Need some help on a website issue

Mings

Hey guys,

I have an issue with my website that I'm unsure of how to fix. I rely quite a bit on a javascript gallery to showcase my projects. It looks and runs great in Safari, Firefox, Opera, Chrome, and IE 8 and under. This was fine until recently when I've seen more and more people coming to my website using IE9. I decided to test today using my mother's laptop and I noticed that my javascript gallery isn't showing the first thumbnail, nor the large picture that it normally would. I looked through to see if it was a CSS positioning issue, and tried a couple things. Still works great in all others but IE9. I'm wondering if one of you can help me out with this by checking out the code and seeing what it needs to make it work with 9 as well (I've noticed a drop off of hits lately, and I'm sure its due to this issue).

Here is an example page, but it is present in all pages that use it. Compatibility mode corrects the issue, minus the menu hovers being off.

I'd really appreciate any help with this. All other browsers check out fine, the issue seems to be only in IE9 (it didn't have an issue in IE8 if I recall correctly). Thanks in advance!

Josh

I'm guessing you downloaded the javascript from some other website, so I'd check there first to see if they have reported issues with the script for IE9.

It's possible to dynamically load a script depending on the browser you are using, so if you need to use another javascript for IE9, I'd look into that as well.

Start by checking if the script you are using has a newer version. Then try to find an alternate solution if necessary.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Since you have used something readily available from the internet, I hope they have tested their code on the latest IE browser. You could always write to them to let them know about the bug, or to check if they are already working on a newer version.

The website doesn't give much information other than "bug fixing" for most versions, so I can't help you there ;)

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Yeah, I went there last night to see if they had posted something about a fix, but their support page is very lacking. I'm going to recreate the gallery with the update to see if that fixes it.

Can someone check the page in IE9 for me? I've updated the script, so hopefully it has the fix.

Pollux, I've noticed that my hovers aren't lining up correctly when I use the scrollbar (for example, when I show half the screen on the site, then scroll down. When I hover over the menu icon after doing that, the hover is misaligned below the icon instead of to the immediate right side of it...tested in Safari, Chrome, Firefox and Opera, all the same issue). Any ideas?

Can someone check the page in IE9 for me? I've updated the script, so hopefully it has the fix.

Pollux, I've noticed that my hovers aren't lining up correctly when I use the scrollbar (for example, when I show half the screen on the site, then scroll down. When I hover over the menu icon after doing that, the hover is misaligned below the icon instead of to the immediate right side of it...tested in Safari, Chrome, Firefox and Opera, all the same issue). Any ideas?

You're using the "position:fixed" for the span element, which is probably why the position is messed up when you scroll. Off the top of my head, you could use "position:relative" but I would test that on one page first and see the results on all browsers.

Another option would be to wrap your whole menu with a div and identify it as the menu div: <div id="menu">. Then in your CSS, put that the menu is of "position: relative" and the span is of "position: absolute". This way the span's position will be absolute to the menu tag, so when that tag moves, the span move with it

Clear as mud?

Tried relative, but it didn't work last night. I'll try doing an absolute on the menu and see if that takes care of it. Thanks for the help Pollux.

Edit: With Paul's help....he was able to fix my coding mistake and get it working correctly! Thanks again Paul! If anyone sees anything else they think is odd, please let me know!

Archived