Winnipeg Jets Release Logo

OchentaYOcho88

Bummer. Merchandise already there. Was hoping for a Portland Timbers thing where the outrage trickled back to the organization and they refined the logo.

The Timbers sold plenty of merchandise - caps, tshirts, scarves and the like - before the logo was redesigned.

But is there anywhere near the reaction to these are there was to the Timbers logo? Doesn't look like it. Where's the "outrage" in Winnipeg? The situations don't seem all that similar to me, considering that the Timbers already had a good logo that the fanbase loved, and the Jets never had a really timeless look.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Screenshot2011-07-25at12456PM.png

The wordmark on the Jets wallpaper is really nice. Fits the military theme quite well. Hopefully they use this often.

SEE!?! I love that font for THIS team identity, it makes sense here. and it would fit in well with this:

WinniJetsLogoSet_1.jpg

because the leaf in the original roundel is represented and echoed by the red jet rather than forcing the Maple leaf iconography into the jet motif.

SEE!?! I love that font for THIS team identity, it makes sense here. and it would fit in well with this:

WinniJetsLogoSet_1.jpg

because the leaf in the original roundel is represented and echoed by the red jet rather than forcing the Maple leaf iconography into the jet motif.

I still don't see the need for the circumflex ... its not even as wide as the one for the True North logo (if that was the intention), so why use it ... it just gives it a compass look which I don't see why it's needed.

Sorry ... I still like the 90s look ... I'm a pathetic traditionalist :therock:

I am in agreement with most of the other people on this board. I don't hate the logo, but I wouldn't consider it good. Easy fix is the remove the maple leaf, make the jet red, and remove the ^ at the top of the circle. Adding "Winnipeg" or "Winnipeg Jets" in the blue roundel would improve it as well I think. I do like the theme they were going for, but I don't think it was done properly. I think their home jersey in powder blue would look great though with the logo, I really hope they go for that over a Navy shirt.

Overall I give it 5/10, I think with a few minor tweaks though it could be a great simple classic logo along the lines of the Canadiens or Maple Leafs. I think they tried to hard to integrate the True North name in the logo by making it look like a compass, and it ruins the logo.

For the purposes of hockey imagery, I'm going to say the Maple Leafs do own the maple leaf. Even though Chipman knelt down and kissed the ring for the pension plan (oops, bad metaphor?), it's encroaching on the Leafs' territory just as much as the Lightning are.

This whole argument is ridiculous. The red maple leaf is the central image of our country's flag, any sports team in the country is entirely within reason to make use of it in their logo identity if they so choose. And you know, if you're doing a military theme in Canada, the maple leaf is going to be part of your logo package.

In admiral's defense, while the Maple Leaf is the symbol of Canada, there already is a team called the Maple Leafs. So specifically using a Maple Leaf as part of another team's identity can, in theory, dilute the brand of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

I really don't find that argument to have much weight. Unless you'd want to argue the very specific case of colour blind people who can't tell the difference between Blue and Red. Or more specifically, illiterate and colour blind people who can't read the "TORONTO" that is a feature of the primary logo of the Maple Leafs.

Bummer. Merchandise already there. Was hoping for a Portland Timbers thing where the outrage trickled back to the organization and they refined the logo.

The Timbers sold plenty of merchandise - caps, tshirts, scarves and the like - before the logo was redesigned.

But is there anywhere near the reaction to these are there was to the Timbers logo? Doesn't look like it. Where's the "outrage" in Winnipeg? The situations don't seem all that similar to me, considering that the Timbers already had a good logo that the fanbase loved, and the Jets never had a really timeless look.

True. I still see a fair amount of product on the shelves out here bearing that original MLS Timbers logo. My wife couldn't tell the difference and bought me a car sticker with that logo.

When these Jets logos came out, I kept looking for a parallel to the Portland situation. But Gothamite's right, the new Jets identity seems to have embraced by Winnipeg's fan base. Otherwise, they wouldn't have sold out of merch on the first weekend. In Portland, the fans were talking boycott when the new logo was unveiled.

Screenshot2011-07-25at12456PM.png

The wordmark on the Jets wallpaper is really nice. Fits the military theme quite well. Hopefully they use this often.

WinniJetsLogoSet_1.jpg

so much better. good job Tim. this logo takes advantage of some Gestalt theory, where theres a missing piece of the whole puzzle, but your mind is able to put it together and "connect the dots". the maple leaf isnt needed. its clear where the inspiration is from and what its communicating.

take a crack at that wordmark

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Worlds better.

The roundel doesn't look like a roundel without the leaf, combining the leaf and plane is an inspired solution, although emphasizing the leaf design would probably incite a new round of "not everything in Canada is a maple leaf" criticism.

They wouldn't need to get rid of the leaf completley, but the plane should be more of a focal point than the leaf. Right now, it's not. Why is there a 3D metalic leaf while the jet has no depth? If they made the leaf a solid red and did something to emphasize the jet more, it would look a lot better.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Worlds better.

The roundel doesn't look like a roundel without the leaf, combining the leaf and plane is an inspired solution, although emphasizing the leaf design would probably incite a new round of "not everything in Canada is a maple leaf" criticism.

I agree that looks great and is really well thought out. Amazing how something can be worked on for months(?) and within a weekend of its unveiling someone can blow it out of the water with a spot on refinement.

Maybe they just didn't have time but what they went with looks like round 1 of what should be a 3-5 round refinement process.

Logo set is the definition of "meh" to me. I do like the fact that the primary circle mark doesn't contain any useless text like "Winnipeg Jets hockey club" or some other obvious nonsense.

Not seeing the significance of the maple leaf in the second or tertiary mark. Sorry, you can't sell that one as belonging to the roundel. In the script logo it definitely detracts, as pointed out previously. But at least no one can forget what country they're from, and that's the important thing, right?

Hmmm... and no one has a problem with FOUR teams using stars prominently in their logos? -Dallas, Columbus, Washington, Minnesota (both primary & secondary)...

Archived