needy aspirations to the big-time.

(Emphasis added)

If they really feel that way about the NBA in KC (this piece was written by a KC native), they must be even more apathetic about the NHL, where having a franchise doesn't even qualify as a bona fide community status symbol.

The guy who wrote that article was a walking contradiction when he was interviewed on the local sports radio station. Dude hasn't live in Kansas City since he graduated from High School. He does not have the pulse of what the Kansas City community thinks. Waste of time./

That preseason NBA Game has no chance of being played.

I think a decent amount of the regular season games have no chance of being played. When you have players looking to play overseas already, that should tell you just how far apart the two sides are.

I'm surprised its still even scheduled. They cancelled the summer league before the playoffs were even over.

The guy who wrote that article was a walking contradiction when he was interviewed on the local sports radio station.

That's how you're supposed to write for Grantland, if Klosterman and Gladwell are any indication. You put forth a ridiculous premise (Kansas City is a city in continuous and heartbreaking disrepair that yearns for a sports team it will never ever get), walk it so far back as to put forth a second, diametrically opposed ridiculous premise (Kansas City is a place like nowhere else in the world that don't need no stinkin' sports team because we remember old PSAs), then compromise somewhere between the two (Kansas City is a place in America). It's Hegelian dialectic for stupid people.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

That preseason NBA Game has no chance of being played.

I think a decent amount of the regular season games have no chance of being played. When you have players looking to play overseas already, that should tell you just how far apart the two sides are.

I'm surprised its still even scheduled. They cancelled the summer league before the playoffs were even over.

I think there is less than a 50-50 chance any games are played in the NBA next year, this is going get very ugly.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived