The iconic Ohio State sleeve stripe

Spearhead

Well, like I said, we've had this discussion before, but I worked (set up artwork and lettering for silk-screening) at a small time athletic uniform manufacturer in the 80's (supplied high schools and small colleges) and in the catalog (templates!) the thin-thick-thin single color stripes (trimed and plain) were listed as "Northwestern" and the thin-thick-thin two color stripes were listed as "USC" (which is what USC wore back then). The thin-thick-thin with a second color "floating" in between (Green Bay's) were listed as "Pro-Style".

I know its splitting hairs, but that's kinda what we do around here. And google searches are not quite what I'd consider proof of anything "official".

I don't suppose you could provide photo/drawing examples of what you mean here? I'm having trouble envisioning all of that. I'm not opposed to having different categories and names for these things, but they're all obviously derived from Northwestern Stripes.

I think like this.

fbstripes.jpg

USC's stripe is a Northwestern stripe. If it's thin-thick-thin, it's a Northwestern stripe, regardless of whether the thin stripes are the same color as the thick stripe or not.

I'll agree that they are all "Northwestern" stripes to me. But honestly football coaches are like many clients in the design world and aren't the smartest people on the planet and so you have to label the different "Northwestern" stripes differently to them so they get what they want. The conversation would be like this between a vendor and a coach:

Coach: I want my stripes like the Iowa Hawkeyes.

Vendor: Okay, so you want Northwestern stripes?

Coach: No. I want Iowa stripes.

Vendor: I know. Stripes like Iowa.

Coach: Yes.

Vendor: So you want Northwestern stripes with white separating the yellow stripes?

Coach: Yes, but Iowa stripes, not Northwestern stripes.

Vendor: Fine. You want Iowa stripes.

I'll agree that they are all "Northwestern" stripes to me. But honestly football coaches are like many clients in the design world and aren't the smartest people on the planet and so you have to label the different "Northwestern" stripes differently to them so they get what they want. The conversation would be like this between a vendor and a coach:

Coach: I want my stripes like the Iowa Hawkeyes.

Vendor: Okay, so you want Northwestern stripes?

Coach: No. I want Iowa stripes.

Vendor: I know. Stripes like Iowa.

Coach: Yes.

Vendor: So you want Northwestern stripes with white separating the yellow stripes?

Coach: Yes, but Iowa stripes, not Northwestern stripes.

Vendor: Fine. You want Iowa stripes.

Exactly. The catalog at this old sweatshop I was in (one of my all-time favorite jobs, if you don't count pay and working conditions) needed to make it easy for coaches (not ADs usually, and certainly not anyone with any design skills) to pick out what they were invisioning based on what NFL or major college team they wear attempting to rip a look from. The boss just needed them to check boxes... he didn't want to get into long conversations about which stripes would be what color, let alone how thick.

We had blank russell jerseys and we screened on stripes and numbers, sometimes stock logos. On a really exciting day, a school would send in original "artwork" which we had to clean up (this was all pre-computer stuff), so that gave you the oppourtunity to tweak a design and claim you were just trying to fix it. And all for a few bucks over minimum wage! The moral? Get your degree in graphic design, not fine art.

But I think Northwestern's current home jerseys might be the worst use of Northwestern stripes you can think of. Did they really think a thin black stripe on a purple jersey was a good idea?

wisconsin.jpg

Northwestern just needs to get rid of the black in their uniform altogether. Their shade of purple is too dark for the colors to look good together.

USC's stripe is a Northwestern stripe. If it's thin-thick-thin, it's a Northwestern stripe, regardless of whether the thin stripes are the same color as the thick stripe or not.

OK, again, that's your definition. You're welcome to it, but its no more official than anyone else's.

Well, that is true. I've searched everywhere and calling that pattern the "Northwestern Stripe" is strictly an opinion and far from fact. Granted, the term "Northwestern Stripes" is used to describe that pattern type in various websites and etc, but I'm willing to bet that isn't the official name. I will however give Northwestern credit for creating that pattern since it does show up on their 1909 uniforms and I cannot find any other team that dates back any further. Interesting topic though.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

I don't know if they invented it, but they popularized it, which is why the striping pattern is now named after them.

Yeah, I'm not arguing that a traditional thin-thick-thin single color stripe isn't commonly called a "northwestern" stripe. Of course it is. I'm just wondering how far you can alter that basic stripe pattern, before the term is no longer specific enough to mean anything.

Seriously, the stripe on the New York Giants' road uniform and on OSU's traditional jerseys can both be called "Northwestern" stripes? Hell, if that's the cae, what ISN'T a northwestern stripe? (This last bit wasn't directed at you, Gothamite, but at a few previous posters)

OK, again, that's your definition. You're welcome to it, but its no more official than anyone else's.

By your definition, the stripes that Northwestern wears are USC stripes, not Northwestern stripes. Are you familiar with the old robot saying "DOES NOT COMPUTE"?

While I grew up during the old ohio state stripes I'm more on the side of their new ones because it matches the pattern on their helmet and pants. New unis and the players dismantling their sleeves does make such a thick stripe set as the old Ohio state almost ridiculous (see steelers), but those byu unis look great...so glad the bibs were short lived. If something's broke don't fix it unless its so great you will never have to redirect to the past 5 years later! On that note...Texas A&M needs to tell adidas to give them traditional strips like a couple years back or none at all because that squiggly line on the pants are dumb and bring nothing to the uniform as a whole ESP since the top has no piping to my knowledge.

By your definition, the stripes that Northwestern wears are USC stripes, not Northwestern stripes. Are you familiar with the old robot saying "DOES NOT COMPUTE"?

The stripes that northwestern wear NOW (which suck)... not the stripes they wore way back when the term was coined. Yes, they now wear what I think of as USC stripes (even though USC doesn't wear those anymore either!), but you can barely tell because: A. - the black is so dark it disapears into the purple and actually looks like one white stripe alone, and B. - the sleeve is so narrow, half of what's supposed to be there is gone anyway.

What, haven't you noticed the White Sox wear black sox? How does that compute?

And... "old robot saying"? If robots say it how old can it be?

I think it's fair to say we won't argue about what UCLA stripes are.

Wait. What the heck am I thinking? We argue about anything and everything. My goof.

Yeah, I was just about to ask where you thought you were. ^_^

I think it's fair to say we won't argue about what UCLA stripes are.

Wait. What the heck am I thinking? We argue about anything and everything. My goof.

Yeah, I was just about to ask where you thought you were. ^_^

Yeah, I would argue thanks to the new fit of these sleeveless jerseys, NOBODY wears a UCLA stripe anymore! :grin:

Archived