Winnipeg Jets Release Logo

OchentaYOcho88

That wordmark is a huge detriment to everything ever.

Not really, but it's definitely keeping me from buying that hat style. That and the velcro. I'll wait for the American Needle Flexfits.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So hoping that "GOALS FOR KIDS" will replace the team name on one of those shoulder logos.

Perhaps you could replace the maple leaf in the center of the wings with a heart, too. Just spitballin'.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Has there been any merchandise to this point featuring the wordmark? Maybe that will become one of those things that's technically part of a team's identity, but gets buried. I can't fathom it appearing on the uniform other than maybe the helmet, and even there, I could just see them using the primary.

159444.jpg159444a.jpg

159443.jpg159443a.jpg

Wow that wordmark really does ruin the cap doesn't it? They should sell seam rippers with the caps.

I posted the sRGB versions of the new Jets' marks on my blog:

Winnipeg Jets 2011-2012 Marks

Take a careful look at how the two shades of Red play off of each other...this is a perfect example of how some designers don't give any thought as to how certain colors look on screen vs. how they will look when printed. When the true versions of those Reds are presented against one another, they look awful. I would expect them to tweak these colors in the near future.

(Chris or any of the mods can use these marks for the site if wanted.)

I think that's a misleading use of the term, implying that the Jets will have to stop using their logo at the end of the agreement.

True North has been very upfront about their deal with the Canadian military, which includes donations to military charities for the rights to use the roundel.

Would that the Padres did as much.

Don't even care so much about "behind the scenes" so much as making substantial financial payments. Not "percentage of the profits from this particular military-themed merchandise".

The Padres use the USAF roundel, just as the Jets are now using Canada's. Is San Diego paying real cash money for the privilege? I'd like to think so, but I doubt it.

I posted the sRGB versions of the new Jets' marks on my blog:

Winnipeg Jets 2011-2012 Marks

Take a careful look at how the two shades of Red play off of each other...this is a perfect example of how some designers don't give any thought as to how certain colors look on screen vs. how they will look when printed. When the true versions of those Reds are presented against one another, they look awful. I would expect them to tweak these colors in the near future.

(Chris or any of the mods can use these marks for the site if wanted.)

My only guess is that these may have been the best two red thread colors in stock and ready to go to production. The extremely short timetable forced the identity to only use fabrics and threads that were 1. already in use for hockey and 2. heavily in stock for production. Normal lead time is about 18 months, often even more than that. This identity is going from concept to on-ice in about 4 months.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Icethetics is reporting that the team said that the only red on the jerseys will be the maple leaf. There goes the RCAF Moose jersey idea.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

You know, a lot of teams have done these "paying tribute to military" fashions, such as the Padre's camo set, and even my own Blue Jackets who have essentially marketed the Civil War as a brand. Now that the Jets have continued this trend (perhaps a "fad"), its becoming more prevalent throughout the sports world. A lot of people would scowl the thought of a McDonald's-sponsored uniform set, yet overtly military-themed sports uniforms are praised. I feel military tributes are becoming a "Nobler than thou art" complex for franchises. Do you know how we can support our country through sport? During the Olympics, the IIHF Championships, the World Cup of Hockey. Remember, it's just a game; let's not over-politicize it.

*Que rebuttals explaining why I am an ingrate and unpatriotic.*

*Images of favorite sports teams/players*

You know, a lot of teams have done these "paying tribute to military" fashions, such as the Padre's camo set, and even my own Blue Jackets who have essentially marketed the Civil War as a brand. Now that the Jets have continued this trend (perhaps a "fad"), its becoming more prevalent throughout the sports world. A lot of people would scowl the thought of a McDonald's-sponsored uniform set, yet overtly military-themed sports uniforms are praised. I feel military tributes are becoming a "Nobler than thou art" complex for franchises. Do you know how we can support our country through sport? During the Olympics, the IIHF Championships, the World Cup of Hockey. Remember, it's just a game; let's not over-politicize it.

*Que rebuttals explaining why I am an ingrate and unpatriotic.*

Without getting into the politics of the issue, I would have a problem if the military organizations were paying money to dictate any part of the creative process, just as I would have a problem with any other corporate sponsorship. These teams are wholly responsible for their identities. In the case of the Jets, the team went with a logo package and sought permission from the RCAF to use a logo similar to theirs, in return for which they are donating a small amount of money to the RCAF (a million over ten years).

It's coming ever closer to the line of corporate sponsorship, but the responsibility for the design is still solely with the Jets (and the NHL & Reebok), so I don't have a problem with it.

The second issue, the use of nationalistic and militaristic imagery in general - in the context of the Padres and Jets, it seems more a nod to military presence in the cities themselves rather than a flat nationalistic gesture. In the context of the Jackets, they've always contended that the identity is tied to the history of Columbus and Ohio during the Civil War. As long as there's a local connection, I can live with it. If the Avalanche had a shoulder patch honoring the Coast Guard or something like that, I'd have a problem with it. The Jets are pushing closer to that line with this deal, but they're still just short of crossing the line.

nhl94vansigpng.png

Archived